VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Listening
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"The 80/20 Principal."
Originally known as the Pareto Principle. I just did a narration on the subject. (I guess some of that stuff we read does stick.) Smile
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: I always learn somehting from everybook I read. Reply with quote

Joan Baker's book “Secrets of Voice-Over Success” is more entertaining than educational. You read how others have made it despite challenges, prejudice and discouragement. For example, there is the part where Don LaFontaine talks about how he rarely produced a demo reel because he specialized in a very specific filed and everyone knew who he was so work just kept coming to him. “On one occasion I did put together a compilation of a few spots and sent them to a major agency that handled announcers, with an eye on breaking into the Madison Avenue commercial field. The tape was returned by the head of the agency, along with a brief note advising me to forget it – I’d never have a career in voice-over. Luckily, I was to busy working in voice-over to take his advice.” One of the message is to ignore those voices that tell you that you can’t do it. I like both Joan’s book and Harlan Hogan’s for the day-today VO stories. Don't be afraid to read it just may open your mind to new ideas.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that comes across from the majority of postings is the vibe that the person posting and fellow board members are all children of a lesser God. We must be mustn't we? We post HERE for goodness sake, how sad is that? If we were proper actual pro voice overs, actually voice overing pro actual proper voice jobs or teaching the underclass to be great voice artists or writing a book about it we'd be far too busy to post...HERE.

The best book on voice overs is evolving here, the best coaches are you. "Don La Fontaine (singalong now) In your awesome splendour, we say to thee our love will never part. Oh saviour mine herewith we cry, with humble hearts HOW GREAT THOU ART". Brothers and sister go into your booths, sing it loud and proud, get it out of your systems once and for all. When you've finished, reflect on this. He like a lot of others is just another voice over with more money than you. OK, I've killed God. What now?

Step forward Greg, Deirdre, Frank, Anthony, Katrina, Mary, Dan, Bailey, Peter, Drew, Anita and YOU. I believe you're great, have things to teach and are overdue success beyond your wildest dreams. Of course you need someone worth looking up to. Don't panic, you'll find them every time you look in the bathroom mirror.

Here's to the season of goodwill my friends and to a wonderful 2006 and beyond.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm stepping forward. Who'd you kill, Phil? Don, Harlan? I understand where you're coming from. A book can't make you better at anything. Only YOU and make you better. BTW, thanks for the compliment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
Quote:
"The 80/20 Principal."
Originally known as the Pareto Principle. I just did a narration on the subject. (I guess some of that stuff we read does stick.) Smile

That's correct - the book though builds on the Pareto principal (or rather, it expands it) by using case studies and making it more "tangible" (if you will) so that you can apply it to small business versus how they use it in big corporations.

Banksey wrote:
...Of course you need someone worth looking up to. Don't panic, you'll find them every time you look in the bathroom mirror.

Why... thank you, sir!
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put in a request for Koch's book at the library. Anybody else read any good books - outside of the voiceover books - that might be helpful on the business side - especially marketing?
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
One thing that comes across from the majority of postings is the vibe that the person posting and fellow board members are all children of a lesser God. We must be mustn't we? We post HERE for goodness sake, how sad is that? ...
The best book on voice overs is evolving here, the best coaches are you. ...Of course you need someone worth looking up to. Don't panic, you'll find them every time you look in the bathroom mirror.

Well I agree with the sentiment of his Lordship :wink: but not the overall message which, when taken in conjunction with his other posts basically indicates that there is little or no value contained in these VO books.

That simply isn't true. It’s only mostly true and that is dependent on your skill set and VO experiences. If the stuff written in these books is one epiphany after another...you’re young in the biz and have a lot to learn. That's NOT a bad thing...books are there to help you learn.

For the more experienced, these books are unlikely to uncover a lot of new stuff...but you might want to read them anyway...stop by the library or visit Barnes and Noble, grab a book and a hot chocolate and page away (but please put the book back where you found it :lol: )

Then after you're done with the voice over books, check out some acting books...not necessarily how to's always, but maybe an actors biography or an anthology. Then some other topic.

The point is there is ALWAYS something for us to learn from on our direct topic of interest and those topics "aligned" with ours.

It is equally true that we are our own best resources for information, talent, ability and just a bit of moxie. This reminder of our own value is always prized and should be well heeded.

But to be utterly dismissive of either the "depths" or the "nuggets" of information contained in these books or others I believe is short sighted in what I believe should be the on-going quest for knowledge, insight and perspective in all phases of our lives.

But that's just one person's opinion, do whatever works and reading all this I've just written...I'm starting to bore myself...its got to be worse for you if you've gotten THIS far so I'll stop.

Merry Christmas; God bless Isabella and all of us everywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if someone ever shoots an arrow at you Peter you'll survive as you're guaranteed to miss the point. Laugh
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a voiceover coach (as a sideline with a handful of clients each year), and I've had a number of students/clients go on to reasonable success for the market we're in. I've also happily hired quite a few of them for various commercial and narration projects.

Of course I may be cheating a bit. I'm counting the people who actually end up with a demo. I turn away two-thirds of the people who come to me for consultation. They just don't have the drive or the ability to listen, take and use direction. I also drop about half of my clients after two or three sessions when I see they just can't loosen up and let their creativity flow. I can teach them basic acting skills, but I'm awfully expensive compared to most theater classes, and I can't bear to rip them off. I also have a reputation in the local ad community, and if someone uses me as a credential to get work and then flounders in the studio....oww.

I think there are some good VO coaches among the so-so and the bad. You have to check them out. By the way I think learning VO from a book is a bit like learning golf from a book. Interesting, but it don't do a thing for that actual swing.

Bruce
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The best book on voice overs is evolving here, the best coaches are you.

Step forward Greg, Deirdre, Frank, Anthony, Katrina, Mary, Dan, Bailey, Peter, Drew, Anita and YOU. I believe you're great, have things to teach and are overdue success beyond your wildest dreams. Of course you need someone worth looking up to. Don't panic, you'll find them every time you look in the bathroom mirror.

Banksey,

You hit the nail on the head and predicted the future on VO in one post.

Never before has there been a resource for VO than DeiRdre's VO-BB.com. It truly has a collective group of succesful voice artists contributing each day. I have yet to read a post titled "I Have Been Told I Have a Great Voice" or "How Do I Get Started in VO." Instead we focus on the true grit of the business: Union vs non, Health benefits, Improving our skills, Client relations, Marketing, Christmas lights, etc...

You, and many others on this board, have inspired me, put things in perspective, and keep reminding me to forget what Mr. LaFontaine is doing and focus on my own career.

Dude, you rock.

And so does DeiRdre!

Dan
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
Step forward Greg, Deirdre, Frank, Anthony, Katrina, Mary, Dan, Bailey, Peter, Drew, Anita and YOU. I believe you're great, have things to teach and are overdue success beyond your wildest dreams.

Although I consider it an honor to post on this BB, I would hardly use my name and the word success in the same sentence. In fact, I am puzzled by the phrase "Secrets of Voice-Over Success".
What determines success? Success by my standards would pale in comparison to Phil's. If I were to get a VO job every 30 days, I'd be shouting from the rooftops! Is VO success measured in monetary values? If so, then I'm still on roller skates and Frank is driving a Bentley. I may sound intelligent, but it's not the kind that you gain from VO experience. Sometimes I just use common sense in my deductions. I don't plan on ever dropping my VO quest. Maybe that is what I consider "success" to me... the pursuit... or at least being included in the race. Confused
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A goal (success?) is a journey not a destination.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A goal (success?) is a journey not a destination.

A goal is a destination. You’re reaching to achieve it. A really good motivational book I once read called "Do It" set the standard for me by separating the meanings of "dreams" and "goals." If it is your dream to be an actor, by participating in your community theater you have achieved your dream. If your goal is to be a movie star, pack your bags and move to Hollywood, get an agent, give up any normal life you had before and work your butt off.

We all have different levels of success, happiness or as I like to call it, contentment. Once you achieve your goals, are you content? Do you want more or less for yourself?

Deep stuff for a lunchtime post.

Remember, happiness is not a destination, but a mode of transportation.
Neil Peart - The Masked Rider (But, he probably ripped it off, too)
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the Bently! Laugh

Reality is simple. For those who can remember these words from "The Desiderata" (by Max Ehrmann, circa. 1922; vocally done by Les Crane in 1968), it states:

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.

But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself

There is more, but this gets my point across. There is a new world out there everyday, it's your duty to explore it. Do not compare yourself to me or Banksey or D.B., or Greg, Anthony, Katrina, Mary, Dan, Bailey, Peter, Drew, Anita, Dave, or even Don LaFontaine. Be yourself and judge your success by your own standards, not those of others.

Peace, and long life be with you.

Oh, I drive a Honda and a Hummer... a Lamborguini Countach would be nice though...

Frank F
nick reed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive an Element, which is basically a Honda Hummer.

I have nothing more intelligent to offer here... sorry.

Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: