VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The burden of having a 9-5 job. . .

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: The burden of having a 9-5 job. . . Reply with quote

Paperwork! UGH! 14 psychiatric progress notes to write, TONIGHT! It thoroughly sucks. And it's 11pm. That means I'll have to get up at 6 am and go to the office by 6.30 and work my arse off for 2 hours to get things done. Be thankful, those of you that have established VO careers, that you don't have to do MY job. Someday, though, I will be able to look back on this night and chuckle. . .okay, maybe not. But I'll at least be able to look at this night and say, "GOD! I'm glad I don't work THERE anymore!" C'mon Publisher's Clearinghouse! Where are you when I need you?!!

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Christopher, it will come, just keep at it, keep focusing on it, keep practising, making progress.

I came back into voice over from the job I mentioned in my reply to your other post about job interviews, and yes, I am grateful every day that I don't have to go into the office any more.

That said, I made the most of it and enjoyed it while I was there and I was grateful there too!

Nowadays, the stress in keeping on top of my own business instead of someone else's. I always was so much better and more motivated helping someone else, than helping myself. I'm getting better though, I hope Smile
Just because you leave the day job doesn't mean you get away from the paperwork, alas!
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher, I don't think I know anybody in VO who was born into it. Most of us worked at some other kind of job, toiling away. Some longer than others, but everyone goes through it.

This is what's known in showbiz as "paying your dues".

Take it from me, another one of those "overnight sensation - 25 years in the making" types. Keep your eye on the goal, but don't let it blind you to the steps between here and there. So long as you're healthy and your family is healthy, it's all good.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh--keeping away from the "Day-Job Blues" as you start out means dancing with poverty, believe me.

My little family certainly learned to work within an infinitesimal budget-- and if things ever get snug again, we know we can make it with less than half the money we make now.

I don't like Spartan mode, but it is a way of life we can fall back on.
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be thankful for your job. It provides a regular income.
Now, start saving money! Smile
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billelder wrote:
Be thankful for your job. It provides a regular income.
Now, start saving money! Smile

Yes indeedy-do Christopher! Work the 9 to 5'er, put some money back, pick up some gear here and there and keep at it. I still work my regular day job, plus work a day or two a week at the radio station AND do some VO work. I'm hoping that 2006 will be busier for me, as far as VO work is concerned. With your attitude, you shouldn't have any problems! Best wishes my friend! cool
BBeen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fret not Christopher. Like Allen I too work a 9-5 er, then a day or two a week at the radio station, and some vo work. Maintain a positive attitude, keep practicing, and never give up. There are days I want to say $%&$ it all. So I loosen up, regain my bearings, and go back at it.

Remember

If you think you are successful you are right.

If you think you're a failure you're also right
(or something like that)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: