VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

speaking of market research

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: speaking of market research Reply with quote

As a radio production guy I get demos mailed and emailed to me all the time. A while back I got a mass email centered around the following:

Quote:
... I will voice your station imaging for $200 a month, unlimited. Before you delete, listen to the attached demo or go to the web address below. You will find that the quality I offer for the price is unmatched in the industry....

That's the line that gets management's attention of course, but it's awfully broad. In my market, the average is higher than $200.00 for 2 pages, let alone "unlimited". MCM's comment in the EBAY thread about doing your research made me think about this some.

I have this vision of the poor man swamped with 40 pages per station...at 200.00 bucks a month.

I got another email from the same guy this week, with basically the same wording except that the word "unlimited" was nowhere to be found.
donrandall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a station manager contact me a while back offering $250 a month for unlimited liners and assorted yuk and stupid stuff. I countered with an offer to do a couple of pages per month for that - dry. Since we couldn't come to any agreement, there was nothing to do but wish him well and wonder if "unlimited" might only be a couple of pages per month.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yipe! I wouldn't sign on for "unlimited" unless there were a hefty retainer. And even some retainer contracts specify a max amount of pages, after which a session fee applies.

$250 unlimited-- what market was it?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Yipe! I wouldn't sign on for "unlimited" unless there were a hefty retainer. And even some retainer contracts specify a max amount of pages, after which a session fee applies.

One street in Weiser, Idaho I expect.
donrandall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

In all honesty, after a quick follow up phone call revealed that there was no likely meeting of the minds, I kinda put it out of my mind until this topic came up - but I think it was probably somewhere in the Dakotas or Montana or Wyoming - I just don't remember. The part I remember was trying to find out what a typical month would require - it may have been that a couple of pages would just about kill it. Then again, he might want several times that amount. I just couldn't get what I thought was a straight answer - and you probably react the same as I do when someone becomes evasive, eh?

Geeze, I'd do a couple of double spaced pages a month - dry - for that. But unlimited?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with retainers for imaging has been good. For an agreed-upon n-hundred dollars per month, I receive scripts, read and record 'em and send 'em to the Hobo Laughing. Starting up means pages and pages of liners and drops because they're infusing the station with the new image voice-- but after that, one radio station isn't likely to have zillions of promos in any given cycle.
Some months I read 5 or 6 pages, some months I read 2 or 3 promos. The retainer maintains my availability for small jobs as well as market excusivity.

Non- retainer imaging has a heftier per-page fee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: