VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who can I TRUST to train me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cathryn Leasure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Caryn,

I would love to be added to Randy's distribution list please. My email address is cathrynleasurevo@gmail.com.

I live in Melbourne, south of Cape Canaveral. I don't think the itty bitty backwoods of Sebring can be any more itty bitty backwoods than Melbourne! It's a pretty small place!
Cathryn Leasure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liz,

I'm so glad I asked my questions. I hope the brilliant answers posted will help lots of other newbies as well.

I'm definitely not dismissing phone prompt and corporate stuff. That's pretty much all I've been doing so far (and I haven't done a lot) and yet doing that kind of work brought me to the decision of wanting to do much more vo work. So don't worry, I'll be sticking with it. I just think that commercials seem a little more glamorous (obviously I suppose). Saying that though, commercials are out of my comfort zone at the moment, so even though it would be fun to do commercials, I don't want to do them just yet. I know I have A LOT of training to do first, hence my post in the first place.

I'll check out Elaine Clark and Harlan Hogan books. Thank you for the advice. I have come across Harlan Hogan on a few podcasts. Is 'Tales and Techniques of a Voice Over Actor' one of your recommendations by Harlan Hogan? I also found 'There's Money Where Your Mouth Is' by Elaine Clark. If you have more recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Glad to know I'm on the right track. Now I just have to get practicing!

Cathryn
Cathryn Leasure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I appreciate your advice.

Cathryn

RD Levine wrote:
Take Bob's workshop it's well worth even if there's no deli from Katz's (inside joke). Bob teaches about the business of the business and what he teaches about characters, works with all types of voice work. You get to have Bob work with you in right in the booth helping you bring out the best in you. He helps you find the way to making choices not guesses in the copy. If you learn one thing it's worth the cost of a ticket but you will learn more than one thing.
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cathryn!
Yep!
Those are the books I was thinking about!...oh and about "comfort zones"...read Bob Souer's recent blog post...it was a velevet 2x4 to my head yesterday! Wink

Peace!
Fuzman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. I am new here and to the world of VO-ing. Similar to the question posed at the start of this thread it is difficult to find someone that doesn't seem like just a rip off to train you. I'm in the NY area and looking online there's just a ton of stuff.

My question is do you think for someone starting out, it is better to find a place that is 1 on 1 training or are small groups better? Does it matter, or is it really just a personal preference thing, how you work better?

And what is a reasonable price for trainers to charge? I've seen classes ranging from $27 a class to full "programs" that run up in the $3,000's. I don't mind paying, I just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.

And thanks for the book ideas. My girlfriend works at Barnes and Noble so Harlan Hogan and Elaine Clark will be coming my way soon. Their words anyway. Thanks for any help on this.

-Ramon
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ramon!
Welcome!

It really is a personal decision.
That said, I would start off with a group class...they are generally less expensive and will give you a good idea as to whether you really want to pursue this work or not. From there, personal training is always a good thing!

There are also great sources if information you may want to delve into...besides here....like bob Souer's blog which is not only required reading in my book, but he also has a list of just about every other VO blog on the planet!!
http://bobsouer.com/blog/

Dig & have fun!
DaveChristi
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite sure Bob would recommend Nancy Wolfson of BraintracksAudio.com.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

How right you are!
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Fuzman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh, if only I lived in LA. Nancy does seem to be at the top of her game though. I may be going out to California in a few months for job training with my current job. If I do I'll try to schedule a VO lesson or two with her.

For now, I begin my career with Edge Studio in good ol' NYC. I am very excited. Thanks for everyone's help so far.
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an FYI:
Nancy trains people over the phone all the time.
No need to actually be in LA.

Just so you know! Smile
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, all of my training with Nancy (except for a couple of group sessions at the last 2 Dan O'Day Summits) have been on the phone. It's a GREAT way to learn from her.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been training with Nancy over the phone for a while now and can wholeheartedly second (or third) the recommendations. She's excellent!

And my training has been strictly by phone; I've never met her.
Diane Havens
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend Marc Cashman if you're in L.A. He's fabulous.

Veni, Vidi, Voci
http://www.dianehavens.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I can highly recommend/endorse/2nd the ....Marc, Nancy, Bob, Dave, Jim-Bob, Nancy-Lee- Dave-Bobson the 3rd, the Portgordon Brownie Pack"

Go on then recommend them, commend, endorse, speak highly of, sing the praises of, exalt upon high.

My point? SAY WHY - BE SPECIFIC, so few people do it and we should do it more often.

Nancy Wolfson. Last week, Thursday to be zigzagged, yer woman asked me to audition for a TV commercial. She didn't really want me to get the job, she merely knows that audition requests make me swear. Any way, I sent some audio and rather than submit to the agency - April May June Puglia Clochan Prostate and Partners she wrote back and coached. She didn't want to coach me, she just knows that coaching makes me swear ...a lot. Between jobs I sent pieces of audio for th'audition and she directed and coached s'more. Imagine my original read was West, herself's guidance took me North, East and finally south ending up outside the Gordon Arms in Fochabers. She got the read she wanted and I had a pint of 80 Shilling ..oh and a pickled egg.

So, for a pint of 80 shilling and a pickled egg, Nancy Wolfson's the coach for you.
Diane Havens
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.

Marc is a great diagnostician -- pinpoints your strengths and weaknesses -- gives practical, easy to follow direction on how to improve, takes his time with you, and gives you free advice long after your coaching sessions end -- in perpetuity, so he says. And I believe him, though perpetuity has not yet arrived. I also understand him, as he speaks like an actor/director. I have a stage background, so I get that. He also regularly passes along leads. And ... as a bonus, is a genuinely nice guy, with a great sense of humor.

Bought us lunch, too.

Veni, Vidi, Voci
http://www.dianehavens.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: