VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do YOU spell it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Davis wrote:
I think Liz is a Voiceoverista.

In that case- Liz, I'd like a venti chai tea latte please.
Kiss
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comin' right up!
Kiss
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbinbeamo wrote:
I agree with Bob about using all versions of the craft that we do for SEO purposes as there are a number of ways the term is searched.

Recognizing this, I've been using all three versions – in page text and in the keyword tags – on my website for a number of years already.

But it appears that Google (maybe the others, too) treat the hyphenated version exactly the same as the two-word spelling. HOWEVER, if the double-quote marks are used (to request an exact phrase), the results can be and often are slightly different.

What can be annoying to those searching for voice over talent is VoIP, or voice over internet protocol ("Voice, fax, SMS, and/or voice-messaging applications—that are transported via the Internet, rather than the public switched telephone network"). When someone performs a search containing the words 'voice over,' the results will also include VoIP, which can cause a frustrated/impatient searcher to limit his or her searching and explore only those valid search results that appear on the first and second pages only (if they even go to the second page).

Learning to use the advanced search features will yield much better results but, again, if people don't like to read a lot, they'll never explore the advanced search options. (I use them all the time, and highly recommend learning them; they're very simple.)

Back to page text; because "most people don't like to read a lot," some folks will advise against having more than a brief paragraph or two of page text. However, while Google wants to see a fair amount of text, the fact is, no website visitor is forced to read anything they don't want to.

To maximize SEO, Google strongly advises that text is written for people to read, and that it contains as many most important keywords as possible without compromising the readability. This is because the search engines can tell when text is nothing more than a means of getting the keywords mentioned.

Break up the text into 'small-ish' paragraphs and use head/sub headlines to set them apart so that site visitors can jump to what interests them.

Several years ago, some people would try to trick the search engines by putting all their keywords into page text, at the bottom of the page, but giving the text the same color as the page's background (to make it 'invisible.') Google got wise to that right away and, now, burying keywords in that manner will cause a site's ranking to drop or not be indexed at all.

I just recently ran across a site that had all their keywords in a paragraph labeled as such at the bottom of the home page, but it was plainly seen. I don't know how Google would treat that.

Highly Recommended Reading: http://support.google.com/webmasters/?hl=en

heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, Mike hits the sweet-spot on the issue.... The more I read his comments, the more I appreciate just how well-read he is....

Google indeed disregards the hyphen in question, and sees both spellings as the same.

His comments on SEO are also on-point. Google has learned over time just how marketers try to game the use of keywords on webpages. Laundry lists won't work, hidden or visible. The best way to use keywords on your page is to use them contextually in the body copy of the page.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly.... Don't let your quest for traffic blind you to the point of having a webpage in the first place.... to best sell YOU as a product. Most of the traffic to your page is likely to be arriving there because of the results of your marketing efforts, not SEO. Don't torpedo your page in hopes of incremental gains in traffic. Content is king.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thank you, Don, for your kind words!

When I share, I try my best to make sure it's all factual.

voicejones
Contributor III

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: oh what fun it is Reply with quote

Wow I didn't know how much fun I was stirring up with my original question.
I have gained wisdom from most of your posts and smiles and chuckles from the rest.
Thank You
.Voiceoverist Jones signing off
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official... the current banner at the top of the page declares it so...
"Yes, we are voiceoverists."

(anyone who wants to argue with Deirdre does so at their own risk)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: