VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tax returns and microphones.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Tax returns and microphones. Reply with quote

Okie dokie, here tis. I have ZERO recording equipment, so with the exception of my PC I'm starting from scratch here. I literally have a $9 PC microphone that I'm using.

I want to buy a mic, but don't have a lot of money. Also, at this point I'm not really getting into this to make money...yet. I do an online radio show and some comedy bits for that station as a hobby and I want to get a decent mic for small money. I'm looking at these two right now and figured I'd ask for opinions and whether or not they're any good or not. I'm also currently using a basic PC sound card, but I'll probably upgrade that soon too.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NT1A/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NT3/
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can do better for less.

Consider this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1Mic/

This mic is pretty well regarded - it did well in the mic shoot-out posted a while ago- see a few pages back here in the Gear forum.

I have an NT1A. Don't use it any more - I keep it for backup. It's a bit harsh-sounding to my ears.
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and use the Studio Projects B-1. A great mic.

Also, I've heard great things about the MXL 990. Great reviews on the Audio Technica 2020. And I still love the Behringer 8500 for a great cardioid mic.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

These are all great suggestions. I don't have anything negative to say about any of them, but I will say this. A mic is as personal as your choice of underwear. So my suggestion is to read up on these mics, find reviews etc. and pick out two or three that you like. Then find a music store that has a room you can try them out in. See what kind of return policy you can get too. The XYZ mic may sound great running through whatever preamp they plug it into, but you may hate it at home.

If you are stepping up to that kind of mic, you really do need to get a decent audio interface too.

So, just as a suggestion of something for you to look at and try out check this deal out. It's the MXL 990 and the M-Audio Mobile Pre for $149.00 You can thank Nick Reed for finding the link some time back. I assume the deal is still good since you can still access the webpage. Anyway, I'd try that exact setup in a store if you can, and if you like it consider it.

I have no experience with the mic, but a buddy just bought that setup and he likes it...for his voice anyway.
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:

So, just as a suggestion of something for you to look at and try out check this deal out. It's the MXL 990 and the M-Audio Mobile Pre for $149.00 You can thank Nick Reed for finding the link some time back. I assume the deal is still good since you can still access the webpage.

I just got mine! Bitchin

Gotta start somewhere.....................
John M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you much everybody. Deidre, do you happen to know of any good places in the area to buy mics? Laugh
John M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now I'm going to go into full newbie mode.

Is a cardoid mic better than a dynamic?
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cardioid refers to the shape of the sound field the mic picks up...my dynamic mic is cardiod. The non-dynamic mic is the condenser, generally more expensive, and uber-sensitive. You need plenty of sound baffling, and a "phantom power source" (included in most mixers, pre-amps, and audio interfaces) to use it. It sounds less "warm" than a dynamic but gives a cleaner, more accurate sound...the warmth and other things can be added with gizmos, whatsits, and software tricks.
John M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I ended up buying the MXL 990 mic and a Behringer Eurorack UB1002 Mixer.

I would tell you how it sounds but I haven't hooked it up yet. I went to the music store to get a cable to jack the setup into my PC. The guy at the store basically asked me what the hell was wrong with me and told me I was going to blow up my computer (which I know was BS because I work on computers for a living and the worst that would most likely happen is I'd kill my soundcard) and tried to sell me another $200 worth of equipment.

Regardless of whether or not he was right (which I'm sure you fine folks can tell me Wink ), he went out of his way to make me feel like an idiot and I left without giving him a penny.

So can I hook the Behringer directly to my soundcard or should I do as he said and get a different mixer with USB or firewire? I don't care which way would sound better, I just want to get this thing up and running and play with my new toys!
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! You're good to go!

When someone asks "what the hell's wrong with you?" and they're not your doctor...I'd never darken the door again. <g> Sounds like the guy was trying to make more money. Nothing will blow up (crazy) but USB or Firewire will give a cleaner sound only because "internal cards" can pick up computer noises like moving the mouse. But, you can usually find the "offending" volume and eliminate it. For the record I use an internal card in my studio and USB on my laptop.

Hook it up and have fun!
John M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! Bill, you're my hero. Laugh

Now I just need to find a cable. I have two 1/4" outputs (L and R). I'm assuming my best bet would be to use two 1/4" mono cables and run them into a dual mono 1/4" to 1/8" stereo Y-connector?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found what I need on radioshack's website.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use one of the outputs on my Behringer mixer. L, because I'm left-handed. Wink
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
I just use one of the outputs on my Behringer mixer. L, because I'm left-handed. Wink

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

That's funny, but if you are just going to use one that's the correct one to use I believe. Notice I didn't say the "right" one to use.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John M wrote:
Now I just need to find a cable. I have two 1/4" outputs (L and R). I'm assuming my best bet would be to use two 1/4" mono cables and run them into a dual mono 1/4" to 1/8" stereo Y-connector?

Now you're starting to confuse me. I just wired my 802 this way... "tape out" 2 mono plugs to a "Y" adaptor with 3.5mm mono plug into the "line in" sound card. "Tape in" 2 mono plugs to a "Y" adaptor with a 3.5mm stereo plug into the "output" sound card. Isn't it suppose to be "mono" into the sound card, and "stereo" out?
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John M wrote:
Thank you much everybody. Deidre, do you happen to know of any good places in the area to buy mics? Laugh

Crikey, I just saw this!

Sorry I didn't respond sooner.

John, where in Maine are you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: