VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do You Pick an Agent?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pisces is my astrological sign. My personality type is INTP which means Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving. If you look at all the possible personality types the smallest group by far are the INTPs.

Polite one word summary - Maverick
Impolite - Weirdo

A lot of voice talents are HCOS - Huge Chip On Shoulder .............Gawd bless 'em Laugh
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

I certainly hope that your blood pressure is in good shape because I keep getting the feeling like some of us (me included) respond to your posts with vigour and ambition, hopefully not angst! I think that you really stimulate a good amount of positive debate through your insights and opinions and I certainly hope that the responses received are taken simply as disccusion points and not in the least bit personal.

I've certainly realized (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that your intentions are simply to motiviate us to think with a different part of our brains when we are faced with an artistic or business related challenge. Simply accepting something at face value may not be most beneficial, therefore critical thinking and clear business / artistic balance and focus will only help us towards greater success.

Thanks to all of you for making this such a great place to spend time and learn from true pros and stand up individuals.

Happy Holidays
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Nice thought and am certainly not frustrated by any responses. I'll give an opinion and tell people what works for me and why, what they do with the information or whether they value that opinion is entirely up to them.

What worries me is that there are some on here who probably don't see the irony in my signature. I expect when they see a sign that says "Wet Paint" they probably do.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, being a Leo myself, I find the concept of auditioning rather beneath me. After all, should the world not bow before my regal self and bestow its collective lips upon my keester? Alas, I've discovered that upon ascending from my throne to partake of this turly demeaning practice, it's one way (among many) to receive the work and attention I so truly deserve.

At times I do roar at the world as it passes by at the speed of life only to get an occaisonal look from a participant as if to say, "WTF are you?" I'll live to be one thousand and never understand why this has turned out to be the case.

My wife, born under the sign of Aquarius, often reminds me of the same. And after 22 years of marraige I doubt I'll ever be addressed by her as "Your Majesty," either. :cry:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read, I wept anon and now in honour of Drew's plight I shall celebrate his greatness through the meduim of contemporary dance, as is only right and proper.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, the cameras are on another project today, therefore Banksey's dance will not be saved for posterity.

Ah, me.
'twas a sight to see.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, I'm thinking something along the musical offerings of say, Abba?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to clarify something. I didn't mean my disagreement with Phil on the topic of auditions to be construed as a personal attack. It's just what it was -- an alternate viewpoint -- with the idea of newcomers to VO reading and absorbing all the terrific (and sometimes pedantic and obscure) information found here.

That said, upon futher reflection, I don't always audition for everything that comes up. I went through the dog and pony act several years ago with a certain internet "agent", and after an audition requiring me to read an hour of the Quran like "Charlton Heston as Moses in the Ten Commandments", I wrote off this agent as a waste of time and never looked back. Love her as a disco diva, but as an agent, she was looking too much like a cattle rustler. My opinion hasn't changed. An agent that represents too many voice talents is not really representing anyone. A good agent will only forward auditions that he or she knows their talent will be right for, to minimize the "wasted time" factor.

One of the reasons that auditions don't bother me is because most of my auditions these days are coming from high income potential sources via representation of the highest caliber who are collectively working on my behalf to make things happen. But moreover because I simply like to keep busy. If I'm not working, auditioning helps pass the time and gives me something constructive to do besides watch TV, go for a swim, go out to lunch -- or hang out here. I am happiest when I am being productive. Since VO is all I do, I consider working out with my voice as a constructive exercise, whether or not I get the gig.

Someday, I hope that the same will happen for me in L.A. as it has in San Diego and Orange County -- that the auditions will be replaced largely by bookings, and that I will be so busy with bookings that auditions really won't be as much of a factor. But for now, it's all about staying busy and getting heard and establishing relationships with clients who will eventually just call my agent or manager and say "when is Jeff available?". This contact and trust will be established through directed auditions.

Peace on earth to all.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff...

I think I got caught in a true Canadian moment :oops: ... after re-reading my post in response to Phil's take on auditions, I felt that I may have been a bit harsh in my delivery (true Canadian always worried about offending) and that is what I was referring to... it certainly wasnt intended as a relection upon your post. I appreciate both of your view points and truly enjoy reading and chiming in on various subjects!

There I go again... not wanting to offend I feel the need to clarify my intentions after the fact :wink:

Thanks everybody!

Best Wishes.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I was going to ask something about... let's see, what was the topic about? I think it had something to do with picking an agent?... maybe not. My wife always said I was too slow to jump into a conversation... she must be right. I guess I'll just back away from the computer, and put some more balls on the Christmas tree... take a shower... go to bed... say some prayers for all my VO-BB friends... hug my Teddy Bear, and go to sleep.
Confused
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: How Do You Pick an Agent? Reply with quote

I hate to add to this current discourse, so I won't. I think the original questions didn't really get answered, so I'll throw in my 2 cents worth (14 cents in dog money).

SheSpeaksCopy wrote:
I'm curious as to why some VO artists use agents and some don't.

Can anyone tell me how they decided on the agent(s) that rep. them?
Are there any pitfalls to look out for before signing with someone?
My inquiring mind wants to know!

I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to use agents. I've met a few. Their usual excuse is they don't want to pay a commission on their work. Well sure, you don't have to pay 20%, but then you also don't get the 80% they would pay you if they get a job for you that you couldn't.

Agents have contacts that you don't. There are many producers who refuse to work with talent directly and will only contact an agent. One reason: why make 30 phone calls when you can make one or two? This last statement also makes sense when you're trying to expand your work outside of your own market. Why call 30 ad agencies when you can sign up with just one agent who talks to all those agencies?

How do I decide on an agent? I like my local agent because she represents voice talent better than the other 3 that are credible agents. The voice portion of her website is cleaner, easier to navigate, and people know her for having most of the best people. She promotes her people better. She does more outreach than the others. She also doesn't charge for inclusion in her website.

A side note: don't sign with an agent who wants lots of money from you or insists you take classes from them. A good agent might suggest you take classes or recommend a new headshot photo, but gives you a list of several providers to choose from. They might charge to put you on their CD or website, but the charge should be reasonable.

Now that I've got my own studio with ISDN and all, I'm trying to add agents around the rest of the country. To find them I look at the websites of talents I admire or I Google these talents to find out who represents them. If I keep seeing the same agencies pop up, I figure their collective experience is worth trusting.

As far as signing with an agent, I only have a paper contract with two of them, and each has a 90-day quitting period (for both sides). The rest of my agency relationships are based on an electronic handshake. They put me on their website, they send me auditions, and if I get the job they pay me. Simple as that. I hope this helps,

Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: