VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting sound from mic to computer...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick reed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Getting sound from mic to computer... Reply with quote

Bud B's signal chain post got me wondering about all of the ways to get a mic into a computer. Hey, I have my problems solved, I just like to think about stuff like this... crazy huh? Laugh

USB mic
USB audio interface
USB mixer
Firewire audio interface
Firewire mixer
Analog mixer into PCI pro soundcard 1/4" inputs
Pro soundcard with XLR and phantom power, (M-Audio Delta 1010LT)

Then there is the MXLV63MBP which is a battery powered mic that plugs into mini-jacks, 1/4" or XLR. I always thought that this would be a perfect solution for someone on the absolute smallest budget. This could also work well for an extremely mobile setup with a laptop.

BTW, for those of you who go: mic > preamp/processor > computer
Does your pre/pro go into pro soundcard 1/4" inputs or what? That's the only way that I know to do it, but I sure don't know everything.

Any other configurations that I missed? I am not looking for every single possibility (where 2 or 3 adaptors may be used) but the common, simple solutions.

Nick

Last edited by nick reed on Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting sound from mic to computer... Reply with quote

nick reed wrote:
BTW, for those of you who go: mic > preamp/processor > computer Does your pre/pro go into pro soundcard 1/4" inputs or what? That's the only way that I know to do it, but I sure don't know everything.

Only good way to do it I know of too. Certainly you could run it down into a 1/8th inch for a standard sound card but ahmmm...ummmm....hmmmm...not a real good idea.

In my setup:

Comp one uses the Presonus Firebox for the audio interface. Has 1/4 and XLR ins. As stated in the other thread, mic/pre AND mixer go into it directly.

Comp 2 was using a M-Audio Audiophile 192 (PCI) but it died. Haven't replaced it yet. Still haggling with their customer support on that one. Has 1/4 ins. Mic/pre would go through mixer and then into interface.

At the day job I have an Echo Gina run into the computer. Mic goes into mixer, then into Gina. And let me add she's a b*tch. I use the preamp in the Mackie cause my station is po'.
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Getting sound from mic to computer... Reply with quote

nick reed wrote:

BTW, for those of you who go: mic > preamp/processor > computer
Does your pre/pro go into pro soundcard 1/4" inputs or what? That's the only way that I know to do it, but I sure don't know everything.

Nick,

Yeah, that's the way I do it so I bypass the preamps in the Firebox. My setup runs Mic>Pre>Comp>Firebox.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: