VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joined the Rat Race...Request for Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBeen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Joined the Rat Race...Request for Help Reply with quote

OK, so I finally shelled out the money and joined IV. I know it's a huge cattle call and chances of getting work are slim. I look at it as an opportunity to practice my craft and possibly develop good business skills. Here's where I need help. I have no idea whatsoever how to write an effective proposal. I have heard that a good proposal is half the battle. Is anyone willing to share a generic copy of the proposal they usually submit( I would rewrite with my own words), or offer some detailed tips on how to write a kick-butt proposal and what to include?

Thanks in advance

Bud
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud,

There are different types of proposals for different types of things... what is your target? Who is your receipient? What is your goal, how many spots, or anrrations, what is your asking price, what is your turnaround time, what is _______ ....? (Please fill in the blank area)

That said, there is not really a generic "form" for porposals. Are you targeting a specific market or client for work? If so, then write a letter to them indicating what you can do, and how much you charge and why YOU are the right choice for the "postion".

Good luck,

Frank F
BBeen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the proposals I would be writing would go to clients on IV, Guru, or other unspecified as I find them.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah-- like Frank said....

Proposal for what?

I never had to "write a proposal" when I was among the ranks at V123. Does IV need "a proposal" up front? Some kind of generic thing?
BBeen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best way to say this....

When a potential client posts a job, I would like to post some sort of intelligent dribble along with my demo that recaps the project, states my rates for the job, why I am the best person for the job, time completion, and delivery method, along with contact info.

OK looks like I answered my own question...did I leave anything out?
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud:

You sound almost sheepish about having joined up w/IV so first things first:

there's plenty to be picked on with V123 or IV but you get out of it what you put into it. If you're worried about whether you'll make your money back...don't...assume its gone and if you make it back great...I have on V123 and haven't gotten anything on IV...but the value for me is the web positioning I get with them. More than ever before for VO's...web is everything (but not the only thing).

So tell your accountant its an advertising expense and then jump in with both feet.

Now on the proposal front...for these services you don't need one. All people want are a demo (sometimes customized) and a dollar (amount).

If they want you once you've submitted, they'll find you.

I do have a proposal template that I have used (approved by a lawyer) and you should have one made too...by a lawyer. Its one page in a "donut" format so I can customize.

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with too much written verbiage. Let the demo speak for itself and negotiate from there if you can.

You can have a set base rate of $N for 30-second spots, $D for :60's.
$Y per page for liners. $T per finished minute for audio books or long form narration.
BBeen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, lately I've been writing myself in the corner trying to impress with my rhetoric instead of my voice. It's repeated over and over again here on the board K-I-S-S keep it simple stupid.

From now on they get my best effort at the script offered, and the basics of my rate and contact info.

I don't have high expectations from IV, I do have high expectations of myself for improvement over time...the money is trivial...the experience is not.

Happy Holidays all.......

MERRY CHRISTMAS (I'm not afraid to say it!!!)
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the proposal layout on offer at IV?

Personally, I never use it, but it is there on the IV pages.

I just send the demo, tell them how I work, (how they get their files delivered, how I accept payment) , where to find more info and references about me beyond what is on my IV profile, and how to contact me if they have questions.
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. I let the demo speak for itself, and then let them know how to reach me. IV seems to put more emphasis on a proposal than V123 does. I have a generic Word document that I copy & paste to save time at V123. I keep thinking I should make a generic proposal following the guidelines at IV, but haven't done it yet. Maybe when things slow down........

http://www.kitziestern.com/
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the others said, Bud. It ain't the proposal that get's you the job. It's the demo and the price. A quick line saying thanks for listening; maybe a mention about having a quality studio and most important how they can reach you directly without getting bogged down in their systems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Drew said.

As someone who has posted a number of auditions at V123 and listened to and read through many hundreds of responses, KISS is the phrase that pays. I literally listen to the first 3 to 10 seconds of 75% of the demos and move on. If they're not right for the job, why stick around? Then if they're appropriate enough to listen to the whole audition, then I'll read what they've written. And you won't believe the epic tales that some people will write...makes me think some of them are wackos or anal retentives and that working with them will be a challenge.

You should write with the assumption that you are both experienced business people and you know why you're here on the website together. Answer what they've asked for and give them only what they need to know beyond that and you'll look like a pro.

Bruce
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce - what is KISS please?
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not Bruce but....

Keep It Simple Stupid... or the more polite Keep It Short & Sweet along with a bunch of others, but I'm sure you get the idea.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KISS...

I've always liked:

Kangaroos Initiate Serious Shenanigans or

Klingons Immolate Subwarp Starships

but I think Brian has it on the nose.

I'd better sign off before I get us into a SNAFU, and we all know what THAT means!

Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: