VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UPS/noise filter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: UPS/noise filter Reply with quote

I'm thinking about adding an Uninterruptable Power Supply and/or electrical noise filter to my recording empire. Anybody have suggestions about this sort of thing?

Rejoicing in advance for any help...

Mary
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great idea. I just went to our Tiger Direct superstore and bought two APC units on discount. Still pricey though. 80 bucks a piece.
nick reed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Isolation Transformer Reply with quote

For electrical noise isolation, this may work...

JK Audio Pureformer $59

http://www.jkaudio.com/pureformer.htm

Nick
billelder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! So that's what's inside! <g>

When I first started putting together my DAW (about 1996) I had a radio engineer tell me to go to Radio Shack and get four "somethings". LOL I've long since forgotten but I still have them in the line and they work great. I looked at the schematic of the JK Audio and it seems to use 600 ohms, 250 mV transformers. I do remember the parts cost about $5.

The other thing he told me is to have all of your equipment on the same leg of your breaker box. (Leg being left side or right side.) This will take away the hum that you get when connecting audio between components. My local television cable company had a floating ground that was introducing hum. I started unplugging equipment one piece at a time and it came down to the RF cable. The company said it wasn't their problem so I got DirecTv. LOL That solved that.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had an APC UPS for a while. I love the danged thing except that it beeps when it's in action.

I got it initially for my audio/video editing rig, but now that I have the Powerbook, I don't need to worry about a power failure where my computer is concerned. So-- I have my Mixer, Symetrix and ISDN plugged into it. (I have only 3 outlets on the batery side of the UPS).
Power outages don't knock me off the air now.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: I use a Tripplite power filer / surge protector Reply with quote

I use a Tripplite power filer / surge protector for the power to my audio equipment. I have a Tripplite UPS for the computer and its peripherals so there is back up battery power. I got the UPS on a great sale at our local Fry's Electronics store. San Diego's chief engineer for Clear Channel suggested it. I got it inexpensively on eBay. It has isolation filters between each out let as well as power conditioning for the line voltage to get rid of "line noise".

It pays to watch the ads and eBay.

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: