VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connect to other studios from within Pro Tools!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Connect to other studios from within Pro Tools! Reply with quote

For those who work with other studio's around the world using Pro Tools 6.4 and higher... there's a solution that doesn't require codecs anymore and still offers GREAT sound quality.

http://www.source-elements.com

Currently a friend of mine is beta-testing this stuff here in The Netherlands and it really rocks so far. Check it out... and no, it's not my company :P
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teh k00l.

I've signed up for the "Let me know when this comes out!" list.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat. I'm ready, too. I think I'll voice the terms and conditions. That should be a cool exercise. But, I'm really ready to work. In the words of another talent, "Now, what are we going to do with it?"

CC
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I've signed up too.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
fmvoice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wanted to de-lurk for a moment to say thanks for posting that link. I've signed up as well. I live in a really remote (that's an understatement) area, so ISDN isn't really a possiblity for me, unfortunately. So this looks like a viable alternative.

This brings me to another quandry that I would like some opinions on...The nearest ISDN equiped studio is 2 hours driving distance away from me. I haven't used their services yet, but I called to inquire how far in advance they usually book time. They said they usually can book time on fairly short notice (sometimes same day, or within 24 hours). I currently market that I have a home studio and make no mention of ISDN.

Would it be misleading to advertise that I have access to an outside ISDN studio, even though it's not exactly nearby?

Thanks in advance!

Fran

http://www.fmvoiceovers.com
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran--

Don't advertise what you don't really have. 2 hours is 2 much.

Most of the remote work I do is file transfer: MP3, wav, aif.

My commercial ISDN sessions are exceedingly rare.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran--

Don't advertise what you don't really have. 2 hours is 2 much.

Most of the remote work I do is file transfer: MP3, wav, aif.

My commercial ISDN sessions are exceedingly rare.

I echo the sentiments... and add - ... are exceedingly rare - "lately".

Just to re-iterate, there are things coming down the pike in the near future where ISDN will not only NOT be required, but which will make ISDN passe'.

Frank F
fmvoice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses! It actually makes me relieved because I think I would feel too uncomfortable about it anyway. The work I do now is pretty much exclusively file transfer from a home studio. I was just looking into an additional marketing strategy.

Thanks again! Knew I could count on you guys! I don't post much (I came here through voiceartist.com), but I refer to these boards on at least a weekly, if not daily basis and can usually find the answer I'm looking for.

Fran

http://www.fmvoiceovers.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The product announcement was also published on the Digidesign User Conference. I wrote the marketeer and asked a question about licensing, as the company's still working out the pricing. My basic question is whether two licenses would have to be obtained if the application is used on a laptop while travelling.

It seems to me the product is a great mobil solution. Often, I'm in L.A. rather than in the S.F. Bay area where my home studio is located. I have a copy of Pro Tools on my laptop and desktop, and I don't have to have an additional license for PT, provided I only use one at a time. It would be really cool if the plug in didn't require a separate license for the laptop, too.

I can always find a high speed pipe in L.A., and a clothes closet. Finding a "free" ISDN line and studo is a lot harder.

I'll share whatever answer comes back on that question.

- Charlie
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know you could post to this board as a guest!

Oh well . . . :lol:

Laughing

John Binder of Source Elements (binder@source-elements.com) says all a user will need is one license and an iLok, so the plug-in can be used if you're mobil and need to do a job, and have PT on your laptop. Wow! Now that will really make a difference in mobility and getting work done.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
The product announcement was also published on the Digidesign User Conference. I wrote the marketeer and asked a question about licensing, as the company's still working out the pricing. My basic question is whether two licenses would have to be obtained if the application is used on a laptop while travelling.

- Charlie

Charlie,

It'll probably support PACE Ilok authentication, so you'll need a USB port with the authenticated key. Pretty much all the plugins these days have that option.

Kevin
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fmvoice wrote:
The work I do now is pretty much exclusively file transfer from a home studio.

I do occasional file transfers but most of my work is done at other studios. I did look at ISDN but decided it was too much of an investment when isp based systems are likely to take over in the near future. I want to ask those of you who do work mostly from home whether most of your sessions involve a phone patch or are you pretty much left to your own devices. I'd like to pick up some work from the USA and I'm wondering what is 'normal' there.

Cheers.

Maiku

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Mainly phone patch .... The stations I image are just faxed scripts. I'm wondering if the IM feature of that products means there is no audio going both ways.

Kevin
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot of Phone Patch as well as emailed scripts.

The ProTools new toy will be like using a walkie talkie - one side at a time transmission. You can do this NOW - if you do not want to wait for the plug in. Send the files as a PT session file and the receiving studio/computer will have all session data, just as it is on your computer. It may be one rather large file however, depening on how involved the recording is. If it is just VO, it's not too bad.

The "new" toy is a simple "peer-to-peer" networking system - within a ProTools package, using session file protocols. Nice marketing strategy, but useful?? It will have it's place, but not likely in my studio.

Remember, this is "ProTools-to-ProTools" ONLY. Unless the other studio has a way to decipher a ProTools session, you are out of luck. The software to do the conversion is approximately $400.00 (I cannot remember the name at the moment... when I do I will post) and will only give data files such as placement information and the .aiff's. It will not be able to keep the plug-in information and other data involved with the PT system.

As I am not a PT abuser (I use it sparingly) and use other programs such as Vegas, Audition, etc. for the PC - this is not much of an announcement - other than being another way for DigiDesign to get more money from a person - the capability is already there.

Unless you RX/TX lots of multi-track files, this is not much of an announcement or new toy.

Frank F

Last edited by Frank F on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
fmvoice wrote:
The work I do now is pretty much exclusively file transfer from a home studio.

I want to ask those of you who do work mostly from home whether most of your sessions involve a phone patch or are you pretty much left to your own devices.

Maiku

Phone patch.

CC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: