VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question: What's your style?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Question: What's your style? Reply with quote

Q: What's your voice over style?

A: Uhhh, hummmmm...audible?

Seriously folks, I'm wondering how you discovered your personal VO style? I'm getting asked this question and figured I shoot it to you guys on the board.

Is finding your style of work something you specifically craft? Did you find your niche by the comments made by others in the industry? I'm finding that I like narrations however, I'm told I do great with commercial and voice acting pieces.

At this point, every job comming my way is just another way for me to hone my craft. Most everything looks interesting to me! This is kind of like going into Baskin Robbins and being asked my favorite flavor from a 53 flavor selection. How do you know which to choose when your past experience has been plain chocolate or vanilla?

I know that personal style is something that has to be molded over time and scuplted with experience but, what do you tell someone who asks "So, what's your voice over style?" when you are still pretty new in the VO industry? When did you get that AH HA! moment that you knew what your style was?
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My style is in a constant state of flux, unless no direction is given, in which case, I just sound like "me" as "regular guy" and natural sounding as much as I can muster. Basically, I've adopted many different styles to suit whatever the read calls for. In other words, my style for an industrial even changes within the format itself. An infommercial call to action will sound very different than a corporate training CD. Same with my promo and trailer reads. Several variations. Different textures. In fact, just today I had a scratch session in which the director pushed me in several different directions for a :30 TV spot for a scary movie coming out in February. All had to be scary and dark, but all had different textures, i.e. level of breathiness, depth, etc.

So in inclusion, my "style" is "whatever is commercially viable" at the time, within each segment of the VO realm I drift in and out of.

That said, each format of VO starts out with my signature read for that particular type, and can be adjusted from there. Finding one's "style" must be dictated by one's personal comfort level in that particular range.

I hope at least some of this makes sense. I shouldn't pontificate on an empty stomach like this. I'm hungry and dinner is almost ready.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most saleable style is kind of a scream when I think about it. I am a rock and roll drummer chick who dresses in black gothic attire covered with chains and straps. My most called-upon voice is the "Soft Rock" voice of God.

The up, light voice.
What the heck!

Last edited by Deirdre on Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still finding mine... changing all the time

I haven't got the "received pronunciation" of true British down, (having a Northern British accent) and that wins me some, loses me some.

It seems right now that it's actually working in my favor mostly, so we'll see where it goes.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anita,

Some folks say I'm "very smooth"...others refer to me as "the voice of god"...some say a top rate "announcer"...others tell me I have a very "reasurring" sound...as well as authoritative, goofy, friendly, warm...and the list goes on.

So which am I? All of the above...just usually not at the same time :wink:

I guess my point is... develop the ability to create the sound the client hears in their head... and when they tell you what your style is...repeat what they say Laugh
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Style? What style?... He's just Frank.

The copy dictates the style you will read at any given time. Each spot or narration or station imaging peice or P.O.P., has it's own "voice".

The question is not about what style you have or are stuck with, it's about what can you do with the copy you are given to read.

In the past few days I have had "styles" which range from 'the Voice of God' (no dis-respect intended), to sultry-sexy-sizzle, to NASCAR racing, to Easy-listening radio, to Rock-and-Roll radio, to Country radio, to Televison News, to Military Instruction, to Corporate Executive, and more...

Which "style" is me? The one that gets paid at the end of the session and laughs all the way to the bank.

How do you find your style? Look at the peice of copy in front of you... and "hear" what it is trying to convey to the intended audience. Then, ask yourself: what type of sound do you hear as you begin to say the words which are printed on the page? What "voice" do you hear saying the words? THAT is your style for the next little while, until you are finsihed. Shortly after (hopefully) another "style will present itself to your vocal expressions.

Have fun, don't get caught up with other peoples opinion of how YOU sound that moment. Being yourself is the only "style" you need.

Frank F[/b]
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beats the heck outta me, too. Been called upon to be everything from the Voice 'O God to da voice of Mickey Mouse. I'm whatever the guy/gal who's payin' the bill says I am.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good topic. In my case I have things I like doing more than others. But, like Frank says, my style depends on the copy and wishes of the client. I guess that's why we have demos that display our range. <g>

Last edited by billelder on Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all sound the same to me :wink:

I think the idea of having a "style" infers "what do you sound like?" The sound itself is not as important ACROSS the board as what our personalities are. Regardless of what type of copy we read, if we don't bring something of ourselves into it, then we might as well have a machine read it.

So your personality is much more important than your so-called "style."

-Anthony
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The voice that takes care of you". I didn't have any trouble identifying that as my "signature style" since so many people tell me my voice is soothing.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wouldn't that be more of the quality of your voice versus your style?
Maybe I'm too literal... perhaps your style is your delivery is soothing or your interpretation of words always come off as sincere and warm.
But having a soothing voice is, to me, a quality of your voice, not the style of your voice-over.

Either way - as much as they drill into you that it's not about your voice, it seems to be about the "voice" itself so many times.

Weird this business of ours. (Sounded like Yoda there for a second)
-Anthony
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonyVO wrote:
Weird this business of ours. (Sounded like Yoda there for a second)

Maybe it should be "Weird this business of ours is"

:wink:

Ya got me.

Yakety yak, go to the bank.

This is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time I feel that as VO actors, we need to develop an interpretation of the client’s request, and deliver what they want. HOWEVER... When you throw a word like style into the mix, I interpret style as a constant. That constant,being the same type of delivery, for every client. Because the client likes the style that he hears. It's a little like typecasting. Gabby Hayes was always cast as the same character. In VO, I would say that Tom Bodett and Jim Varney come to mind. I have only heard Tom doing Motel 6 commercials... same "style" all the time. Even his narrations are the same style. Jim used his style of "Hey Vern..." in almost every commercial he did. He kept the same style, and was able to mold the commercial around it.

I don't feel that I have a style at the present time. But as some would say... When a particular delivery style works... pays big... and puts you in demand... then you'll have your own personal style identified.

That's my 6 cents worth.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I just knew if I asked you guys this question, I'd get just the right answer! You have no idea how much I appreciate all of the information and insight I learn here.

Awesome...simply awesome Laugh

I guess style is just your personal stamp and flare on how you perform a job. Kind of like all snowflakes are different...every artist...every job...all just beautifully different snowflakes.

I have to admit that trying to answer this question made me tense and unsure of my abilities. I'm confident my skills will improve with each job however, my feelings of being a "newbie" after a 20 year absence from radio is still being proved. Now I can answer with confidence that my strengths are my flexibility to project the voice my client needs.

Thanks guys, here's a hug ( Laugh ) You rock!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My style was summed very nicely by a creative director for an ad agency.

"Philip, great to see you, we don't know what we want".

Tsk! How helpful was that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: