VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A simpler DAW

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: A simpler DAW Reply with quote

I've searched for a decade but most DAW interfaces continue to sport

too many musician-based features I don't want to use - or see, especially

standalones. I have relied on orphaned Fostex Foundations for years...

Closest to the 'analog' simplicity that I've seen.

Give me Bias Peak x 8 tracks and I would be content. Yet Bias Deck

still lacks the straightforward ease of cut/paste/scrub. Still have to edit

in Peak, THEN bounce your tracks IN to Deck to work with.

The ideal, for me is a simple graphic waveform editing layout for

8 tracks, any one of which may be recorded into directly and independently

at once.

With Pro Tools a template that 'scales down' as much as possible becomes

the only option. I haven't taken the time to mess with it in a while but

it may wind up my final solution. Meantime, Cubase SE could be it, tho

they've removed downloadable demos. I know and hear the support for

CoolEdit-Now-Audition - but, annoyingly, Adobe is abandoning Apple-compatibility. And of course, I'm a Mac Guy all the way.

Anyone who shares my appreciation for simplicity and cares to weigh in

on what you feel is the "easiest" and most "user friendly" interface in

DAW hard/software....I welcome your opinions. Mind you, I don't miss

20 years of splicing tape...but the case can be made for a software app.

that TRULY emulates that straightforward analog broadcast production

environment. Let's be honest. Pro Tools, like so many other apps,

are designed for music production, hence as many bells and whistles as

possible are incorporated to maximize that pilot's cockpit complexity of

effects and features some of us don't want or need and in my case,

get in the way of a simple task.

I can really go off on the subject of digital mixers but that's another, marketing discussion. I essentially "won" a long newsgroup

argument about the needless complexity of same- I'll find the thread link

if anyone is interested in the point of that subject.

Regards,

Mikey

Saying something since 1970-
something
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey--

I'm a Mac user all the way, too.

My experience with Pro Tools is kind of like my experience with Photoshop. I probably use 5% of their capability, but I get my work done. I have been using PT Free for the past 5 years and finally took the plunge and bought an Mbox recently-- and I couldn't be happier.

I know that PT has loads o' stuff we voice-only people don't need, but you can sure make it simple if you want. It seems to have the most straightforward interface. I have also discovered that some stuff that is for music application can be used for voice effects.

I've tried Peak and Garage Band and I just didn't like the presentation on the screen.

DB
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: This is what you want (and so would I). Reply with quote

Well, if you're like me, and money is a factor, we are somewhat limited in our choices.

However, if you have an extra $16k - $19k sitting around, I guarantee you would really like this. http://www.orban.com/orban/products/audio/radio/audicy_features.html

I worked with one in its earlier incarnation, and I used to work for one of its main designers. It's probably the fastest and most intuitive audio editor I've seen. It was created with radio spot production in mind. They soon added video lock capability, but as an audio editor in an all-in-one package, I don't think it can be beat. Again, there are many other systems that do more for less money, but if you're used to tape cutting, this is as close as I've seen.

BTW, I am a Mac (and Pro Tools Free) user as well. The free version does everything I need it to. I just wish it were usable in OS X. I can't justify the several hundred dollars for Pro Tools LE and an M-box, to say nothing of a big-ticket system like the Audicy.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Don-- I couldn't justify the cost either for the longest time, but I have to do a lot of "record this and send immediately" stuff with my CBS gig that the OS8.6 beige-networked-to-G4 setup just became too much of a pain. Yeah, the Mbox is a dear little piece of equipment (on USB 1, no less!!) but my production time has been cut in half, at least, and I can email stuff at the same time as I'm editing.

I'm a gear piggie, anyway. Too much stuff is just right.

Jim Barton

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Christmas gift for you... Reply with quote

DB:

I have a few old monitors lying around here. I think you need them to round off your setup. Just say the word,

Jim
Edo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Mikey--

My experience with Pro Tools is kind of like my experience with Photoshop. I probably use 5% of their capability, but I get my work done. I have been using PT Free for the past 5 years and finally took the plunge and bought an Mbox recently-- and I couldn't be happier. I know that PT has loads o' stuff we voice-only people don't need, but you can sure make it simple if you want. It seems to have the most straightforward interface. I have also discovered that some stuff that is for music application can be used for voice effects. DB

Budgetwise an Mbox with Pro Tools LE is the best choice if you want to have multitrack capabilities and a universal platform. It really doesn't matter if you use it on a Mac or on a PC. Furthermore, you can cater larger studio's with big Pro Tools systems for you can provide a format that fits their sessions perfectly. These days voice-over stuff gets posted through Digidelivery all the time. I just import into my Pro Tools HD system and off we go... Another reason for getting an Mbox is the fact that the thing was built by Focusrite. Good stuff!

If (like many others I presume) people use only 5 percent of Pro Tools, I'll be more than happy to fill you in on some of the other 95 percent. Just ask me stuff and I'll try to come up with an answer shortly. I promised myself to go all the way to reach Pro Tools Expert-level, and I just finished the two first official Digidesign programs involving the production essentials. I've been working with Pro Tools for well over two years now and it's a killer DAW.

So if I can help, just drop me a line or post a message on the board. We might even start a Pro Tools topic... it's up to Deirdre to decide.
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edo wrote:
So if I can help, just drop me a line or post a message on the board. We might even start a Pro Tools topic... it's up to Deirdre to decide.

A ProTools topic might not be a bad idea. I know the Digidesign Forum exists (and I know DB and I have both posted there on occasion), but understandably, much of that forum's topic matter focuses on music use.

Sometimes there may be an easier way to do something, that might not be immediately evident. I certainly wouldn't object to having a resident ProTools expert available here. Careful what you volunteer for, Edo. Smile

Of course, in fairness we should then have aPeak, Sound Forge, Cool Edit, etc. expert as well.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure we can keep a Pro Tools topic going in here if you like. I'd rather not have another forum, though, unless it's really necessary. Too many fora(?) forums(?) kind of clutter the Main Page and make it had to navigate.

Keeping a Pro Tools topic going is as simple as posting to it since it will jump to the top of this page. If we need to, I can make it a Sticky and it will stay at the top of this forum list.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don G. wrote:
A ProTools topic might not be a bad idea. I know the Digidesign Forum exists (and I know DB and I have both posted there on occasion), but understandably, much of that forum's topic matter focuses on music use. Sometimes there may be an easier way to do something, that might not be immediately evident. I certainly wouldn't object to having a resident ProTools expert available here. Careful what you volunteer for, Edo. Smile Of course, in fairness we should then have aPeak, Sound Forge, Cool Edit, etc. expert as well.

I'm also a Sony Sound Forge 7.0 addict on the PC... I'll be more than happy to share my experiences...
Edo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Don G. wrote:
A ProTools topic might not be a bad idea. I know the Digidesign Forum exists (and I know DB and I have both posted there on occasion), but understandably, much of that forum's topic matter focuses on music use. Sometimes there may be an easier way to do something, that might not be immediately evident. I certainly wouldn't object to having a resident ProTools expert available here. Careful what you volunteer for, Edo. Smile Of course, in fairness we should then have aPeak, Sound Forge, Cool Edit, etc. expert as well.

I'm also a Sony Sound Forge 7.0 addict on the PC... I'll be more than happy to share my experiences...

That was my comment by the way, fortgot to log in just now...

Regards,

Edo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: