VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to break into VO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryansbeal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: How to break into VO Reply with quote

Hey everyone. As you know by now I'm a newbie both to the list and to VO. I have read many topics about voice123 and IV and none to good. I belong to both and now am starting to wonder myself. My questions follow below.

1. How to you start in this industry?

2. Who do you contact, what type of businesses?

3. Where and how do you network?

4. How do you follow-up with a client contact?

5. Anyone know a coach in my neck of the woods? (WSleep

Thanks
Ryan

Sorry If I've asked questions already answered. If so please direct me to the right spot.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get James Alburger's book The Art of Voice Acting.

That will give you a big push in the right direction.

You are asking questions most of us had to figure out for ourselves over time. LONG time.

How do you start?
Practice reading aloud every day. Into a tape recorder. Listen to it.
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert and all of us have different ways of presenting ourselves and methods of getting work.

From your Voice123 info I see that you've done "Local Radio broadcasts, Phone menus systems," and "a lot of public speaking experiance."

How about contacting some of the clients who enjoy your work in broadcasting? Since you've done public speaking perhaps an agent is familiar with your work?

I will add this. If there were one standard answer to getting work we'd all be in trouble. <g> I called a few local VO folks when I was considering this full time. As we say in the south, "Ain't nobody givin' up any secrets." LOL The best information I got was from a business friend who reminded me to treat VO's like any other business. You have to make more than you spend and you have to build a client base one at a time through satisfied customers. We are, after all, in a customer service business.

Best of luck to you!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By trawling through the pages in this section you will pick up some gems or pieces to the jigsaw; all you have to do is put them together.

If ever there was a time for thinking outside of the box it's now. You have to make a creative link with your market. Anything we suggest we've already done, by all means do that but also do something different ....Dare to be different.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Get James Alburger's book The Art of Voice Acting.

I can add another book... Word of Mouth by Susan Blu.

I'm not sure if VO is big enough in the woods where you live, that they would have any kind of local training. You may want to check out http://www.voiceacting.com/index.html
Jim Alburger and Penney (AOVA) have been talking about doing some training classes online.

In a NUTshell... I didn't realize I had vocal potential untill a friend in radio commented on my voice. He said I should run an audio clip by Joe Cipriano, and ask for a critique. Joe gave me a positive critique... recommended the Susan Blu book... and said I should seek out some local training. Then I went thru an AOVA 8 week class. In reality, I've only been in VO about 2 years. All of the training and books you read about VO cannot get you that first start... or job. I'm still not in a position to make VO my 2nd source of income (retired Federal Civil Service), but each month gets me closer.

Like I said before, you're at the best (VO-BB) place to find the answers to some of your questions, but like Mr. Cash said... "You've gotta walk that lonesome valley... noboby else can walk it for you... ". (what a sappy way to answer a posting.)

Welcome aboard.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beg, borrow, scrap, fight, market, and build a client base one at a time. There is no one size fits all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to break into VO, first, make sure nobody is home otherwise you might be heard.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't find a coach in your area, you can always try Edge Studios in NYC/CT who do telephone coaching. They are excellent.

When you have your training and demo, start looking for work in your own backyard. Shop the demo at the independent production houses and ad agencies in your town or region. Be persistent and polite. Once you start looking, you will find your own way. It takes time to build up a business but if you keep at it, you'll succeed.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend Alburger's book as well. Good balance of the business and techniques.

You're probably better off with over-the-phone training... unfortunately if there IS a coach in your area, they're probably not going to be top notch.

Be prepared for 5 years of trial and error... and be flexible - the business and what it demands changes, so you have to adapt as well.

Finally - the sound of your voice has very little (if anything) to do with being successful in this business... that may not have been true 10 years ago, but it is now.

-Anthony
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised nobody mentioned ear training. This is fundamental to the success you may or may not have as a new or age old voice artist. Listen to everything you can, pay friends to record television commercials, they're great training aids.
ryansbeal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestion.. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: