VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Listening
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmgood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Interesting Listening Reply with quote

This may be old news to everyone here, but there is an MP3 of the Jim Bohannon show that features Joe Cipriano and Don LaFontaine helping to promote Joan Baker's book "Secrets of Voice-Over Success". The file includes them chatting during the commercial breaks as well as what went on air. I found it on Joe Cipriano's web site http://www.joecipriano.com/
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hadn't heard it, so thanks for the post.

-Anthony
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file is 70.9MBs, even with broadband there is a wait time to download. Has anyone read the book "Secrets of Voice-over Succes?"
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
The file is 70.9MBs, even with broadband there is a wait time to download. Has anyone read the book "Secrets of Voice-over Succes?"

No, was it written by someone who is failing to make a success of being a voice over? They usually are.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read the book, but the author, Joan Baker, is QUITE successful. Glad to hear Joe Cipriano was included in the mix, usually you only hear about L.A.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
No, was it written by someone who is failing to make a success of being a voice over? They usually are.

THAT'S NOT TRUE!!!

I wrote a book on how to become a millionaire and....well, it'll happen someday, you just wait!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:

Banksey, you old curmudgeon. You're like the guy who says "Those who can't DO--Teach."

I like both.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Banksey wrote:

Banksey, you old curmudgeon. You're like the guy who says "Those who can't DO--Teach."

I like both.

...or was it "Those who cannot Speak--Write."
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
scooter2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: interesting listening! Reply with quote

Oh Mr. Banks,

Have you not heard of the likes of one Harlan Hogan who makes more than just a buck or two voiceing and has written TWO fine v-o books, or even Gary Owens of Laugh in Fame who can still be heard on many national accounts?

Be cheery this cheery season.

scott
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

I downloaded that one and burned to a cd for on-the-road listening!

Thanks for the link DM!
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read the book but I'd like to. I read VO books just for entertainment and, in some cases, inspiration. I NEVER read VO books for a how-to on entering the business.

I've noticed that most books on entering the VO business are very anecdotal; Bottom line is there is no guideline - everyone's story is different and to try to follow someone else's path is a waste of time.

You can however take tidbits of info that you may (or may not) be able to apply to your own career. The most helpful book in my career has been the "80/20 Principal" by Richard Koch. Maybe I'll write a book on how not to enter the VO industry... seriously.

-Anthony
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: I read the book Reply with quote

It is actually quite well written. The majority of the chapters were written by quite successful VO's including Don LaFontaine and Dave Fanoy. Many others contributed to it as well. Joan Baker's relative died of Alzheimer’s and the book benefits the charity. The book is definitely worth it and it is for a good cause too.

Greg
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I are a published righter, neerly.

Broadcasting - Breaking Down the Barriers by Nick Baker. I wrote the foreword and got a credit.

Nick interviewed the cream of British television and asked them to explain how they did it.

That quotation is...........

"Those who can, do
Those who can't, teach
Those who can't even teach go into politics"

On a serious note. Is anyone here able to report how a voice over coach helped to turn their career around or how a particular book made a specific difference?

One of the advantages of not knowing who's who (it's a Portgordon thing) is that I take things at face value.

"Hi I'm Bob Ass, I've done VO for 23 years and have been on nationals, read my book".

"Hi, I'm Nora Bone. Weather Presenter for W-Atch. I teach voice in classes at....."

The buyers response should be to ask which TV or radio station do they tune to now to hear someone who has benefited from the coach or writers wisdom.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
On a serious note. Is anyone here able to report how a voice over coach helped to turn their career around or how a particular book made a specific difference?

Pat Fraley's tape set : Creating Character Voices for Fun and Profit was the biggie for me. After listening I was able to really sharpen up my small cast of characters and catalog them in such a way that I can call upon them at any time.

That was the first Pat Fraley book/tape I used. I like all the teaching stuff he produces.

Do I use my characters often? No, they're rarely called for with my current professional situations, but I keep 'em sharp with things like
Doctor Shroud or podcast-type radio dramas. When the chances do arise, I've got my cast in my pocket-- all the time.

As far as my own style is concerned: relentless practice and occasional calls for feedback. Those are my techniques.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:

One of the advantages of not knowing who's who (it's a Portgordon thing) is that I take things at face value.

I don't blame you, Banksey.
I can tell you though that one of my VO coaches was responsible for a referall to an A-list agency which I now freelance with. Also, she got me a 3-radio spot campaign for the New York City Department of Health through a personal manager contact of hers.

As far as VO books - NO. None have helped me directly although I do draw inspiration from some of what I've read. Again, the only book that has helped me turn around my career (and get me into VO's 100%) was "The 80/20 Principal."

Sometimes it's good to be geographically isolated though - you might tend to have a much more unbiased opinion.

-Anthony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: