VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slate article on VO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Slate article on VO Reply with quote

http://slate.msn.com/id/2115865/
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Article, Art! Thanks for posting the link.

We need to roll with the punches, guys.

Same as it ever was-- except there are more people with boxing gloves on these days.

Not just Strong Bad.
MichaelJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot, Deeb!

I can't even get to the article, because I'm hooked on the Strong Bad link!

Is he a friend of yours? :lol:
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather be able to do both deliveries than only one. I guess I'm trying to kindly say that it's more difficult for a person with a high voice to go low. Everything is cyclical.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. The article is on-point. As a man with a very deep voice (deeper than most men, even), I entered this biz about 2 years ago. First thing, my agent asked for a headshot. And, most of the work I get that pays well is doing on-camera work. Now, that's not what I had in mind, at all.

In fact, I was very resistant to acting on-camera. It's just not the sort of person I am, I thought. But, I have taken acting classes, scene work, improvisation, etc.

For VO, I've done tons (and I mean tons) of auditions. No go. Then, it dawned on me: voice-out! I had that flash about a month ago.

The good news is the pendulum swings.

What to do? Enjoy the ride. Get exercise. Live off savings. Continue to hone skills and explore talent. Party, too. Also, I spend a lot of time with music. We had a great jam session at my crib last night. Lots of wine.

The message is: relax! This ain't serious at all.

Well, I'm off to a gig in S.F. Should be fun. No need to worry about studying the script, analyzing how it should be read, etc. Just be myself, with attitude -- love me or leave me alone. :lol:

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Celebrity VO Reply with quote

The celebrity VO thing never really bothered me until I saw Robots. I mean, I'd see any animated film that had Robin Williams in it and he never disappoints, but I was thinking that with all the other stars in Robots, it would have to be really something. I enjoyed the movie very much, but it was more for the animation itself and the great message about the throw-away society than the quality of the other actors' performances. They were all good but not memorable. Would substituting a variety of John & Jane Does for Halle Berry, Ewan McGregor, Paula Abdul, Jennifer Coolidge or even Mel Brooks have significantly changed the quality of the movie?

The Incredibles was different. Those actors really brought something unique to the film, I thought.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, robots should have had non-celebs. I kept hearing the voices and seeing their faces. It's the first time I've really not enjoyed a good animation movie because I knew who the voices were.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: The Incredibles Reply with quote

Terri Gross is doing a piece on the Incredibles today 6 April on Fresh Air on NPR, 7 pm EDT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: