VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO "Stage" Name vs. Real Name
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh....Jimmy Woodhaven here!
lisaloo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of folks use a professional or stage name for work in this industry - it's more common than you might think.

In my experience, most people make the swap for one of the following reasons:

* They feel their legal name somehow limits their marketability. For example, I was once married to a Sicilian with a beautiful last name but I knew that - especially for on-camera work - I didn't show up as particularly Italian, so I didn't use his name professionally. And sometimes a name that's just too tough to pronounce gets the boot, too.

* They want to do something memorable or (heaven forfend) "clever". Sometimes this works, sometimes not. I can tell you that alliteration can be your friend, but I also got lucky and came by this honestly. The FIRST husband was named Lewis and I changed it legally at age 20 before I really got started, so there ya go. But it sure hasn't hurt.

* They want to keep their professional and private lives separate.

In any case, if you, your family and/or your agents are comfortable with the change, there is no reason to feel reluctant to do it. Lots of people do.

And all that said, the only thing you want to make sure you take care of is payment and tax issues -- I know some folks who had a problem with this early on. So make sure that you get PAID under your legal name so you can cash your checks!

Wink

Lisa
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the pet/street principle I'd be Figaro North I.

Yipe.

When I was jocking, my PD decided on just plain ol' Deirdre using the one-name-star idea (Barbara, Madonna, etc).
I liked that-- it was my real name, but not my whole name so no fear of identity cranks.

When I started doing traffic reports in Boston, my boss Sean Casey decided that "Deirdre" was much too difficult to pronounce. (Right-- an Irish name. IN BOSTON. There's a weather guy whose name is Cary Schwindenhammer, and he uses THAT name on the air-- so what the heck) Sean Casey decreed that I would be DB Williams, my real last name.
Part of the traffic gig involves calling the state police to check for crash updates. I would say "This is DB Williams calling from 'BZ traffic" and 9 times out of 10 the guy at the SP office would ask "DB Williams? Is that like DB Cooper?" I finally decided that yes, yes it WAS like DB Cooper, and that's been my name ever since.

People are familiar with the name even if they don't know the hijacking story.
I still have trouble getting people to pay me under my right name.

Last edited by Deirdre on Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:

1. Your middle name + the name of the first street where you lived. (Mine name would be Joseph Magnolia)

2. The name of your first pet and the first street, again. (Tiger Magnolia)

That would be... (1) Paul Barclay... and... (2) Chris Barclay.
Whatever works, and turns a buck, works for me.

I also have a very local radio name that's... okay... but I don't think it would make a good VO name... Sensible Jim :roll:
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassius Everett....
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked out my stage name in a college classroom. Found it in a phone book. My first name is genuine, though. I was preparing for a career in radio and since most Top 40 hits were in three quarter time I wanted a three beat name. I remember deliberating between Jeff Davis, Jeff O'Neal and Jeff McNeal. My radio 101 classmates all liked McNeal and so did I. That was 1978 at Pasadena City College.

A good thing too, in retrospect. I learned at a VO dinner party last weekend that Jeff Davis is now suing everybody else who is using his name, which happens to be his real name, apparently. I found that pretty hilarious.

When you join AFTRA or SAG, your stage name becomes "official" and nobody else can use it when they become a member. Oddly enough, even though I have been Jeff McNeal with AFTRA for 26 years, when I joined SAG a couple of years ago, they said I couldn't use it because there was already a member using something "close". So for AFTRA gigs, it's simply booked as Jeff McNeal, but with SAG gigs, it's Jeff J. McNeal, which I think is sort of goofy.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pet / Street ... what happens when your parents refuse to allow you to use "human" names for a pet and only name them by "adjectives" that describe them in some way.... I'd have a hell of a time on air given the names of my pets:

Sparkles Ardella
Silky Jefferson
Brown Dog Jackson
Stinky Cedar (it was Cedar Lane, I think I like Stinky Lane better)

I'd stick with my real name.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I was asked to guest on a celebrity TV quiz. Why me I asked? The assistant researcher told me what I'd done to make me worthy ................Philip Banks? No you're looking for Philip Franks. The latter came to fame playing the part of Charlie, boyfriend to the eldest daughter of Pa and Ma Larkin in The Darling Buds of May. The daughter was played by Catherine Zeta Jones
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stage name hmmm, never thought of that...well, sometimes my parents would call me shithead...is that a good stage name? :shock:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ryansbeal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want my clients to know who I am. Ryan S. Beal, althought my wife calls me things, I better not use them for VO name :lol: I have picked up nick name sin my time, like Diego, Senior, RYGUY, bubba and 'Hey Kockstrap' (ok the last one is an old family joka about my grandpa....

Later and out
RYGUY!!!!!!
ryansbeal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I fatfingered the last post. It is "Hey JockStrap"
nick reed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audio'connell... Hitshed might work... like, Jack Hitshed... I don't know...
audio'connell
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick reed wrote:
audio'connell... Hitshed might work... like, Jack Hitshed... I don't know...

Hmmm, I suppose. I've heard of a game called buck your fuddy but never thought of the name hitshed. OK. Its a start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My radio announcer alter ego is called Bob Bass. I'm sure I've mentioned this broadcasting genius before.

http://thecorporatevoice.com/aircheck.mp3
audio'connell
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to congratulate Mr. Banks/Bass on his 400th post...you kids see what you can do with your time when you're not producing auditions?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: