VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does this need more enthusiasm?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Does this need more enthusiasm? Reply with quote

I'm mostly a narrative/essayist type voice, but a guy wants me to do an intro for his podcast and I know he wants a higher level of energy than my usual "academic" style. I want to maintain a personal connection and don't want to go too far over the top all radio "pukey," but I might be too restrained. Does this sound good to you or do you think I need to amp it up?

http://soundcloud.com/pjhawke/gc-test

All the paid commercial work I've done is in the Halloween industry, so most of the really animated voicework I've done has been character voices and I seem to fall back into narrative mode when I use my own voice.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only your client knows for sure. Ask them if the like the energy level and offer to adjust it if they want more (or less).

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Bruce said. The client's the only one that has to like it.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the energy, just worry (actually DON'T WORRY AT ALL) about being engaging and sounding like you really believe in the ideas. Like you wrote it yourself. As you hint at yourself, nobody likes put-on energy. I think the projection and pacing is fine...think about how you seem to be much more engaged in the middle and end of phrases, while the starts are kinda bland. For example, when you say "Clean, renewable energy" it sounds like you're looking ahead at how to hit the end of the sentence rather than engaging in the idea of CLEAN and RENEWABLE. You don't have to over-emphasize those words, but you have to give them as much lovin' as any other word. Wink All that said, good job on trying something new and you're well on the right track.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: