VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO Book Recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Morss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have and gone through pretty much all of the VO books listed, so I'll avoid a repost of them.

Lately I've been working through books associated to improving my voice, speech and motivation. These included:

Speak with Distinction (Book, Audio, and Practice Booklet) by Edith Skinner
The 3- Dimensional Voice by Joni Wilson
The Actor Speaks - Voice and the Performer by Patsy Rodenburg
Make Your Voice Heard by Chuck Jones
The Complete Voice & Speech Workout by Applause (Book and CD) Edited by Janet Rodgers

I've also been through the following a time or two:
IMPRO - Improvisation and the Theatre by Keith Johnstone
* This is a great book on Improv and is very funny to boot.
Audition - Everything an Actor needs to Know to Get the Part by Michael Shurtleff

For Motivation and to just plain get the funk out of my head, I refer to:
See You at the Top by Zig Ziglar
Unlimited Power by Anthony Robbins

And for fun with no acting or VO reference, I've read:
SELF-RELIANCE and Other Essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson
Walden by Henry David Thoreau
CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE and Other Essays by Henry David Thoreau
Brian Whitesides

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up two that are turning out to be great information:

The Art of Voice Acting (4th edition) - James R. Alburger - already mentioned several times, but just HAD to add my 2 cents in.

Voice-Over for Animation - Jean Ann Wright and M.J. Lallo - this one I haven't seen listed here but for those who may be interested in this area of voice-over work, especially developing character voices, it is a great information and very helpful.

Looks like I will be adding several more to my library thanks to the great suggestions on this topic.

Cheers.
colinsz1
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished a book a little while back called, "How to succeed in Voice-Overs without EVER LOSING" by Jack Angel. It isn't a book solely about voice overs per say more then a book about how to market yourself as a Voice Over Artist and take creative risks to further your career. For example in the book Jack Angel spent $5,000 dollars on 1,000 specially designed Gold Leaf black boxes to send out his demos and the one job he got right away from that promotion made him well over the $5,000 he spent; he also got future work from that promotion as well. It's an interesting and short read as it's only 99 pages with contents included.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reading lists oh my Reply with quote

Interesting stuff!!

I just found this community so its cool to see what y'all have enjoyed reading.

Funny how few of these have been turned into audiobooks! I guess the market aint that big

-Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: