VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Watermark Auditions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susanna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Watermark Auditions Reply with quote

Hello Everyone, glad to find you here. I wanted to know how many of you water mark your auditions. I want to do this especially for auditions outside the channels of a talent agency. I use Adobe Audition and know this would be simple to do with this software. So any information or instruction you can provide is appreciated.

Happy Turkey Day!

Susanna
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one way to watemark an audition, and that's to lay some bits of music under it. Enough to make it unusable, but not so much to make it annoying (I hope):

http://www.brucemiles.com/photo_files/Bruce%20Miles%20-%20Pizzaria%20Venti.mp3

Bruce
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a lover of watermarking auditions but then I will only do an audition at gunpoint any way.

I think it's about trust and the signals you give out to potential employers. If you must watermark, low level music is the best idea.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to watermark auditions (especially on V123 etal....you know...Banks' FAVORITE source for jobs, the man is ADDICTED, I tell you).

Anyway, being a lazy American, I decided from now on to only do about 30 secs of the audition and change some key words (like where it says turbine engine I'd say something like puppy dog) which would make it realitively unuseable for the client and prove to them I have a reading disability :shock: ...clients LOVE that in a voice talent.

Anyway that is how I handle watermarks now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Doc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generate some "pink" noise with Audition - just enough to make the voiceover unuseable.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watermark auditions, as from my point of view it sends out a starting message of mistrust. Not that I DO trust unconditionally.... I do not do the whole script, just partial.
Doc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - really, now...

When it comes to mistrust/distrust, which method really makes a difference?

Audio watermarking, fudging the copy, or submitting a partial custom demo?

Let's all think about this a minute. Doesn't each of these methods achieve the same result? And, if so, then it's all in the perception of the client/producer, is it not?

I say use whatever suits your business style best. And, if NONE of these suit your style, hell - go ahead and submit a complete and clean custom demo.

Oh yeah - Happy Thanksgiving to those of us who celebrate this holiday. And, to all others, please have a nice weekend!
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes doc, I agree, that's why I said "From my point of view"... Smile
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding that when I submit a demo to anyone other than my agent... I simply reduce the audio quality to 64kbps... the average person won't notice the difference in quality, however an engineer would be slightly uncomfortable about using it in production.

My goal is to simply cause them to pause and think before they use it. That extra pause will hopefully push them to pay me, but probably not.

I'd rather not botch a line or have birds singing in the background... in my opinion it leads the client to think that a) I obviously can't read a script, or b) I don't trust them... neither good thoughts to have going through a producer's mind, as far as I'm concerned.

I feel that there comes a point where paranioa can get the better of you! I feel that watermarking tells the potential client that you inherently don't believe that they have integrity... I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't pick someone who I felt didn't trust me, chances are they'd be a huge pain in the a$$ later on down the road.

I've kinda come to the conclusion that submitting demos via the internet without watermarks is a mitigated risk that I'm willing to take... if I get burned a couple of times, yeah I'll be p.o.'d, but I don't expect it to be a ocmmon occurence, I truly believe that the world is fully of basically good people.

Now... get back to me after I've been burned more than the 1 time I already have, and my tone may be a bit different, but that's where I stand as of November 24, 2005 (Thanksgiving in the US and Thursday to the rest of the world!) :wink:

:wink: Cheers,
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not believe in "watermarking". I simply take care of the trust oriented issues before hand.. "you send me money - I send you the file"... it works. If I have ANY question, regarding the client... I ask the question.

If I am not satisfied with their answer, I tell them "my accountant" (always blame this requirement on someone else) requires payment at the time of the session as you are a new client. I can accept credit cards, cash, gold, platinum... no checks.

Being honest and forthright is a good thing these days... plus having an attitude (lately) doesn't hurt. :lol:

Frank F
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Frank, too. (And Anthony in another post somewhere) I have found it really helpful to be more inquisitive with the client right at the outset.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's more important to look at the quality of the jobs for which you are asked to audition. Should it be necessary to audition for a $250-$300 job? I think not. Who on earth is willing to waste the man hours trawling through audio for a job of that nature? If they honestly think the right voice is that important then the importance should be reflected in the fee.

The last 2 auditions I did were because the agency creatives and the client needed to pick one voice from a short list of 3. For a 1 in 3 chance of being the voice on a national tv/radio/cinema commercial I'll make an effort, it would be foolish not to.

I get asked to audition by one voice over agency in the USA for anything and everything, I have yet to get a single job from them.

I am certainly not suggesting adopting a "do you realise how important I think I am " attitude, just suggesting valuing your time. Set up a marketing account and every time you do an audition charge your time to it, see how quickly you run up a debt.

Some will say that auditions are good practise, true. But if you are selling yourself as a professional voice over you shouldn't need the practise.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
But if you are selling yourself as a professional voice over you shouldn't need the practise.

Selling yourself as a professional doesn't mean that you still can't improve upon your "style" or your "delivery." I get hired to do the same sort of thing so much that I WANT to auition for the unusual script just to do something different.

It is different these days - used to be that Production Companies and Ad Agencies HAD to use Talent Agents to find the good talent. And they relied on the agent to pre-select. And most of the time, the job came after simply listening to either the House Demo or the talent's individual demo. Actual auditions for things were for the major work - after the pre-selection was done off the demos.

Although I do remember an audition a whole lot of years ago for a local market - single weekend radio spot - that featured 2 "reporters" and a "man on the street" voice. The producer had an "audition" for this job. Any one of the 40 or so people who were told to be there for the audition could have done any of the roles. It was such a cluster...

But technology has changed and for most talent - who either are not well known with lots of word-of-mouth referrals or connected in a major market with lots of word - or who do not have such a wonderful unique sound or "style" (Banksey) - the "custom" audition route is the only route these days.

So we do it - picking and chosing, of course - balancing marketing with auditioning with actual recording and, of course, reading this darn message board... Confused

(The turkey just went in to heat up, so I took a moment to check my email.)
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil...

While the comments and intent are completely understood... let's be realistic about the different stages individuals are at in their careers.

When it comes to doing spots for local agencies and studios, no I don't usually have to audition... ANYMORE! But when I first started, you better believe I had to audition, and yes for jobs that were under $200. It has been my experience that until a producer has a level of comfort with your abilities and how you take direction, they're not going to risk a job on a sub-standard talent, therefore they figure that out in an audition, not at the session when the client is sitting right behind them on the couch!

It's great that I don't have to audition in my local market, but in order for me to build the same relationships and trust with producers in other parts of the world... I have to lay that groundwork through marketing and auditions.

Conversation...

Casting Director "Hey Brian... we have a small 30-second radio spot that we'd like you to audition for... I'll fire over the script and can you get it back to me by tomorrow at noon?"

Brian "Ahhh... what's the rate?"

CD "It's not a big one, $150 for a local."

Brian "Well, acutally I don't audition for gigs under $300, but if you'd like to cast me sight unseen then I'm in!"

CD "See ya!"

Door closed and I'll never get another call from that person! Yeah there'll be others, but when you're starting out there are heck of lot more lowish paying jobs that you'll land and cut your chops with, than there are high paying jobs that you'll be considered for!

It's foolish to think that you can expect to build a client base without auditioning for and winning small time spots! That's where, I dare to say, and correct me if I'm wrong, most v/o talent get their start!

Start with big goals, market, market, market, audition, win the odd gig... get repeat clients, build your resume and experience, then eventually over time your reputation dictates that you are sought out and rarely required to audition, but if you try to skip the audition part... chances are you're going to stall and be eating Mac and Cheese for the rest of your life!

I hate to be overly critical, however I also want to make sure that the newbies on the board don't have an expectation that they can make it in the business by marketing and good chops alone! You have to play the game and be willing to make some concessions in order to build a reputation... once you have a good reputation then sure, clients will come to you and you will audition less than in the beginning, but until that time... it's a necessity so you better be darn comfortable with it and able to take rejection in stride!

A bit of a rant, but my thoughts none the less!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse point blank to audition for my local market, mainly because there isn't one Laugh

Don't see any rants here. People need to see all sides in order to help them get a balanced view.

My comments were intended to float ideas for debate. As for practise, that's not the same as trying something different, there are things that come along that are worth doing for the exercise. My point was that some voices use auditioning for anything as an excuse ...oh well it's marketing, it's practise, it's networking, it's killing time when I have no work. The reason for my marketing account suggestion was to test the theory. If it is really worth it you will see a return on your investment. The reason most people won't test their marketing, audition to job ratio is not because they know that the market has changed it's usually because they would rather not know. From a business point of view, I really do like to know if I'm wasting my time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: