VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

more tweaking....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: more tweaking.... Reply with quote

For those still interested....

After tweaking the home studio a la your suggestions, here's a new offering....about :35

Tourette's

comments encouraged.....gratefully

Dave C.
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good clean audio. Your PC can be heard working away in the backgorund but that's not a difficult problem to solve. Render it silent. I tried using the noise gate on it but the background sound couldn't be dealt with in that manner.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, much better. Like Banksey said about the computer.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds much mo better! I even went back to your original recording... like night and day. It would be at this point that I would tell myself, "Don't touch anything."... just put a muffler on the computer.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUCH better! Wow..what a difference. Can hear the 'puter in the background, but that can be dealt with. Nice and clean Smile
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice and clean. Listening in a regular room (not in my home-studio), with inexpensive speakers attached to a computer, my inexpensive speakers are coloring the sound more than anything happening on your end.

I can't even detect your computer in the background, due to the noise my machine is making and my own roomtone.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
COURVO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, everyone....

Amazing! Trial 'n' error, fiddling with variables, and persistence -- all pays.

Being a perfectionist, I suppose I'll never stop tweaking.

Most of you mentioned better stifling the computer noise. When recording, I wrap it in a thick comforter....but obviously you all still noticed it. How do YOU muffle that sound?

Dave C.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it in another room. Other than that:

How far away from your mic is it? Can you move it any farther at all? Even a foot can make a big difference sometimes. Or try moving it in relation to the axis of the mic.

If you're dying to spend some money you could buy quieter fans and hard drives. Mine are very quiet.

Also, I put my DAW in a rack so that helps stiffle the noise too.
Doc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the very same thing. About a year ago, I replaced the power supply, the cooler and its fan and the 2 exhaust fans that I run with "quiet" components. These fans, after all, are the ONLY moving parts in the computer... which causes vibration, vis-a-vis noise. I lost nearly 10db by making these replacements and I did it all for about $85.

Presently, my computer mainframe sits about 22 inches from my production radius and NOBODY has complained (yet) about computer noise.

P. S. I also found a free piece of software that allows you to monitor the fan temperature of your computer's interior, which I would certainly look into if I was covering my box with a blanket (et.al.)... and, I purchased my cooler/fan as a combination which comes with a rheostadt to control fan speed - but, with this you MUST be extra careful. Fry your processor and you may as well invest in a new computer.
COURVO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: 2 Questions: 1 dumb, 1 easy Reply with quote

Doc and/or Hart,

Dumb question first: ('cause I'm a noob) DAW = (expand acronym please)

Easy question second: Doc, can you share brand or product names of "quieter" components? I was at Best Buy looking for this very thing, and only found fans with neon lights for all the hip-hoppers.

Moving computer outside the room may be the ultimate answer, but in the short term, I going to try the other alternatives....like better insulation and more silent components. The unit is about 3.5 feet from my mic.

Grats for the ideas.

Dave C.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAW = Digital Audio Workstation (i.e.: computer with recording software and associated inouts and outputs).

The 'puter noise I hear on my system is internal (i.e.: electrical noise). Maybe I am just picky, but it sounded pretty darn good to these 'ol ears...

Frank F

Last edited by Frank F on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I agree with Frank... but, then again, it's difficult not to agree with him... he knows his stuff.

I see you already received your acronym expansion. Wink

Actually, you're not going to find these components at a Best Buy or a Comp USA.

Without looking up my invoice, I believe I purchased my components at www.newegg.com. But, I'm a bit (shall we say) frugal! I watch for deals on computer hardware constantly.

Hang on a sec...

Okay - I actually looked up my invoice and I did, indeed, purchase all my components for this upgrade from newegg. I bought a Seasonic Supersilencer power supply, a Zalman cooler (comes with fan and rheostadt), 2 case fans (silent) and an Antec Noisekiller kit, which consists of silicon gaskets that are pre-fitted for your power supply, and case fans.

Now - here's the kicker! I'm a shopper... and for whatever reason, I ALWAYS do much better calling and speaking to a Customer Service Representative. Why? Because, once I have spent 10 minutes on the phone with them having them look up items and prices for me (even though I already know what it is I'm looking for), I'm able to actually get them to give me a discount. That's right! Once they've invested their time to provide me with the information I seek, they don't want to lose the deal. I'm usually able to get anywhere from 10-25% off their listed price. Try it some time. It really works.

Now, you can spend a little or spend a lot. My cost was approximately $85.00 for this list of items. By the way, I got 15% off their list price and got free shipping too! Wink OR... you can spend a couple thousand on a totally silent case, complete with acoustic treatment and all the noiseless moving parts you can think of (there aren't that many). Yes, they DO make 'em - especially for peeps like us.

Again, though... I'm not sure you really need to do this. Your track sounded pretty clean to me. Your call!
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Doc.

While it wouldn't kill you to get your computer quieter... I think we are now picking the fly sh@t out of the pepper as your recordings sound 110% better now.
COURVO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc...thanks for all the help...I like NewEgg too, but I like your suggestion for "massaging" the transaction even better...

For Hart and all those with timely responses: free tickets to the buffet of your choice on the strip, the next time you come to 'Vegas. ;-}

Dave C.
donrandall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - if you have a PC Club in the area, they generally stock components that will allow you to cool your pc and keep the noise down. If you don't have a PC Club retail store available, you can also find 'em online and have it delivered. Their prices are decent, and their service has always impressed me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: