VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New twisted radio script for client? Your opinions please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am soooooooooo HAPPY!
The snow flakes are back! YEEEEEE HAWWWWW!
Thank you DB! Now my screen matches my view outside!
You're a such a sweetie, here's a hug ( Laugh )

OK, back to topic:

Concerning the call to action. This spot is different then what I usually write. Creating copy for the entertainment media is a good bit different then writing for print.
1. You see and or hear the performance of the piece.
2. You are working within a set time frame.
3. You must give the client what they want. It is exceedingly difficult to write copy that dazzles when you are limited to producing a mere glow.

I learned quite a bit ago that my clients come to me for one thing. Copy, period. The return clients use my services because:
1. We have a history now and they trust me.
2. I have reasonable rates and will work with their IT people.
3. My negotiating skills in creating copy that contains some form of a call to action. (You wouldn't believe the business owners/final decision makers who struggle with asking for a sale.)

So, getting back to the BAS spot: This is all I can squeeze out of my client.

He wanted some shocking humor (done deal from the response recieved here.)
He wanted to let them know "I can come by and evaluate their home for free." (that's in there also)
He also wanted to get a bit more business before the Holidays however, he didn't want to ASK for it. (ergo the, home's repair before Holiday entertaining time arrives.)

When it comes to writing scripts, I write to please the client and for the end user. YOU!
I read every script aloud with every revision. The words need to flow and be fairly easy to pronounce within the given time frame. Shorter sentences give you a chance to breathe. Regardless of the limitations place on me, I do my best to create a product the next person can easily use. A delicious bonus to this for me personally: In the event I also do the VO, I can tweak my own copy! :idea:

Ahhhh....I LOVE my job. Laugh

Incidently, all opinions given are very appreciated. In no way have I been offended by comments made about this script. I brought it here specifically for your feedback. I value your opinions and your years of experience. Everyone here, regardless of their background, plays well in the sandbox with others.

Thanks for helping with my sandcastle. Laugh

Anybody else want to join in?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB. Was referring to the ending a sentence with a preposition. Perhaps you should've read the rest of my post. No need to defend yourself especially when you're not under attack.

Opening line should have been seen in the context of the other text it was with.(Damn!)
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, I'm missing something here. I started my post, went to the kitchen, filled my coffee cup and returned to finsh my post. :shock:

Banksey, if you are referring to my latest posting that has nothing to do with any comments made by you or DB. I was merely addressing some recurring questions made by others who posted and offering a bit more information.

Maybe I need to refresh my screen more often. :wink:
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Banksey wrote:
Tsk, where did that come from?

Anita offered a look at her script for feedback, not to be used as a pinata. I want it to be clear that we're having fun with each other, and not at Anita's expense.

I have to read reams of shit every day, Phil. As I have always said and will continue to say: most "writers" are trying to pack 40 seconds of dreck into a 30-second sack. Some of the stuff is written in prose that would choke a hippo. I am relieved and delighted when I get scripts that are actually fluent.
This spot was easy to read. Anita doesn't need me to throw her a bone, I merely want to give credit where credit is due.

Anita, I was responding to this. Now it's even more out of context, doesn't mention Ruben the juggling goat.

Oh no, now I've got one of my headaches again.!
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drat! I missed Rueben the juggling goat! :shock:
I need to move that coffee pot upstairs... :wink:
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now it's even more out of context, doesn't mention Ruben the juggling goat.

WHY IS IT that when ever VO's get together the conversation turns to talk about goats!! Can't a guy make ONE mistake in his life when....

oh...you...weren't...talking about me, were you?

never mind. (where's the damn delete key...delete, delete DELETE!!!!!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in the entertainment biz. By now you should know, Peter, one day you're the hero, the next the goat. Ain't it grand?

BTW, Anita, the copy has much potential in terms of how I'd pull it together when I'm wearin' my producin' hat. It's just a ball cap that says SKOAL. Reminds me that we're challenged daily to "spit it out."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
Opening line should have been seen in the context of the other text it was with.(Damn!)

Phil.
Learn to use "quote" mechanism.
Wasn't defending, merely explaining.

Tea?
D
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good reads...I love CC's In-Yer-Face Big Ol' Bubba twist, I bet that'd go over well in the audience it's written for. However, I think my vote goes to Dierdre's Fussy Little Biddy...it reminds me a lot of Edie McClurg and that woman's made me laugh in just about everything she's done.

I think that copy would go over just fine at a country station here in St. Louis. Radio humor that toes the appropriateness line (or even stomps all over it) is sort of a staple here. StL is an urban island surrounded by a sea of farm country, so Blue Collar Comedy type humor is popular.

Awriiigghht...Scott's snowy creek scene is back...that and the snowflakes are such a serene combination...

PJ
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my client has been told that 4 professional VO artists would like a shot at voicing his commercial. He's excited (who wouldn't be?) that you are so keenly interested in his "little commercial." Now we get down to the decison making process.

Before it goes before the client, is there anyone else who wants to take a shot with this script? If so, you can either post it here or send it by PM. I'll burn them to a CD Monday am and then it's up to my client decide.

I already have MY favorite of the 4 submitted and...

I'm NOT TELLING! :wink:
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - if he needs it in Spanish let me know :wink:

-Anthony
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: my audition Reply with quote

Anita,

Here's my rendetion of your script in my TRUE southern stylings.
Voice only...no bed.

http://www.voiceoverallen.com/bashome1.mp3

It was great fun! Thanks for the opportunity!
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Twisted Script Update! Reply with quote

All the submissions are on a CD and the client now has the joy of choosing from 12 very funny and equally different demos! I actually kept a copy for my own twisted listening pleasure! :wink:

I'm sure I'll be told who is chosen and payment arrangements will be made. Then I'll let you know what station it will be aired on. I'm just glad I don't have to choose who gets the gig!

I want to personally thank each of you for stepping up and giving this a shot. My client thinks that I am very well connected in the industry because he had so many great voices to choose from. He has no idea that I am fairly new to this board and my relationships with you are based in cyberspace. I didn't tell him any differently. Who knows, there may come a time when I get the pleasure of sharing studio time with you in person!

Now, I have to live up to all this great rep. I've been gifted with! You guys are the BEST! Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: