VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which audio recording suite?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick reed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Which audio recording suite? Reply with quote

I am looking for a complete audio recording suite. Currently, I have three buggy programs that are driving me crazy. For recording, I have Steinberg Cubase VST, which usually works fine by itself (occasionally buggy) but for wave editing, it relies on a sister program, WaveLab, with which I have ongoning problems. Also, this Cubase VST is an older, lite version (it came with my soundcard) and it won't keep custom default settings... very annoying. I guess the main problem here is that I have the LITE versions of these programs and that is probably the source of bugginess. I can't upgrade with Cubase because they do not have an integrated program.

Bare bones requirements:

1. Stereo recording
2. Wave editing
3. Output in mp3

It would be nice to have:

1. Midi capabilities (I do some midi music recording)
2. CD creation capabilites

Any recommendations?

Nick

Last edited by nick reed on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound Forge 8 is very user friendly and provides everything I need for professional applications.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rather partial to Adobe Audition, formerly Cool Edit Pro. But then, it's all I know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
I'm rather partial to Adobe Audition, formerly Cool Edit Pro. But then, it's all I know.

I love Adobe Audition, but alas no midi support.

Also no ASIO support, but supposedly that's coming in version 2.0. Keep your fingers crossed, maybe midi will be added as well, but I'm not counting on it.
Doc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... which version of Audition are you using? I have full record/playback midi on mine!
dscott
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: protools & logic Reply with quote

I've used ProTools Free for a number of years for both audio and MIDI limited to 8 audio and 48 midi tracks - I think it is still available at digidesign.com

I mostly use my mac PowerBookG4 for tracking these days so I'm using Logic Express for audio/midi.

For music beds I like GarageBand/Soundtrack/Logic to bring in JamPack Loops to create whatever feel the client likes...

CoolEdit/Audition is a fine tool for the PC

Allways something new to learn! Cheers
Dave
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc wrote:
Hmmmm... which version of Audition are you using? I have full record/playback midi on mine!

Sorry, talking different things here. I love fooling around with my midi controller (keyboard), more for fun than work. Playing music helps me relax. Occasionlly I like to record it, or I'll whip up a small "audio logo" for a client or something. So I have to go record it in another program, export and save it, and then open it with Audition.

And yes, I could "rewire" it, but that seems more trouble than it's worth.
Doc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. To each his own!

Smile
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me feel better to know that most folks are having high praise for Adobe Audition. I had several music people tell me that I would want to use that to get started with my VO work. I just bought a new computer last night (granted it was a 350 dollar Compaq Presario with no monitor from Wal-Mart) and I'm hoping that it might be able to handle Audition. Thanks for listening.

Chris

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adobe just released version 2.0 of audition yesterday.

Here's the official FAQ:

http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/pdfs/audition_faq.pdf

And here's the home page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/

I love it, but it is $349.00 USD. And there are lots of bells and whistles you don't need if you are just recording your voice. If you have the change lying around and need it's features, I highly recommend it but there are cheaper (even free) alternatives that will let you record your voice.

You'll want to check the minimium requirements very carefully. And remember minimium is just that, the bare minimium. They recommend 1 gig of memory.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, just to get started, there is some free and cheap audio editing software out there. I bookmarked www.goldwave.com a while back because I had read some good reviews of their program. Haven't tried it, but you can take it out for a test drive for free, and it's $48 to buy. I'd do some hunting if I were on a budget.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Sound Forge Audio Studio Reply with quote

You might want to look into Sound Forge Audio Studio 8. It's the lite version of Sound Forge. I use it all the time, as a matter of fact, it's my preferred program for voice work. I have Cool Edit Pro (older version of Audition) but don't use it unless I need the multi-track section or need an effect that SF doesn't have. For just VO work, Sound Forge Audio Studio 8 can't be beat AND the price is right! $69.95. By the way, the full version of Sound Forge is a bit cheaper than Audition at $299.95. Both versions support ASIO drivers and VST and DX plugins.

Sound Forge Audio Studio 8 Details: http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=975

Sound Forge Details: http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Products/ShowProduct.asp?PID=961
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..........or you could use my suggestion Laugh

Banksey wrote:
Sound Forge 8 is very user friendly and provides everything I need for professional applications.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
However, just to get started, there is some free and cheap audio editing software out there . . .

Get Audacity, Version 1.2.4. Stable. Good. Can't beat it. THE WAY TO GO. Open Source!

cool

Woops. I forgot to mention that not only is it free, but you can get a free MP3 converter and it will give you the bare bones you're seeking. It'll mate to your sound card, too. It's a great way to go, in my book. And, of course, the price is right!
donrandall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.goldwave.com

I feel sorry for anyone using stuff that locks up every few minutes, or doesn't have any useable tools included. Things like non destructive editing with undo, expander/compressor, reverb, echo, time warp, doppler, graphic eq, parametric eq, pop & scratch filters and a long list of other goodies are all included - and when newer versions come out, you get the upgrade without charge.

It also has the tool built in that allows you to convert to mp3 and a bunch of other formats that very few of us will ever use - or have even heard of. The mp3 files conversion files are not included because of certain legalities, but can be downloaded seperately, for free, and will then work without any hassle.

You can also use the Goldwave forum to pick up tips from other users and Chris, the main most head man of the company often is available to answer questions.

I have used it for years, and endorse it without reservation - even though I do have another (more expensive) program that is a pain and no where near as intuitive or easy to use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: