VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice Overs and Tax Implications

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Voice Overs and Tax Implications Reply with quote

Happy New Year all!

I am just starting out in the VO world and am poised to begin marketing my demo at the end of this month As tax season is soon to kick into high gear soon, I am wondering about what my tax implications will be as a voice over artist (i.e. what can I deduct, should I incorporate myself, what's the right entity for my voice over business, etc.) The only VO expense I've really had in 2005 is paying for my demo production and travel time.

How do you guys handle this? Is there literature out there I can read before consulting (and paying for) an accountant?

Thanks for any advice and suggestions!

Karen
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need to incorporate.

I found a tax accountant who handles artists' taxes. My VO biz is quite similar in terms of numerous income sources and studio expenses.

My deduction breakdown is extensive-- I file a long form. If you're planning to make deductions, you'd better get an accountant. You will be happy to fork over the fee and forget about the agony.

Didn't we have a conversation about this last year?
I wonder, if we did, if those postings got lost in the Great Hack of 2005.

I can't find anything from early last year with the word "accountant" in it.

Oh, well. Chime in again...what the hell.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good accountant is worth every penny - just make sure to get references from another freelancing individual.

Just a note - in terms of credit, putting yourself down as "self-employed" or "freelance" is usually not a very good idea. Unless, of course, you've established a relationship with a certain bank. Once you can make enough money to sustain yourself, consider incorporating - it's alot more taxes, but your accountant will take away this headache from you. I'm not suggesting you do or you don't, I'm simply saying not to dismiss the option. It really does have an impact on credit rating.

OT: If you're just "starting out" you might want to consider holding off on "marketing" your demo too early. First impression is huge - consider more training if you haven't done so already. There's no rush.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned a lot and gotten a lot of help from my state's Small Business and Technology Development Center on this kind of stuff. From the little work I have at the moment, just putting it on my personal tax return seems to be the way to go for now. Especially since I have lots of write-offs for equipment ect. to offset the 1099's.

From what I've read, I don't think incorporating is right for me, but your mileage may vary. I think if and when the time comes, forming a limited liability company is the way to go in my state. Check your state's small business resources. I've also learned a lot at http://www.sba.gov

I don't understand a lot of this tax stuff, but my wife is an accountant. So, I do know a little. This is all from memory so it may not be entirely accurate, but I'll try:

In addition to your travel and demo expenses, you may able to write off the depreciation on your equipment. Obviously, any new equipment you bought is deductible, but the depreciation thing is nice for the old stuff. Seems like I recall two ways to go about that. One was a one time thing, and one was a recurring year to year deal.

Don't forget about office supplies either, that stuff adds up and is deductible. You DO save your receipts don't you Wink

Also, if you work from home you can deduct utilities, and maybe part of your rent or mortgage. This works one of two ways: If you have 7 rooms, and one is used solely for business, then you figure out what a 7th of these costs are and that's deductible. OR you figure out how many square feet you have versus how many are used solely for business. Divide that out and you can deduct that percentage. Same idea, just two different ways to go about it, and sometimes with fairly big differences.

There are lots of little things I'm sure I'm forgetting, and I'm sure many on this board have much more experience with it than I. I definitely agree with DB though. A good tax accountant is well worth it. My wife says this is the last year she's doing our taxes because they are gettting too complicated.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of these replies have caused me to scratch my head with a question. If you're not in the "mega bucks" category yet, or you are just starting out, at what point ($) do you even start considering claiming the income and getting an accountant?
Undecided
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey wrote:
All of these replies have caused me to scratch my head with a question. If you're not in the "mega bucks" category yet, or you are just starting out, at what point ($) do you even start considering claiming the income and getting an accountant?
Undecided

Good question. I brought one in when I first started mainly because he know's exactly what to look for to help you out as far as deductions and setting everything up. He came up with stuff I didn't even know about. I'd say it's best to have someone on board to help you out so you don't end up writing Uncle Sam a check come April 15th. Also, from past experience, be sure and pay your taxes quarterly so you don't have to write a real big check. I run mine as a Sole Proprietor so I need all the help I can get come April 15th. Cry
As far as claiming the income, if you've made enough to get a 1099 you've gotta claim it. The business will claim it on there end, so it's gotta show up on your end. Tax time, don't ya love it!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, and again your accountant should be consulted, here are things to note:

First, you have to have a lot of really good reasons to be incorporated, so put that question off for a while.

Second, you'll be filling out a Schedule C (Self Employment) tax form on which you will list all of your income and most of your expenses. Look at the categories on the Schedule C and start deciding which of your VO related expenses can be catogorized into those "pigeon holes". Now many of your modern technology expenses can't, so think of other categories: Internet expense (both your provider and your website designer and host expenses for example), Software, Studio (sound proofing, mic stands, cables).

Third, depreciation means you take a major expense item ($500 or more, good mics, computers, etc.) and insted of deducting it all in one year, you spread out the deduction over 3 or 5 or some other number of years. That can help or hurt your situation depending on how high or low you want your taxes to be that year. Have no fear. Apparently you have the option in many cases of filling out the depreciation form and then taking the entire deduction all in the first year. See why you need an accountant?

Fourth, and most important in some ways, when you are self employed no one else is paying for half of your Social Security and Medicare taxes. Normally you have 7 and a half percent deducted from a paycheck and the employer kicks in another 7 and a half. Now that you're self employed you have to come up with all 15 per cent. These are known as the SE (self employment) taxes and are based on your NET income...that's everything left over after expenses are deducted. Also know that no-one is taking Federal and State income taxes out of your pay check either. So if the net taxes you pay to the US and your state have been about 15 per cent, think about this...for every $100 you earn, as much as 30% needs to be socked away to pay your tax obligations. The wise person takes every freelance paycheck and after depositing it immediately transfers 20 to 25% to a savings account to pay for these taxes when they're due. But how many of us really do that all the time?

By the way, your SE tax amount actually comes out to be about 13 and a half per cent because you can deduct IT from your gross income...now you REALLY need an accountant.

Fifth, you can deduct for home office expenses, but it is based on the percentage of square footage of your home or apartment, not number of rooms, and if you get audited you may have to prove that that room was totally devoted to your business (slim chance of that happening, but it can happen). Once you have that percentage you can apply it to basic home expenses such as gas, electric, trash collection, insurance and home repairs and deduct that amount. You put this down on the "Home Office Expense" form.

There's more to consider, but this is a start.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce on Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a headache just reading that. Smile That's why you hire an accountant. It's the best $$$ you'll spend. But like mentioned by someone in an earlier post, don't just grab one out of the phone book. Ask around and get references.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey wrote:
at what point ($) do you even start considering claiming the income and getting an accountant?
Undecided

When I married one she made me claim. Shocked

Bruce, good job describing all this stuff. What happened to the number of rooms versus square footage thing? I'm pretty sure you used to be able to do it that way, but maybe I'm wrong.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the percent of the overall square footage.

I've got 12% or some darned thing, so 12% of all the utility bills count as a deduction, etc.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I wasn't crazy. You can...or could maybe if "all the rooms are the same size you may base your home office tax deduction on a comparison of the rooms used for home office space versus the total number of rooms. (i.e. Your home has 10 rooms and 2 rooms are used for your home office. You can deduct 20% of your total expenses on your tax return.)"

Full article here:

http://www.wwwebtax.com/deductions_z_other/home_offices.htm

But, having read some other articles. Seems it raised a bit of a flag with the IRS to claim a home office so make sure your ducks are in a row.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh-- it has to be space COMPLETELY devoted to the work.

No videogame consoles or fun stuff like that unless you're in the business of making or testing 'em.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: