VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mailings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephanie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Mailings Reply with quote

Hi all,

In the past I've included a personalized letter and resume when mailing out my demos. Is this still protocol? I read somewhere recently that a handwritten note (pending legibility, of course!) is a nice touch. Anyone care to share what they include in their package? How about when you can't get a name, and you're told just to send it to casting?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Happy holidays! Laugh
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephanie - I've never sent out unsolicited mailings. I'd be interested to know how that has worked for others.

If I see an ad for a demo request, I just pop the CD in a jiffy bag. They know what it is, and they know what they are looking for, and whether I fit the bill. All my contact info is on the CD. Having said that, I've probably sent out only about 10 of them in total.

I did do some telemarketing for a couple of days, and got requests for me to email my MP3. Net result = 0.

All told, I make a living out of VO, and if I was convinced doing mailings actually paid off I might do one sometime. I'm interested to see what others have done in this regard, too.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always include a letter, a quickie saying hello and thanks for listening or some other such crap, you can find me online a blah-de-blah.

I usually don't include a resume, because I think the demo speaks for itself--- but I recently stuck one into an envelope to a Boston recording studio, just so they could see my "local" credits and know it was me.

I send demos (especially mp3 demos or notes that link to my web page) to all kinds of people-- especially when they're looking for radio imaging. I'll send a demo to guys who are actively seeking men. What the hell? I'm working for one such fellow now.

I have consistent work with a production company that had my demo for a couple of years before they called me. Just get 'em out there and keep sending postcards. Or e-mail.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to ensure the effectiveness of any demo I always do the following.

1 - Telephone the company and ask if the use voice overs and then ask if I may send a demo. I always say "you're allowed to say no". It's important to get the name of the person to whom the demo should be sent.

2 - Just send the demo with a standard one page resume, no letter.

3 - Follow up phone call to ensure the demo has arrived. Be clear that the call is only to check safe arrival, don't ask for feedback or ask if they have listened.

During the above process the potential client has had 3 short telephone conversations with me and so has heard my name 3 times. Seen my name twice, once on CD and once on resume.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Include a short (very short) letter and resume with your demo when you mail to agents. They know why your mailing to them, but professionalism counts.

When mailing to casting directors, just include a handwritten note with your resume and demo. But focus on getting at least a freelance agent before mailing to casting directors in NY. Most won't give you the time of day unless your represented. If you don't have representation, then mail to production companies/departments instead of casting directors.

Follow up phone calls to most agents/cd's in NY will yield just about nothing - they get hundreds of mailings. If you can afford it, send it certified or express mail and that's your confirmation of receipt. I've done the phone call follow up thing and have gotten no response from them. I have, however, gotten called in by agents for interviews as a result of mailings.

-Anthony
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best do as he says, sounds most insistent.
Stephanie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: