VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tax returns and microphones.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John M wrote:
Well. I'm not sure how, but I got it working. Laugh

Did you figure out what the problem was? If not, it might be an idea to try to recreate it just for future reference, because this kind of thing is going to happen a lot more. Laugh

Now that's sorted, it's time to welcome you to the slippery slope known as Gear Lust. It's a strange little disease that affects owners of home studios.

Typical Gear Sluts Anonymous meeting.

"er...Hello. My name's John and I'm a gear Slut.
It all start innocently enough. Just a cute little 990 and a Behringer. I would just nip into the den for a quick recording. Nothing serious you know. Just a hobby really. But then, a friend brought round an M-Box and....well, after that nothing ever really satisfied me, you know. I was thinking "If I just get that one extra little piece of kit, then I'll really get the sound I need" But it was no use, I couldn't give it up....until my wife threatend to leave me. I guess she was a bit upset when I turned the walk-in closet into a voice booth while she was out shopping. So, I had to make a choice. My hobby or my wife. Well, I figured a Neumann was cheaper...so here I am."

Enjoy the rest of your life. 'cause it may not be the same again. Wink

Maiku.

Reformed gear slut

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
John M

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's time to wallpaper my entire room in sound foam! Anyone have an extra $12,000 I could borrow?
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: Furniture Pads. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47262

Real cheap. They work fine too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GA GA Goo Goo

It was a cold and dark night. I was doing fine, in 2001. But, then the dot com implosion occurred and, what the hell. So, I went looking for a little analog mixer to attach to my cassette machine, which hadn't been used for years. Then, I couldn't find one, anywhere. Not one at any Radio Shack in the entire region! Not at Fry's. Yea, things had really gone sour.

I went to a music shop. "No, what you need is a DIGITAL mixer," he told me. "Everything's digital now. And a mic, too. They're cheap. Everybody uses the SM-58, even all the Grand Old Ophry singers."

I got this Boss mixer and then the mic. But, then something more was needed. I had to get a 128 meg card for the mixer. I found it. It worked.

The day broke, bright and sunny. My first gig was a narration. The Boss mixer and the Shure 58 in the closet would work. Nobody would ever know the difference. Except, the floor of the closet creaked and it got hot, too. But, mostly it was the creaky floor. And, when I put the headphones on, I could hear everything. Birds. Dogs barking. And, this low frequency rumble. I turned the gain down and worked after midnight.

I finished the job. Burned a CD and gave it to the engineer. He said he could take care of everything. The client was happy. All was well. I got paid. That's all that matters.

But . . . the damned Mbox I had seen in the store. That was really something. It haunted my memory. Plus, I wouldn't have to edit using time codes. Yea, that's all I need.

I got the Mbox. But, then, the creaky floor in the closet really got to me. I had to stand in one place, read and sweat. Gestures? Humph. Oh, and the computer had to be outside the bedroom, too. Cables.

When I looked at the monitor, I could see something. It was like a blip at very low frequency. Noise. I didn't want that. I hated it. I knew "hate" was a stong word to use and I shouldn't think it. I was ashamed. Every time I saw it on the CRT, my rage grew. I tried to control mhyself. But, I really hated that low, very low frequency rumble. It was like I could hear the air.

Something was missing, I feared. I needed . . . well . . . something . . . more. Then, everything would be all right. Life would be fine. Flowers would bloom. Children would play. The sun would rise, again. I'd be happy. And, I could find it. I would find it. The answer is out there, I thought. And, damn it, bit by bit and byte by byte, it would be Digitally mine! And, then, I'll really be fine. I was on the path. It led me here, to GA.

But, I just want to tell everybody here I am NOT addicted. I will say it again! I'm no addict. And, I'm not in denial. I haven't bought a thing for . . . since . . . I swear . . . since . . . two weeks ago. And, it wasn't really something I bought. It was like some thing I really needed, because one of my computers broke.

I think I'll sit down now.

Charlie A
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny Charlie!

Don't look to me for support - I would just enable you. Not proud of my microphone rap sheet ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: