VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who can I TRUST to train me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane Havens wrote:
Bought us lunch, too.

Any coach who buys the beer and pies is fine by me.

What's the difference between most VO coaches and a coconut? You stand a good chance of being able to get a drink out of a coconut!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip,

Well put as always and Nancy Wolfson isn't for everyone. However, she has paid when we've been out to dinner. More than once, in point of fact.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been coached by Nancy, to be fair I've never been coached by anyone, but she should come with a mental health warning for the fragile souls out there. She is far from an unpleasant person and those who are coached by her need to leave their egos and easily damaged self worth outside of the booth.

"Nancy, I know you're about to start digging but you're only allowed to find and comment on the things I LIKE" you say. If it's phone coaching the next sound you hear is likely to be a dial tone.

There are coaches around who will let you play then smile and take your money. If that's what you seek, lovely. If you are seeking a long-term career as a Voice Overist, fluffy is no use to you at all.
Diane Havens
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't care for Nancy's style, but I am sure her blunt, caustic manner works for some. And that style is her signature, in fact -- her brand as a coach. There is no one good teacher for everyone -- the coach that can inspire as well as critique, the coach that can improve the actor's self-direction, self-analysis -- like a good psychologist would for a patient -- is the one to seek out.

I myself have had little coaching. I was a stage actor in my youth, and have a master's degree in Theatre, but VO is quite a different world. I only take a class if I am having trouble dealing with something specific. One should have an objective in mind -- ask what would I like to gain/improve upon after this class? That I have well learned from my many years as a public school teacher.

My most recent class was with Marc Cashman and that is why I am recommending him here. He gave me insights into the audio book side of the industry, and it has helped me in measurable ways. Since then, I have more work in audio books -- which was my goal.

Veni, Vidi, Voci
http://www.dianehavens.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane makes a very valid point in suggesting that VO's need to buy what they feel they want or need as opposed to what the bulk of coaches are selling "Invented VO solutions for non-existent problems".

The benefit for the coach is easy to calculate, it's the fee. The benefit derived by the student should be as easy to define.
Fuzman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane and Phil, I agree with you but as for someone starting out I don't quite know what I need yet so it's a bit overwhelming to sift through the various teachers and classes offered. Everyone seems to offer the "Introductory Evaluation Analysis Don't Worry If You're Terrible We Will Tell You So You Don't Waste Your Money On More Classes Class," but after that...

Cartoon voice courses, marketing courses, equipment courses, commercial voice courses, audio book classes, etc. etc,... Sheesh, I had a longer list but I figure you guys know all this already.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is I don't wanna jump into super crazy VO lady's workshop when she's going to tear me apart when I am just starting. If you took 1 acting class, you wouldn't expect Martin Scorsese to suddenly start directing you and not mind working on the basics of acting and all the foundational knowledge you should have. Right? Right.

And I didn't know people accepted pickled eggs as payment, because I know a guy...and that would make this much easier to pay for.

-Ramon
Steve Knight
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many folks out there, I've heard a LOT of things about Nancy, and have thought about scheduling a session with her, but don't want to spend $165 to be demoralized..I also agree with Phillip that there's a few charlatans out there..

I'm an old radio guy who has'nt quite gotten rid of the "announcer" that lives within me..any reccomendations?
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Don't expect to be demoralized. Nancy is tough but she is most certainly NOT mean. She won't coddle you but rather will tell you in plain English what your strengths are and what you need to work on. And then, in a very pragmatic way, she'll lead you through her coursework.

I started working with her for the same reason as you: leftover "radio" in my read. Hell, I still fight that but I gotta tell you, she pushed me WAY forward and in a fairly quick amount of time.

Bob
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you go into a session with Nancy expecting to hear nothing but "attaboys" you stand a huge chance of being disappointed. Frankly though, her style is closer to tough love than anything else.

I love working with the lady.
ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for everything Chuck just said. Best career investment I've made to date.
Steve Knight
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy is pretty booked up at the moment, can't get a session til' mid May but at $165 her rates seem more reasonable than others charging more (For $200 an hr, I think you should be helping me with deep-seated emotional issues)...

I'm still kinda shopping around, I've also heard some good things about Deb Munro..can anyone give me any feedback?
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether you like her teaching style or not - Nancy is one of the funniest people you'll ever meet. She's also smart and very generous.
Steve Knight
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just booked my first session with her in May..wish me luck
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melissa wrote:
Whether you like her teaching style or not - Nancy is one of the funniest people you'll ever meet. She's also smart and very generous.

Totally agree.
For me, from a business perspective, Nancy has been one of the best investments I have ever made in my career.
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: