VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adobe Audition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Adobe Audition Reply with quote

I'll tell you all something. After playing with just Audition 1.0 (I found a free downloadable trial verson that I still have 29 days to play with), I just don't want to have to go back to Audacity. Audition just plain rocks. It even made my hair grow back!*

Chris

*Portions of this post may have been fabricated.

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: audio editors Reply with quote

I've not played with Audition much...I still use Cool Edit pro, the older version of what is now known as Audition. I only use it when I need the multi-track function...othewise, I use Sound Forge Audio Studio 8. But there is many a VO-BB'er that use Audition and swear by it! What does it run now? $300.00?
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm writing a field report for Audition 2.0. Any experiences you would like to share?
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Adobe Audition Reply with quote

Christopher French wrote:
I'll tell you all something. After playing with just Audition 1.0 (I found a free downloadable trial verson that I still have 29 days to play with), I just don't want to have to go back to Audacity. Audition just plain rocks. It even made my hair grow back!*

Chris

*Portions of this post may have been fabricated.

Yes, that's the idea. But, be veerrrwwwee veeerrrwwweee careful. That's how it starts. One little piece of software here, another little piece of hardware there, and then ...

You know, it's the Super Fly thang. Give 'em the first hit free. Soon as they take the first bite, they're hooked. You'll end up like some of us!

Hobo Laughing
donrandall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not take advantage of the free trial period available with Goldwave? You can find it here: www.goldwave.com

It is an easy to learn, very intuitive downloadable program - it is fully enabled for the free trial period. If you like one better than the other, then go with that one - but why lock into something without taking a look at the competition?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comments on AA 2.0: Change the color schme back to what it was, Allow 16 bit mixing in the multi-track, allow input monitoring (not just input metering, but audio monitoring).

There are some pluses for AA 2.0, I just cannot think of any at the moment.

Frank F
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
Comments on AA 2.0: Change the color schme back to what it was

I've heard others say that. Perhaps they should have included it as a preset scheme, but it's not hard to go change it yourself.

Quote:
Allow 16 bit mixing in the multi-track

Why?

Quote:
There are some pluses for AA 2.0, I just cannot think of any at the moment.

Oh, how about the fact they finally incorportated ASIO. It's faster now as it doesn't use those annoying temp files and writes direct to disk instead. I'm sure I could think of many more, but I haven't had my coffee yet.

There are some things I'm iffy about. It's taking me a while to get used to it. It's not an upgrade from 1.5, but a complete rewrite. So lots of features have been moved, some have been removed, and some have been added. I wish there was an easy way to get all of my presets moved from 1.5 to 2.0 but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's a minor annoyance. It takes a heck of a lot longer to start up which annoys me a bit. And it's not for the faint of heart..err machine. Check out the system requirements.

I don't know if I like it yet or not. Haven't had it long enough to get used to it.
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I belong to the Adobe Forum and you must register to belong, I'll copy and paste some suggestions from their forum concerning moving presets in the upgrade:

Quote:
Ozpeter - 4:16pm Jan 20, 06 PST (#2 of 4)

Then create a session in AA1.x with a bit of blank or scrap audio on each track, and put your effects on the tracks with presets. Save that, open it in AA2.0, save the presets under names there. A sketchy description but I think you'll get the point.

Believe it or not... that's ALL I could find.

Glad to know this... I won't be making the upgrade any time soon.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you can log in as a guest to the Adobe Forums. That's what I do since I forgot my password and which email account I used to register long ago.

Audition guys and gals, I find www.audiomastersforum.org to be of much more help.

Here's a thread devoted to moving presets:

Importing Presets - Not Quite Straightforward
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Well, there ya go then!

Thanks for sharing that link.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing multrack mixing to 16 bit - why?

Because I have some VST (and other Dx) plug's which require 16 or 24 bit to operate - the 32 bit (float) does not operate with 24 bit plug-ins, contrary to the hype. And of course, AA does not work natively in 24 bit, therefore a 16 bit mode would operate the VST plug-ins quite nicely.

Rewire is a bit fussy, been using it for years...

Been fussing with color scheme changes, not impressed.

ASIO is nice, VST native plug's are nice, moved items - not nice. Ability to monitor I/O's nice, but could be easier to get to...

Frank F
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. Now I understand.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here to tell you I know only what I need to know about Adobe Audition (1.0) to get the job done. Gulp. But why do I sometimes--not always--have a .pk file in addition to my saved mp3 or wav? I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Quote:
I'm writing a field report for Audition 2.0. Any experiences you would like to share?

JR-did you finish this and have you shared yet??

Thanks.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is finished, however, I cannot share it until it is published in June for Radio Magazine. I'll post it at http://www.techfortoday.com in the broadcast section.

You will notice that, by default, Audition leaves files with names ending in .pk all over your disk, one alongside every audio file that you save.
These contains a pre-generated graphic display of the waveform, to save time when Audition loads the file again.

They are not necessary and I recommend that you tell Audition not to generate them.

In older versions that setting is under Options, Settings, Display; uncheck "Save Peak Cache Files."

Justin
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump...

Just spoke briefly with Justin Kaiser, who you may recall wrote an article on the new 2.0 version of Adobe Audition. I queried him about v 1.0 and he's going to try to find the answer. Naturally, I'll query you, too.
Is it possible to go into a .wav file created in v 1.0 and see/determine what effects were added? I'm listening to a spot I produced this a.m. but cannot remember if I added my usual sweetening
cmp 2 : 1 above -20 dB
flat 1 : 1 below -20 dB
Compensation Gain = 6dB
and then some amplitude reduction...

I'd loathe doubling my sweets!

Edited this morning with the answer, thanks to Justin (thanks Justin!): Nope, can't be done.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: