VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Again: Mac help please! and PC Folk
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Again: Mac help please! and PC Folk Reply with quote

Hi
I started a new inquiry so I could include the PC folk.

Ok .... I give up .... got me a nice expensive venue for email and occasional coaster now w/Lion . I checked w/ apple ... Snow Leopard is not an option any longer.

Hindsight is 20/20 .... should've just spent the 800 bucks for a new board
for my old macbook pro / Tiger (yes Tiger).

I spent 2hrs on the phone and in person at the Genius bar to resolve all of my audio problems. Bought a new usb mic to replace the Samson C01U for quickie auditions and a new m-audio interface , Fast Track , for my studio mic . What a surprise ... m-audio hasn't updated their software to talk to Lion yet.

Guess, the good news is I'll get my $300 back 'cause the mic and Fast Track will be returned.

I can't continue to pass on auditions daily.

What would be your recommendation(s) for a Reasonably ( cheap would be the operative word) priced PC laptop for audio only . Something that a usb mic will work with and an audio interface that will function in my studio. Just what I need ... to spend more money that I don't have to throw away, but if I don't do something I won't be able to do anything for a few years to come until all the peripheral companies decide to upgrade their drivers for their software.

Just need something that will allow me to record.

Gotta go, so I can see if I can coerce Lion to "talk" to the new "compatible" HP printer. Compatible .. Ha! .. yeah right!

Thanks for your help!

Cyndi
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a copy of Snow Leopard for $20 off ebay, install it and never look back.
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you do that if the computer came from the factory with Lion built in?
Vocalvoodoo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read somewhere today that the Macs that come with Lion can't run Snow Leopard.

But here is a guide on how to get SL running on a Lion machine. Beware, it looks like a real PITA.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/government/how-to-install-snow-leopard-on-a-brand-new-lion-based-mac/10652

I don't know the whole story but another option could be buying a used Macbook/MacBook Pro from Craigslist that will work with your gear so you can get you up and running for the time being. They go for pretty cheap, relatively (For instance, there is a 13" MB, not pro, in my neck of the woods for $500). You could then sell it, and your broken one (people will buy them for parts), to recoupe some, or most, of your $$$ once the new Mac you have is compatible or you get an interface that is.

Depending on what will and won't work on your old Mac, you could actually boot from the old Mac's hard drive using firewire target disk mode, I THINK. At the very least you can copy all your files and programs from the old to new Mac easily. I know your mobo is hosed, so the HD may not be accessible using firewire target disk mode. Bu of course that all depends on how fried the old Mac is.

* DISCLAIMER: I love buying and selling stuff, and also enjoy doing things the hard way sometimes. Smile So that suggestion above may actually be a horrible idea!

Yeah, I know those are a lot of hoops to jump through, but you could be back up and running tomorrow with a system you know well.

But as you're suggesting, a cheap PC could also do the trick. There are plenty of under $400 PC laptops that I'm sure would get the job done. Although I can't suggest one that I "know for sure" would work with your gear. But you could always bring your USB mic, or other gear, to the store with you to test before buying.

Last edited by Vocalvoodoo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob - from what i'm reading on the interwebs, you can't do what you suggest.

Quote:
Snow Leopard cant' be normally installed on a new 2011 Mac with Lion, even if the 10.6.3 Snow Leopard retail disk has the 2011 hardware drivers because the firmware wont' allow the disk to boot.

however - i DID find this article (clicky) that might make it possible.

i don't see how you can get around that even with something like "Pacifist".

it sounds like a P.I.T.A.

bless the mac folk and their pointy little heads!

(i'm typing this from a mac ... so don't yell at me!)

Vocalvoodoo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, I just updated my post with the same link, Todd. I was too slow. Smile
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. A friend of mine just did it last week. I'll see her in the morning and will get the details on which machine, etc. I do know it was a Macbook Pro but I don't know which one.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! just saw that! i'm sticking with Snow Leopard until i have a good reason to upgrade. FCPX ain't it, by the way.

just fyi - i'm running a hybrid (i refuse to call it a hackintosh because it's factory mac parts) that i have about $600 invested in.

Intel Core i5 Quad Core Processor
8gb DDR3 Ram
GeForce GT240 graphics card
MultiBeast.tonymacx86 Boot ROM

Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on drive "a"
WIN7 on drive "b"

i dual-boot flawlessly. i even picked up a NASTY virus on the pc side and booted into mac to fix it ... pretty awesome.

i'm thinking about adding a linux drive just for fun.

Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyndi, this might be one of the longest shots ever, but it could be a solution for you.

If you still have the possibility of returning the Macbook for a full refund, you can buy older model Macbook Pros with Snow Leopard on eBay and similar sites. That's where I got mine, which runs perfectly fine.

A complete long-haul, but a possible solution for you. I really dislike that Apple shuts people out from old operating systems.
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you , All

I am so upset about all this and I'm really really pissed off at Apple .. like it matters ... right?

Why introduce a product that does not function ? I don't have an iPhone,but remember when the last one came out and all the problems people had?

Never had problems with Apple products before and I go back to the OS9 iMac days, but when I walk into the store , I shudder ... there's such a stepford climate that I find really scary.

This is such a mess..... there's just gotta be a pony somewhere (some of you will get this)
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Again: Mac help please! and PC Folk Reply with quote

Cyndi wrote:
I spent 2hrs on the phone and in person at the Genius bar to resolve all of my audio problems. Bought a new usb mic to replace the Samson C01U for quickie auditions and a new m-audio interface , Fast Track , for my studio mic . What a surprise ... m-audio hasn't updated their software to talk to Lion yet.

Cyndi

M-audio updated its drivers for the Fastrack at the end of July... the only software involved with the audio interface is the control panel, and that shouldn't be a major issue..

from the M-audio site:

Officially Qualified

The following devices and add-ons are qualified for use on Mac OS X 10.7 & 10.7.1 (Lion). Please visit www.m-audio.com/drivers to download the latest updates. It is only necessary to install the latest version; DO NOT install previous versions. For users that have upgraded from 10.6, please run the included uninstaller to remove previous M-Audio driver versions before installing the latest version.

Fast Track
Fast Track Pro
Fast Track Ultra
Fast Track Ultra 8R
Fast Track USB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! ... I couldn't find 10.7.1 earlier tonight ... I appreciate the help.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac OS X 10.7/10.7.1 (Lion) Compatibility Information – Updated September 1, 2011

Apple has now released the latest version of Mac OS X Operating System, Version 10.7 (aka Lion), and the 10.7.1 update. We recommend not installing operating system updates until a driver has been posted for that specific operating system.

It is also important to disconnect your M-Audio device before installing any Operating System update.

So basically, Apple is releasing an update to Lion (10.7.1).. M-Audio has a driver update for 10.7.1...important to note that before installing 10.7.1 from the Apple.com site, to disconnect the Fasttrack from the USB port
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it does not work you can of course get Apogee One or a Duet2

THe Lion driver for the Duet2 is in Beta, but should be just fine and the One driver is rock solid.

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike...... okay ... it's already been established that I am not the most tech-savy
pencil in the box and I tried to send this as a PM to hide this embarrassing
fact (too late , probably) but I've either "sent" this too many times to you (oops) or it isn't flying thru
cyberspace at all..... so here it is in a post

Thank you for your suggestion. I've been watching some of the YouTube Tutorials with George Whittam re: Apogee One ... Gee... it's looks so simple and I could use Twisted Wave with it apparently.

These may seem like stupid questions but bear with me ....

I record two different ways ... Auditions .. knock 'em out at the desk .. and
it looks like the Apogee One would be easy to use in that situation.... so the mic is built right into it , yes? and therefore , I would not need to use the usb Samson C01U.... But when I would record a job where I need to be in the studio where my pro mic (Shure) is in the booth and the cable runs into my mixer (Beringer) ... would the Apogee One be in lieu of any other audio interface (i.e. M-Audio Fast Track)? Could the Apogee One plug into the the mixer and then usb from the Apogee to the computer so that the Shure is feeding into the mac? or would I need an additional interface in the studio?

That's what my set up has been ... everything plugged into the Beringer and then whenever I wanted to record into my computer from my booth, I would just plug the usb from the now obsolete m-audio interface into my mac.

So, can I use the Apogee One both ways ... quickie recordings at my desk
for mp3 auditions and also from my booth via my Shure ?

Sorry if these sound like lame questions but I am thinking if this is the case , this might be a solution.

Thanks
Cyndi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: