VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When scripts turn evil.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: When scripts turn evil. Reply with quote

We all bitch about poor scripts, but the next time you get the urge just be thankful that you didn't get this little gem in your email ready for a gig tomorrow.

.....This technology changes diagnostics as easy checking device mechanism from device to maintenance people. However, superimpose communication as like as HART has limited performance for communication performance, because it is still 4-20mA signal not full digital communication. In 2000s, full digital communication is realized, as Foundation Fieldbus provide process automation for usage of full performance for control and diagnostics as well. In digital era, diagnostics performance increase to provide more useful, not only device itself, but also process interface as like as impulse line plugging detection, online valve sticer.........

And so on...and on.

Luckily this is not my gig. But I wish I were in the studio tomorrow to see it.

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, that would be funny if it weren't so sad. :lol:
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like one I'm working on today for a chemical company. They send; I record; they re-write; I record again; and so it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not part of our responsibility - particularly when it is obvious that something has been poorly translated - to suggest that since the product is for an English speaking audience, perhaps it will be better received with a bit of script doctoring?

If that script arrived in my inbox, I would not think twice about suggesting that it could be improved. But I have a background as a scriptwriter, so perhaps this is easier for me to do than for others.

There are times when I bite my lip and simply read it the way it was "writ", but this needs some TLC in order to make it comprehensible.

[Script doctoring services "r" us. Reasonable rates. Wink ]

Regards,
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know, Connie, much depends on the client. Some see my 20 years in the news biz as a blessing and lean on me to pull their fat from the fire when it comes to writing for the ear. Others have made it clear that my suggestions, though appreciated, are not required. Still, I'm usually the first to say, "Excuse me, but maybe it would sound better if we..."

The client, for whom I'm doing drops and pick-ups today, asks that I not offer suggestions, just me pipes. Okeedokey. I just want get this one out of the hard drive and invoiced. We've been "playing" with this for nearly three weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just finishing up a project that involves Plasma-enhanced metalurgical processes.

I was called in as script writer-- to take the "science" and make it "understandable". It was not easy , but I was dealing with Americans on the science side.
How they love their jargon.

With translations, it needs a lot of hammer-and anvil to make the English sound right sometimes.

bash, bash, bash.

fixed a bloody typo

Last edited by Deirdre on Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, nothing is more difficult than translating from 'English' into English, I always say. And I've done a lot of that in my time. I think it's easier to translate from the original language.That way you have a better idea of what they are trying to convey.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have created a lot of VO for Medical and Military projects; take the above script, add bunches of l-o-n-g words, and tons of acrynoms and you have a typcial script from a 1st LT fresh out of "film" school (six weeks to teach everything from how to use the camera, lighting, scriptwriting, audio, editing, post production, and more...).

Then they wonder why I would like to see the script a couple of days in advance of the session???!!!???

I just make simple suggestions like: "Would you read this for me so I can hear how it is intended to sound"? Once or twice of that comment and they usually get the idea the script is poorly written.

Then again, I am just a low paid VO guy.... put a script in front of me and I'll read it.

I just love doing scripts that have mis-spelled words also... isn't that fun?

Frank F
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I charge by the hour for long format scripts. If it takes me longer to read (and edit) because I have to re-write it first, it just means a bigger invoice. Thankfully the client usually apologizes for the way it's written beforehand, so they aren't too surprised when they get the bill. Smile
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great posts and subject. Shout out to Mike! I truly appreciate my clients that deliver great scripts. There are so many levels of expertise. Grammar seems to be top of the list of headaches for me. I usually just read their line and then the correct way following and let them pick which one.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get quite a bit of interesting grammar in the Middle Eastern work I get, but the agent for those jobs says they are very proud of their English and don't want a word changed. It's a bit of a challenge giving a confident read to bass ackward sentences, but the customer is always right, no matter how wrong they may be.

Bruce
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are preaching to the choir here! As long as clients send scripts that need to be rewritten, I'll never lack for copywriting jobs!

About the English to English to translation...

I recently rewrote site content for a Chinese owned company based in Texas. They asked that I revamp the copy so it sounded like English. I sent them back a draft and they returned it with "Sorry, we no need English. Write copy American please."

Noooo problem! I can write American.

Maybe I should add that to my list of skills... :wink:
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can imagine that darn Shakespearean English... it'll getcha every time in Texas! :wink:
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianforrester wrote:
Yeah, I can imagine that darn Shakespearean English... it'll getcha every time in Texas! :wink:

"Is it thah weeyull thahn image should kape open
Mah heavy ah-leeyids to th' wear' naht?
Dust thao desahr mah slumber should be browken
Whahl shadaows lahk t' thay do mahk mah saht?..."

Hmm...wonder what my grade would have been if I'd have taken that interpretation?

PJ
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I read Shakespearean sonnets, I hear a voice right out of Dallas in MY mind, don't you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: