VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Standing Up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help, Marko.

With regard to hand gestures, I took some one on one VO workshops with Don Morrow a couple of years ago. For those who may not recognize the name, you would most certainly recognize his voice. Don was the Shell Answer Man (for those old enough to remember that campaign) and worked as a staff announcer for Walter Chronkite in the early '60's. In fact, he goes as far back as the Jackie Gleason Show. He even hosted his own game show for awhile. Don continues to have an incredible career well into his late 70's. More recently, he voiced the theatrical trailers for a few small films you may have heard of. TITANIC, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, GLADIATOR and THE PRINCE OF EGYPT. He's currently heard on TV spots for Nanny McPhee.

One of the first things he told me when he watched me read was "Take your hands out of your pockets. Use them while you read."

Having come info the VO world from radio, I had trained myself to be expressive without the use of my hands, because I needed them for pushing buttons, adjusting faders, answering phones and loading sound effect cartridges while I was talking. So it was tough for me to incorporate the hand gestures into my reads for awhile, which may sound ridiculous considering I'm half Italian!

It may seem counter-productive to some, but in VO, I've come to learn that using gestures is a good thing.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also the reason you don't see Don using a pay phone. (baddabump)

Thank you. Good night. Don't forget to try the veal...
e-9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
I love my Ikea electric desk.

I've been looking on the Ikea site for an electric desk, and can't find anything. Do you have the product name?

Thanks!

Dan
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand while recording...but sit when editing and doing computer work. So, understanding there are no lame questions, only lame questioners, does anyone have a chair they highly recommend? I know posture is most of it, but man! I need a new chair. Thx.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
LaurenLee
Contributor II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bettie -- have you looked into those weird knee chairs? The ones where your knees support your weight and your butt just kind of rests on a support. They're kind of hard to swing into in a skirt, but do provide great comfort and posture once you get used to them.

I stand while recording, with scripts hung on the angled wall well behind the mic, but sit while editing. My solution to the numbum problem is to take breaks and change chairs if I'm at it for more than a few hours. Got two in the work area.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you believe I got one of those ergo seats out of a junk pile? Salt Lake City affords residents a neighborhood cleanup each year, and man! the sheeott that appears on the curb. So yeah, I use one of those, plus an adjustable chair, and I, too, go between one and the other. And I might get another one on Frank's suggestion. Lotsa chairs--I call it "dampening"!
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Gp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here's a nice solution for you. A bit pricey maybe but it will accomadate your every position and remain supportive. http://www.anglechair.com/ about 1500.00...it's on my wish list!
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was engineering full time, we always had the mic set up for talent to be standing, unless the session was for a long format recording. In that case, we'd ask what the talent preferred and always has a high stool or director's chair in the booth. Occasionally, I'd have to remind the talent to "decide now, because once we start, you have to stay that way."

Because a large portion of my work is still long format, I find I prefer a high chair or stool. For spot work in outside studios, I always stand. At home, because of my setup, I sit and I hold the script quietly. I tend to use one hand to gesture anyway. Sometimes, just one finger. Smile
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don G. wrote:
For spot work in outside studios, I always stand. At home, because of my setup, I sit...

Likewise for me. About a third of my voiceover work is done in other studios and in most of them I stand. At home, I sit and read directly from the computer screen.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e-9 wrote:
Bruce wrote:
I love my Ikea electric desk.

I've been looking on the Ikea site for an electric desk, and can't find anything. Do you have the product name?

Thanks!

Dan

I just found out I never saw or responded to your request for info on the electric desk (actually a table) for doing work standing or sitting. Sorry 'bout that. It is from their GALANT series of office furniture. I couldn't find the electric one on their website, so you may want to call or visit if you're interested. They look like the photo below only with thicker legs for the screw mechanism that raises and lowers the work surface.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
DaveChristi
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
At home, I sit and read directly from the computer screen.

I used to do the same thing. One day while editing part of a longer script, I heard the faintest click-click-click-click-click. I couldn't figure it out... so I amplified it. IT WAS THE MOUSE WHEEL! While reading I was scrolling with the mouse wheel without even thinking about it. I had to go back and re-record 2 sections.

Lesson learned.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveChristi wrote:
One day while editing part of a longer script, I heard the faintest click-click-click-click-click. I couldn't figure it out... so I amplified it. IT WAS THE MOUSE WHEEL!

Dave,

I don't have this problem much because I'm using a 21" monitor at 1600x1200. So, I only need to scroll between pages, where I would need to pause anyway, if I was reading from a printed script.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: