VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Mic: Aw, it kinda sucks. Darn...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: USB Mic: Aw, it kinda sucks. Darn... Reply with quote

Somebody brought me a Logitek headphone/mic combo, apparently made for video games. It plugs into the computer in the USB, and then immediately, the computer recognizes two new Logitek sound cards, one in and one out.

He says it sells for under $50.

So I'm thinking, wow, wouldn't it be great if the mic sounded decent, because that would be the ultimate all-in-one portable production center.

So, I've been playing with it.

Headphones: Don't really sound that bad, but they're not what you'd call, um, good. Fairly comfortable, though.

Microphone: Really big bass rolloff. Also, even though it's directional, seemed to pick up more room noise (like noisy computer fans) than even my sensitive condensers. And the high end on the mic, not that great either.

So, sadly, still not ready for prime time.

Someday, though, I betcha, there'll be something like this that will be plenty good enough for auditions.

Then, someone will come up with one that's actually good enough for pro work.

If you'd like to hear what this mic sounds like, go to http://voices.cc/logitekheadsetvsneumannu87.mp3

If I can get my hands on a Snowball, I'll post a recording of that, too.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's Ug-g-g-g-ly... I stick with Neuman.

Frank F
Art

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank:

You're right... I recorded some extended material with the Logitek today, and it don't sound great.

However, we ran that audio through a 5kHz FM subcarrier channel, and I had my colleagues listen to it (on a little table radio). They all thought it sounded better than the Neumann!

This thing is apparently used for VOIP telephone service, as well as computer dictation. Turns out, when you hear it on a phone, it really sounds good. It's obviously optimized at upper midrange frequencies, which does help voice clarity, especially in lo-fi environments.

One big problem I had with it is that you can't get audio on the phones while you're recording. It would have to loop through the A to D and back through D to A, and gets waaaay to much latency. So it's silent while you're recording, which pretty much takes away any benefit of wearing headphones. Also, turns out it has a lot of "handling noise" just from head movement. Since you don't hear any motion or noise while you're recording, and can't monitor your input, you can't tell when you're making too much noise.

BUT, if someone came out with a unit just like this, self-contained USB connected and powered headphone/mic combo, only:

- The headphones sounded good

- The mic sounded good, and

- There was an analog bridge between the two, so you could hear yourself recording,

...it would be a wonderful thing for voice artists. I'd get one right away.

But this toy ain't it.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art wrote:

One big problem I had with it is that you can't get audio on the phones while you're recording. It would have to loop through the A to D and back through D to A, and gets waaaay to much latency.

Same problem I had with the Plantronics DSP 500. The unit sounds a little less clinical than the sample I heard, but it's still bad for any uncompressed format unless you're trying to record that sound (and do not happen to have have an EQ Preset and iZotopes Vinyl plug).

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: