VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cover Letters?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife (wonder why THAT word omitted?) told me just yesterday that we have the capability of printing buisness cards out with this ol' machine. I was thinking about buying something like 500 to start out with. She told me that I could use her clip art and make up my own. I think I'm going to do just that.

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump

Last edited by Christopher French on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm, am I the only one that checked out the link D posted? Wink

I'm wondering why waste my ink and put up with the hassle when they'll do it so cheap?
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:

man, you know what? i didn't even know it was a link Shocked
this theme doesn't underline the links for some reason.

So going forward, if anyone will be posting a link, make sure you use the "" tags - or else Ninja

Thanks for posting that.

-Anthony
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:

I'm wondering why waste my ink and put up with the hassle when they'll do it so cheap?

I checked it out. I think it is well worth the price... without the hassle of home brewing. Even though we can do almost anything on this computer, sometimes it's worth it in the long run to out-source. I'm using an old Epson ink jet printer. The cartridges are out of $ite. I tried refilling them for about 18 months. It worked for awhile... but then things got messy.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Links don't show up as underlined in this theme, but they are bold and show a yellow highlight when you mouse over them if they're hyperlinked using the URL bb-tags. If you mouse over a regular link, like the one in Bailey's post, the underline shows up.

I may try to tinker with that-- at least get all links to underline.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be cool, deidre
it's probably in the css
Bettye Zoller

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When submitting your demo to prospective employers, you don't always have to mail it and pay postage plus costs of mail envelope and time to do it etc. Better: Just attach a short edit MP3 to emails and try to email some producers you know or who you find on lists such as in a Producer's Association online list in your city or a Women in Film list etc. Email is great. But don't be a pest. Don't email the same person more than maybe once every four to six months unless they invite you, for whatever reason, to do so more often.
donrandall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bettye - I would recommend against attaching audio to an email when soliciting business - unless it has been specifically requested as an attachment and is expected.

I offer this based on personal experience. When I decided to get back in this business a few years back - after many years doing other things, like actually earning some real money - I made the mistake of attaching audio.

You'd be surprised how many get rather testy about having their email jammed up by that attached audio. Some of them say nothing, but others are nice enough to make their views known, in rather inspiratinal and colorful ways!

Instead, one can park the audio on their website and include a link - and for those who have no website, many internet service providers offer small, simple websites free of charge or at low cost where audio can be parked even if you don't want to publish a website graphic.

It is also possible to park the audio on an FTP site (free of charge!) and include a link in your email. The file will usually be deleted in a week or so - but can be uploaded again and you're good for another week.
Bettye Zoller

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reply about not sending audio files but instead, telling folks where or what website to go to to hear you is a good one. However, I did not make myself clear in my initial post about instead of always mailing demo CDs to producers, try emailing them instead . . . my fault . . . what I meant was this: If you have a producer you've targeted to get your vo demo to, tell him or her so and then email it instead of mail it. Also, you can access, online, various producers' emails by going to group sites that list producers such as the producers' org. in your city. Sorry if I was unclear.

But I have a question for our Denver pro who posted a reply to me: Who is the best agent for vo in Denver? I heard about the agent VOICE CHOICES and approached them once. The voicemail system took my phone messages but no one ever responded. I was trying to reach them, trying to help one of my students located in Denver, a real gem of a vo talent . . . it's most unprofessional not to return calls when I made it quite clear why I was phoning them and who I was and my intent. When I get calls from other pros, I extend professional courtesy. They did not! Very unprofessional agency in my opinion!
Your input appreciated!
Bettye Zoller
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue of attachments has been the subject of MUCH discussion here.
The consensus, if I recall, was that unsolicited attachments are a no-no.
donrandall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry if I was unclear.

It was probably a matter of the dull witted and rather "slow" reader not being able to understand properly. Geeze - I can't believe he is really such a dummy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: