VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Revolutionizing Sessions On-The-Road

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Revolutionizing Sessions On-The-Road Reply with quote

Yes, it's expensive... but, if the product lives up to its specs, wouldn't this be a convenient piece of gear for on the road recording?

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=PCMD1
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just couldn't resist.

brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for real??? I'd be very interested to hear how it sounds!

Technology never ceases to amaze me!
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

If you wanna pony up the $1900, I'll be glad to ascertain one and test it out for you. Wink
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh

Yeah, just have em ship it to my house first, then I'll pass it to doc, and then you can have it. It's interesting looking, but my first thought was "How can it possibly sound any better than this?"

Okay, that's enough work for the day, I'm going home to kiss my wife.
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMFAO
billelder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart,

I've worked at radio stations where that unit would have been considered a "production room" ! <g>
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take 2! I love the ears on the Sony.

All seriousness, aside. But, the Edirol R1 was my first wish. And, Edirol's coming out with a new less than $400 model that might prove interesting, too, theEdiro R-9.
marko

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reviews of the Edirol R1 posted on the link you listed were not too flattering.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too cute! The Edirol isn't as nice looking though and I keep seeing "faces" in the other two devices... Bitchin Must be my imagination.

There are a couple of real problems with all of them - there is no editing capability, and I really like multi-track devices. Shocked Oh Well, what do I know? Inoccent

Frank F
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayum...I know Phil was being facetious when he made the remark about a motorcycle helmet with an Ipod, but with this little gem...

Something between a helmet and Hart's sound box, with one of these babies built in? Crikey, the Road Warrior kit could be mighty lightweight and packable...

PJ
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just to whet your appetite, here are a couple of palm-top digital which are multi-track, editing, and effects capable... now all they need to do is connect to the internet and create a miniture "kitchen sink".

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PS04

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MRS4Blk/ (and this one comes in colors too...LOL)

The drawback is the recording time... a supplied 32 MB Smart Media Card gives you about 17 mono track minutes in 48 kHz Hi-Quality mode, and 34 track minutes on Lo-Quality (Long) mode.

Have fun with the new toys.

Frank F
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, do we think that because this cool, new and small unit is a SONY that it has some sort of copy protection so we have to call the RIAA before we send a voiceover to someone? <g>

My Emergency/Portable/On The Road system is a Dell Latitude PIII 1Ghtz laptop from Overstocked.com ($400) a Behringer mixer ($49 Musicians Friend) a USB Audio interface ($20 E-Bay) and the Behringer 8500 Mic ($20). So, for under $500 I have portability and my own editing software. Oh, I guess you can add $10 for a mouse because I don't like to edit with a touchpad. <g> Keep in mind that I've never flown with this setup.

I could have gotten a TASCAM US-122 that has the USB interface and mixer all rolled into one. It is interesting to see how the prices have lowered on Fostex and Tascam recorders. But, then there's the uploading to FTP for client pickup. I'm in the same camp as Deirdre who has said (paraphrasing) that these portable setups are great for emergency work like a quick liner or tag. Maybe even a :30 here or there. But the home studio is always the preferred choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: