VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need To Park An Audio File?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donrandall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Need To Park An Audio File? Reply with quote

I know there are a few of us who have no place to park audio files and have to persuade someone else to help out. Is that what's bothering you, Bunkie? Well cheer up, turn that frown upside down and smile, smile, smile - tomorrow will be a brighter day in your world!

I have recently discovered one that looks pretty good:

http://www.putfile.com/
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: You can also have a lot of fun making file transfers available at home. Well, you can actually waste quite a bit of time and learn how to set up your own web server and/or "ftp" (File Transfer Protocol) server.

If you're running Windows 2000, XP or OS X. you've got a webserver on your machine. I also think you may have a webserver on Windows 98 operating system. That's where I learned how to do this.

XP use Internet Server 5 and the Apple uses an Apache server (an ipso facto standard on the Internet). So, if your DAW (or another machine in your closet) is attached to Internet, you can start your server, copy files to a home directory, hack a little html (if you want) and let you client know where to come and get it.

There is also the FTP server option. FTP is legacy technology, but it's still in use. XP has a FTP server built in to the operating system. I'm not sure about OS X. On XP, I use Filezilla as my FTP server. It's free. And, I belive it also works on Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows 2000

I'd recommend using a second machine for this function rather than your DAW, or turning the servers off while recording/editing. My experience is that I run a webserver server on a separate machine; however, I've had no problems running Audacity on that server, too. You could even use a laptop and a router to pull the server thing off and put it to use while you're at home.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME if you are easily frustrated with computing. There are a few links in the chain that can become crinks. You can work them out. On the other hand, it "free" and it is do-able with a little effort, even if setting up a web or ftp server can be a great time waster, totally unnecessary if you've already got something that works, a lot of fun and a solution to "Where can I put that humongous file?"

The icing on the cake is getting your own domain name, free. I use http://thevoice.gotdns.com, which was obtained from http://www.dyndns.com. There are other "free" domain name server ("DNS") on the web. The reason we use a DNS service is you can give your clients a name and you don't have to give your clients the IP address (nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn) [n = a number between 0 - 9]. Dynamic DNS allows 5 for free. You install a small application on your machine that synchronizes your IP address with the DNS, even if your ISP changes your IP address everytime you fire up your machine. Oh, and DNS also works with File Transfer Protocol.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Charlie, doesn't that open your computer to many other problems? Should you not have a viable firewall in place before attempting to do something like this?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie is spoiled because his server is a Mac.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer wrote:
But Charlie, doesn't that open your computer to many other problems? Should you not have a viable firewall in place before attempting to do something like this?

For sure. As I mentioned, there are many links in the chain. For me, the first link is the cable modem. The cable modem feeds a router (the second link) that contains a firewall. The fact that the firewall is in the router frees all computers from that task of needing a software based firewall that works with the operating system.

If you have more than one computer and an ISP, you can connect all the machines to the Internet using a router. That also enables each machine to talk to each other on your LAN.

(Now you know why I'm a member of Gear Annonymous)

The router has one port that is "open" to Internet. It is on that port (physical connection for a Cat-5 cable) that I run my server. The machine is a throw-away. And, sometimes that machine is my laptop (that's doing nothing else). You know, you can run an old machine as a server. You're not going to be handling traffic like Amazon or Yahoo or Google. In any event, I'm also running Norton anti-virus on the machine. Furthermore, I've installed all security patches. Last, but not the least, the SharePoint application that comes with FrontPage also contains a security module that lets a user tighten up everything, automatically. It runs on schedule for automatic updates. I'm using Windows 2000 for the in-house machine. Old stuff.

On that subject, we were discussing Source Connect in another thread. That application runs on the DAW that's connected to Internet. When working behind a router, you must open up firewall "ports" for the application to tunnel through a firewall. The same applies to AudioTX, if you're running behind a firewall.

In addition, if you do a "ftp" from your DAW, you're uploading (or downloading) and you're at risk. I do not run a web server on my DAW. But, I will ftp to a client's site from my DAW.

Like I said, it's something to do if you're inclined, have the time, don't have the money and need a solution. I found having a server in-house wasn't that hard to do and really helped out when sending WAV files, because they're so much larger than MP3's. I did chew up a few hours of time working it out.

By the way, to see if you have a server installed and working, just type "localhost" in your browser and see what happens. If a server is installed and running, you'll get an intro page for your machine. Otherwise, you'll get some external search engine website or an error message.

If you decide to do an in-house server read the doc's and have fun. Actually, it seems to me that clients ought to have this sort of resource available for talents to use. Some do, but the last three I've worked for did not. The old, send me an E-mail attachment just didn't work.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. You folks are getting pretty wild, between Dan being Danny.

So, while I'm sitting here finishing up writing my comments about drooling over doing an audio book narration, I get an E-mail, and it says, "need to record narration today." No audition. So, instead of E-mail reply, I call. Session booked with a new client. 10:30 PST a call time.

Saved Pro Tools session of 38 minutes. Good director. WAV format 48,000 by 16 bits. 215,000,000 megs. Import into my in-house server. 38 minute session, done!

My point is that I'd have still been futzing around splitting the file, with uploads, with bandwidth issues and exceeding disk allocation -- since I ain't payin' for disk space (not exactly true but I'd exceed the allocation, pronto) if I'd not had a box inside by which to make content available to the client.

Hey!!! It's past 11:30 a.m. I'm close enough to lunch and I only drink in the afternoon. And, I always round up.

Tequila time, baby! And, it's only Monday!!! Yahooooooooo!

C
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does tequila have a cork?
BBeen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interest of testing this system for parking audio files that was mentioned at the beginning of the post, I went ahead and registered. The interface was extremely easy to use and the only thing left to test is if the audio file i put there is still there. so in the interest of "science", let me know if you can access and hear this audio file. If so it was a success and I will continue to use it.

http://media.putfile.com/Laugh7818
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard it loud and clear. But I guess this site is just for viewing or listening, not for downloading. And there are lots of ads.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bud - I can see it and hear it, but how would I download it if I was a client? Can't see for looking Smile
BBeen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back to the site to check out the FAQ's. the question has been asked "Can I download files" the answer: Not at this time

Perhaps that means that it's a feature being developed, or maybe not. For me it's ok as is for now. It allows me to finally participate in some of the "audio contests" that go on here on the vo-bb. The system is ez for me to use. One day I'll look into FTP, but it has to be ez.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBeen wrote:
I went back to the site to check out the FAQ's. the question has been asked "Can I download files" the answer: Not at this time
... One day I'll look into FTP, but it has to be ez.

If you can upload to a machine, you can use your machine as a server so your clients can download files from you. Better yet, just install and fire up a web server on your machine. Turn it off when you don't need it. There are some "light weight" easy to use servers available as either freeware or shareware.

I use Filezilla for my ftp server. It's easy and fast.

You can always visit the http://apache.org website to download one of their web servers. Prepare to be a little techie. Moderate competency required. But, there are others out there, too.

A couple look fairly interesting on twocows.com:
http://www.tucows.com/preview/300289
FastStream is highly rated:
http://www.tucows.com/preview/296978

I've done Apache before and a couple of shareware products. It's best to install only one at a time.

If you're running Windows XP, 2000 or even 98, you can invoke the ftp and IIS (Internet Information Server) by going to the Control Panel, selecting "Add or Remove Programs" then "Add or Remove Windows Compnents". You can add FTP or IIS from there. Use Windows "Help" for info.

Have fun!

CC
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be the only person using GEOCITIES.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey wrote:
I must be the only person using GEOCITIES.

Nope. http://www.geocities.com/charliechannel From a couple of years ago.

I'd forgotten about that one. It's free, right. I gotta do something about that site. I don't know if I get traffic there.

C
donrandall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Charlie is spoiled because his server is a Mac.

It could also be that Charlie is spoiled because he is a smart guy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: