VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another signal chain question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBeen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok new requirements

Not PCI...just don't feel like messin with it

and exactly HOW does a firewire connect to the computer/recording software

I DO know how USB works

thanks
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic explanation: it's more or less the same type thing with a different kind of cable. You'll have an external audio interface connected via firewire cable to your computer. You can usually choose whether or not to power it via the firewire cable too.

Firewire tends to be faster than USB. so less latency issues. Not sure about against USB 2.0. Perhaps somebody else could answer that.

If you have a firewire port on your computer I would go with that as there seem to be fewer issues from what I've read. Can't say for sure as I've never used a USB interface.

There are a few out there for under $200.00. Look here for model info and price: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category.php?&c=683&sb=catalogprice&so=asc
nick reed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firewire works through a Firewire port, just like a USB port... only different. If you have a Firewire port, then you can consider Firewire. If you don't have a Firewire port (often used for DSL, BTW), don't worry about it, just use USB. However, your equipment and computer should be USB2 (which is a little faster than Firewire, BTW). The older USB may not be fast enough, but maybe for voice only, it may be ok, I don't know.

Before, recommending any specific equipment, I have another question. Do you currently have the ability for effects such as EQ, de-essing, or compression? If so, what are you using for them (software, or what)? If not, do you want to have them in your setup?
nick reed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind my questions. After a brief survey of what is available in your price range, I think you chose right the first time; an M-Audio MobilePre would do the trick. There really are no other options, and it does come with some effects.

So, go the M-Audio audio interface and an MXL or Studio Projects B1 and you should be set.

I must say, however, that I do not know if this will be a significant (or even noticeable) improvement over your current setup.

Nick
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick reed wrote:
I must say, however, that I do not know if this will be a significant (or even noticeable) improvement over your current setup.

Nick

I've gotta say I agree with Nick. I fell into the trap, as I'm sure alot of people on this board have, of taking side steps when it comes to buying equipment instead of forward steps. It's best to hang on and save, then get the best mic you can along with the best pre to take it to the next level sound wise. I might be stating the obvious here but your VO chain is your money train.
nick reed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I read some user reviews on the Samson mic and most of them were pretty bad... saying the mic was thin. Combine that with an inexpensive soundcard (didn't you say on-board sound, I can't remember), anyway, after thinking about it, there is more of a chance for improvement than I first imagined.

Good luck...
Nick
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

Not to be taken as jumping on the defensive...but, wow, I didn't realize everyone was so "anti-mixer" here. Just to clear things up a bit. I NEED a mixer as I use other audio sources as well as the mic. I am NOT using the UB802's preamps. I have an outboard pre/processor for that purpose. I use what I need for what I do. Same goes for everyone else, use what you need to get the job done. If a mixer is necessary, then it is. If not, then so be it. I am not sacrificing any sound quality whatsoever due to a mixer being in my signal chain. I've tried it both ways and can't tell the difference.

Just my 2 cents.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I'm not anti-mixer. Love my Mackie, and actually really like my Yamaha.

Just saying for basic voice over...speak into mic, record, send to client... it's not needed.

A mixer is not currently part of my mic chain but is in my setup. The mic goes into the audio interface on one channel, the mixer (with cd player, DAT, phone, etc) going in on another two. Computer goes out to the mixer and on to the monitors, or phone, or well whatever.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why a mixer in the chain? It's simple really - control. If you choose to have multiple inputs, such as an outboard CD Player, a mini-disc, a Phone-Patch, or...whatever; a mixer is the easy and inexpensive way to get that gear AND your mic into the Sound Interface.

For an Audio Interface I would suggest something which has 24 bit, (minimum) 48 kHz, stereo audio capability. Even something as simple as an Creative Labs Sound Blaster AudigyII ZS is a VERY workable sound interface or soundcard. Yes, it is PCI and requires you open the computer up and insert a card, but it fairly straight forward with simple instructions supplied.

On board soundcards are usually fairly "Plain-Jane". Some sound all right, but most are - - well - they do not sound as good as you might like. So what do you choose when your on a budget? Whatever you can afford.

You have not mentioned your microphone - although you questioned about several. MXL mics are not bad - depeding on the mic and the voice. A V69 for example is a great voice for a low tenor - baritone or bass voice. I probably would consider something else for a high tenor or female voice (alto or soprano). The first issue is and should be "get the best you can afford"; tempered with the issue of "Does the microphone sound good with MY voice?" - these are the primary issues to consider regarding a microphone purchase.

Mic-pre's are a tangible item for those that desire the "processed" sound or are radio style presenters... if you are doing liners, I.D's and such. Do you need one to start? Maybe, but probably not. Besides it's another expense for the VO Talent on a budget.

Summing up my suggestions for a "start-up" system:

Good mic in your price range and one that suits YOUR voice (can be a condensor or dynamic),

Mixer - inexpensive, but with at least six inputs,
audio interface - stay simple - but keep the quality and remember the minimums: 24 bit, 48 kHz, stereo inputs.

You will need some cords and cables, but these are easy to purchase - almost anywhere.

You CAN do it without the Mixer, but you will an audio interface which has an "on-board" mixer. The MobilePre is a good example of a decent interface which works for Voice Talent.

Frank F
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: ??? Reply with quote

allensco wrote:
Not to be taken as jumping on the defensive...but, wow, I didn't realize everyone was so "anti-mixer" here. Just to clear things up a bit. I NEED a mixer as I use other audio sources as well as the mic.

Now my turn to clear up. Smile I'm not anti-mixer, if you have other sources to record then sure the mixer is needed. Just that if all your doing is VO then it's not needed. Bottom line is use what works for you. Personally I don't need one, my music, efx and sfx are all on hard drive so I don't need a CD running into a mixer. Just a matter of what ya like, that's what makes the world go round.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
You have not mentioned your microphone - although you questioned about several.

Frank,

He did in the very first post. It's a Samson USB, and he wants to upgrade, which sparked the whole conversation.

Frank F wrote:
"Does the microphone sound good with MY voice?"

And that is an excellent point.
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what Hart, Frank and V-O Guy said. I'm not "anti-mixer." That would be silly. It's just that when this topic started it sounded like what was needed was a basic setup for voice.

On this board and previously on Voiceover Cyberstation, I've seen people putting together their initial setups assuming they need a mixer. Obviously that's not so.

Finally, apologies to Allen. I wasn't aware of the production arm of your business. When you mentioned the quality of the Behringer preamps, I assumed you were sending your mic signal through them. I still believe that sending a mic signal through multiple preamps is a questionable practice. So if you are sending your mic through a mixer, I think it's a good idea to route it in such a way as to bypass the mixer's preamps.

Jim

Jim

Last edited by Jim Barton on Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One sure thing about mixers… if they’re going too fast, you get cake mix all over the walls.
(Ooops… wrong bulletin board.)

It sounds to me like “different strokes for different folks”. What works for you (your voice) may not work for me (my voice). Sometimes we need to remember that our voice needs to be addressed like any other component… mic, sound card, mixer, cable, etc.

Some of us may want to take the shortest route from point A to point B, while others may prefer the more scenic route. I can’t get too deep into some matters like the “tech heads” out there. I salute you guys, but I’m more of a “peanut butter and jelly” type of person.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
CWToo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBeen wrote:

1) under 200$ if possible

2) provide phantom power

3) also act as a pre-amp

4) decent quality that will last at least 1-2 yrs

5) easy to use

1. II like my Digi001 and Mbox, both of which have been discontinued but are probably all over Ebay cheap. Actually, I wouldn't mind selling you my Digi001 for cheap. You would be amazed at the improvement.

2. & 3. Almost all stand-alone preamps have phantom power. The Mbox has Focusright preamps which are pretty darned good.

4. 2 years is looooonnnnnggggg in computer audio years--much like dog years--but in the professional production studio I managed in Las Vegas, we were using a 6-year old Pro Tools TDM system running on a prehistoric Mac that was hanging in just fine.

Words of Wisdom (stolen from others 'cause I ain't that smart): Start with the best microphone you can afford. All your quality recording starts there. Then improve the rest of the chain when you can afford to.

I have (and like) MXL mics but they are noisy. AKG 414's work great on what is laughinly called my "voice" but I have been increasingly using the amazing little AT 2020 that came free with my Mbox. The rest of my "recording chain" is a mic cable.

The magic is in the performance, not the processing.
BBeen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally, combining the combined info from the combination of responses, I think I will save up for the better stuff.

The catch 22 of the situation is that i know with better equip, I will sound better, sounding better will get me more biz, more biz will get me more money.

With more money I can buy better equip.

I think everyone knows what I mean.

Is there a way out of this trap?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: