VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A simple WOW will suffice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: A simple WOW will suffice Reply with quote

Since I got this new computer yesterday, and I NOW have access to speakers (the speakers on my laptop were broken), I listened to a few websites and all I can say is WOW!!! Every one that I listened to is just fantastic!! I have a LOT of work to do. It just makes me all the more eager to do this, hearing how great everyone sounds. I know that it takes time to get that good and get those types of gigs, but after hearing examples, I'm even more convinced that this is what I want to do. I'm starting tonight by reading a story from a book called Alfred Hitchcock's Tales of Terror. . .if I can remember where in this house I put it.

Chris

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

I can't recall if anyone has suggested any good VO books for you yet. I just got my copy of "The Art of Voice Acting" by James R. Alburger back from a co-worker today. So that reminds me to suggest it. Get it from his website http://www.voiceacting.com/ and you get an "ebook" with it. Oh, it also comes with a CD-ROM that's very helpful.
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely right Hart, that is a very good book. I already own a copy. Laugh The only thing that stinks is, the CD came up missing!!

Chris

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Shame about the cd though.

What else have you read that you liked or found helpful? I liked both of Harlan Hogan's books. Some was helpful, some I already knew, but they were both easy to read and to understand.

I've bought one book,that shall remain nameless, that I found to be terrible. It wasn't helpful at all. Actually, it was just a "look at me and how great I am" thing. Very short, and pointless. It also happened to be the first "VO" book I bought. I learned my lesson on that and research a little on the web now before buying.
Doc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine Clark's books are also quite good. Here's a link:

http://www.voiceoneonline.com/store/store.html
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to WOW, where has he been and to what has he listened? Spill the beans Mr French.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil... If he looked for the Wow’s alphabetically... you are among the Wow’s. Unfortunately... if he heard mine first... he's easy to please.

Christopher French wrote:
You are absolutely right Hart, that is a very good book. I already own a copy. Laugh The only thing that stinks is, the CD came up missing!!

I'll give Jim a call and see about another CD. If I can get one I'll get it off to you.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
In order to WOW, where has he been and to what has he listened? Spill the beans Mr French.

Oh Phil... I'm sure that nobody here needs a boost to their ego by hearing who wowed Chris! Rolls Eyes

Ahhhh, who the heck am I kidding? Where were ya and who's initials are W.O.W? Inoccent

Chris French wrote:
...all I can say is WOW!!!

Just you wait until you get those new monitors you've been talking about Wink

tee hee hee
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianforrester wrote:
Just you wait until you get those new monitors you've been talking about Wink

now that's funny. I don't care who you are.
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Mr. Banks, Since you have requested it, the beans are now on the floor. Yours was the first site I listened to that promted the WOW comments. cool

Chris

Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey wrote:

I'll give Jim a call and see about another CD. If I can get one I'll get it off to you.

THAT would be so awesome!! I would be most appreciative!

Chris

Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:

I've bought one book,that shall remain nameless, that I found to be terrible. It wasn't helpful at all.

I'd rather not pick up THAT book. Has anyone used the book Making Money in Voice-Overs by Terri Apple? It was the first book I bought but I hadn't had the time to read it, and when I made up my mind to do this, I bought James Alburger's book. . .and lost the CD. (Yeesh) Anyway, does anyone have any feedback on Terri Apple's book?

Chris

Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Teri Apple's Book Reply with quote

I bought it and was really disappointed. It is out of date and she doesn't understand techical terms. I go with the others recommended. James Alburger's The Art of Voice Acting is good. Bailey and I trained with him.

Greg
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher French wrote:
Well, Mr. Banks, Since you have requested it, the beans are now on the floor. Yours was the first site I listened to that promted the WOW comments. cool

Chris

You ole flatterer! Rolls Eyes

The serious reason for my question was to see what you felt you'd learned from your tour of hopefully more than one site. No need to name people, just thought it would be useful to see what ideas you'll be taking with you and what you feel is not for you. Most important of all, after all the wisdom heaped upon you by my friends do you have a sense of where you're going next?
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was listening to how many variations that everybody gets on their voice. When I recorded my own voice last night on the ol tape recorder, it didn't seem (to me anyway) that I had that many variations. I was reading a story from a compilation. I'm thinking that once I get my printer hooked up, I'm going to start typing the stories into a printable copy, because when you're trying to read words off a book page and actually talk at the same time, that's hard. Especially when the words are small. Anyway, it simply amazed me the range of vocal ability on all the sites I visited last night. I realized that only time and practice will tell wether or not I have what it takes. Thank God I have a supportive wife. She told me this morning before I left for work that she hasn't seen me this excited about a project in awhile. That made me feel good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: