VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adobe audition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBeen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Adobe audition Reply with quote

Is there a de-essing option in AA and how do I access it?
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effects/Amplitude/Dynamics Processing/ then scroll through the Presets to "De-esser". Don't use "High S", it will leave yr VO sounding like mud. Medium is a good one, but try highlighting a small section of the recording and then applying it so you can see just what it's doing.
BBeen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS MARY

I knew I had seen it before...just didn't remember where
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's actually more than one. I use 1.5 so if you are on a different version it may be different.

In addition to the one Mary mentioned you can try:

Effects - Filters - FFT Filter - desser preset (I use this one alot)

Seems like several of the Graphic EQ presets help with deessing as well even though they aren't called that. I generally start with a preset then tweak as needed.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that's easy, if you only have a few troublesome esses, is to highlight them and reduce the volume yourself. If the s has a very high peak in the middle, like a whistle, I often have great success just carefully highlighting that part and deleting it. Sometimes I even find an s that I like better and do a transplant.

Of course, you gotta listen afterwards to make sure it sounds good.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
Sometimes I even find an s that I like better and do a transplant.

I do that all the time! Especially when recording other people who don't know how to work a mic (as in clients and sales staff). In fact, I've gotten in the habit of saving every take in case there's an esss...or plosive that needs to be replaced. Sometimes the "rehearsal" has useful bits in it.

I'm glad you mentioned that. It's an excellent tip worth sharing.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when transplants work. I had a few last week that I totally didn't think would work, - a present tense that needed to be a past tense, and a singular that needed to be a plural. But OMG they did work. And when I was recording my narration demo I had "one of the most asked about" and I could not say it!! It came out sounding like "assed about". But I took one of the k's from one of my attempts and put it in and presto! I increased the volume a bit to make it sound more obvious that it was there, but it turns out I actually needed to reduce the volume to make it sound natural....

I really shouldn't get going on the joys and satisfactions of this editing technique - but one does savor one's little triumphs....
BBeen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta admit when i say asked it sounds like assed too. at least i'm not axing about it.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of phrases, I had to voice a spot today that started with the words "mobile professionals." I don't know why, but I just couldn't say it. Must have tried 30 times before I said "%^&* IT!" and recorded them independantly and edited it together.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Problems with Audition sutting down Reply with quote

This morning I was editing some short .wav files in Audition. I had highlighted a bit to delete at the end of the file, and suddenly the program wanted to shut down. It told me I had to shut down and continue anon. Fortunately I had been saving frequently, as usual, and did not lose anything. But it happened 2 more times. Very alarming. Anybody else have this experience?

Windows XP Pro, 1 GB of RAM, tons of storage space.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Audition on my work machine likes to shut down at random times. It doesn't happen very often and I haven't figured out a pattern to it. I think it has to do with my audio interface locking up but I'm not sure.

Usually when it does that, when it restarts it asks if I want to continue where I left off. That works most of the time. Once, it didn't. I hadn't saved recently. Frown Had to go find the tmp file and trick it into opening. I should have written down how I did that for future reference, but I didn't.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an anomoly based on how fast you "click" items and how many clicks you do when processing or editing...

Had 39 minutes of audio recorded last week, hadn't saved recently... it died on me... boy was I upset, found the .tmp file and brought it back... luckily. Saved immediately!

Simple fix, slow down. Unfortunately the computer doesn't "think" as fast as we do... Oh, Adobe has NOT "fixed" the problem in Version 2.0.

Frank F
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:

Simple fix, slow down.

Funny, some of my clients think I'm kind of slow at editing. Smile

Never woulda pegged that as the problem in a million years.

Thanks Frank and Brian. I'll try to slow down Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: