VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am a newbie, and I could use some advice, please. :-)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Voice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: I am a newbie, and I could use some advice, please. :-) Reply with quote

Greetings all - This is my first post to the VO-BB, so forgive me if I blow it on protocol, although I don't think I am. Smile

I am on the verge of signing up with a company called Voice Coaches (www.voicecoaches.com), based in Albany, NY, to do training and demo production. They seem to offer a nice package that blends personal training, online training and marketing webinars and tools, continuing support and in-studio demo production. I was hoping to locate some people who have gone through the program so I might get some feedback, before I sign up. Did they deliver as promised? Are they respected in the industry? Have you been able to get jobs? Did their program and advice contribute to your success? Stuff like that.

Please, please, please. ANY information/feedback would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get started in this field, because I really believe I can succeed in it. THANKS A MILLION!!!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly suspect your money could be better spent elsewhere.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical Philip understatement Smile

Search this forum on voicecoaches and you'll find several discussions.
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will take your money.

I prefer a good mentor, someone who will tell you right from wrong and is in the business working and gigging.

A solid demo is needed, and a solid business sense to go market yourself once it's done.

There is gold in this forum. You have to do some digging.

Oh, and everything that Philip says is spot on. No bull, no coddling, if you have innate talent you will find work. And you build from there. Don't expect overnight success, that takes years of work.

my .02

www.monksvoice.com
Zak Miller
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, one way to go about learning the biz would be to contact a studio that does commercial work in your area. Ask them if you could sit in on a few sessions. (I used to encourage this when new talent contacted the studio I ran) Go into the studio, take notes. I mean write everything down! From how the talent greets the director to how they sign off. Everything in between is gold.

I had a female talent shadow me for a few weeks. She was insane with note taking and it has paid off in spades.

Philip is right, there are a lot of people out there that want your money and promise success.
Mark is right about the mentor as well.

Good luck man, keep us posted on your progress!
CC Heim
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! I also was considering voicecoaches when first starting my VO journey. I decided to pursue more personalized instruction and am glad I did.
Zak Miller
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC is right. There are some great coaches out there that can help find your strengths.
tammymcd
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would recommend that you find some of the reading for the blind places in your area - here in AZ there's Sun Sounds Radio and E Talking Book Library - they (ETBL) are nation wide and do audio book recording for the Library of Congress. Also the Lion's Club often has studios that do that. I know that Sun Sounds and ETBL are very strict on who they take and it's good to have it on your resume and you'll learn a lot. I did volunteer work for them both for about two years and still do when I have time. Plus your time and travel are tax deductible. I also have an amazing coach out here - Bruce Miles - and I highly recommend having that. If you're lucky like I was - you end up with not just a great coach but a wonderful friend. Smile
Scott Voice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip, Zak, MCM, Monk, CC and Tammymcd:

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and provide insight. I guess I am back to square one. Yay!

Any of you hear of Kevin Delaney (www.voninja.com). Someone recommended him for training.

The thing that impressed me about Voice Coaches is that they offered a complete package, from training to demo to marketing/self-promotion, manuals and reference guides, ongoing support, Voice.com membership, etc. It just seemed like a good place to start - sort of like a turnkey franchise concept. Maybe that is not the best concept for the VO world. LOL.

Oh well..... like Yogi says, "When you see a fork in the road, take it."

Laugh
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a world of difference between what is offered and the genuine ability to deliver.

www.braintracksaudio.com is well worth a look but please bear in mind that the way to Voice Over success is a path one must walk alone. Should anyone tell you differently they either don't know or have an agenda.
Scott Voice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: braintracksaudio Reply with quote

Thanks Philip. I looked at her information. She certainly sounds very qualified and seems to come highly recommended by you and others. Of course, she is also a little pricey. So, I have to decide how to proceed. Meanwhile, as I fret over this, time marches on.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip is spot on. Don't hire a coach thinking they can coach you into success. Only you can do that.

I may be the exception, but aside from classic theater experience, I have never taken a single voice over class. Of course I may not be reaching my full potential, but I'm making a living.

As with everything, YMMV. Just don't use a coach as a crutch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: