VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Standing Up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

Exactly which kind of "pop filter" do you use? Foam or screen?
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea why my inner voice is forcing me NOT to offer the (what I consider) very humorous answer to Bill's question…even though he’d think it’s funny.

Maybe I should turn the table. We’ll make it like Match Game ’05 staring everyone’s pal Gene Rayburn….

“Peter doesn’t sit or stand when he broadcasts…he squats. So he doesn’t use foam or a screen for his POP filter, he uses…blank”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Simon's comments about never walking into a booth set up for standing quite interesting. I've walked into very few that aren't. But they always have a tall counter stool in there so the talent has their preference. I've been sitting or standing, as circumstances dictated, ever since I started doing this stuff. My current preference is to stand.

And I don't use a pop filter, either. The only reason you would ever need one would be to control the plosives, but once you learn how to position your upper lip slightly forward of the lower lip when saying your "P's", then plosives will never be a problem again. The last pop screen I tried out was a Stedman. Nice, but like all pop filters, it does filter out more than just air.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the sitting down set ups in the UK are a Southern thing, or a recent thing - when I did VOs in the UK they were always standing, though it is a good few years ago.

Jeff, thanks so much for the P advice! I don't like using the pop shield either, because of the drop in sound quality.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1990, Commercial Production, Radio city, Liverpool, England. Standy uHobo Toungey gig under the direction of Leo Cubbin. The only UK standy uHobo Toungey gig I can recall. Where did you make your stand, Katrina? I believe one makes a stand at Custer's Studio in Hull and Little Bighorn studios Montana.
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacegypsy -- you're welcome. Very easy to practice and master. Hold the palm of your hand in front of your face, the same distance you would work the microphone. Now, say something with plosivies -- "Peter piper picked a pack of pickeled peppers" or what have you. Feel the puffs of air hitting your palm? Now, say the same thing again, but move your upper lip slightly forward, which will in turn, redirect those puffs of air lower than your hand (and microphone!).

It takes a little while to get used to doing this, but in time, it becomes second nature.

When I'm doing an outside session (which for me are increasingly rare these days), I tend to leave the pop filter in place, so the engineer doesn't have a heart attack. But I never use one in my home booth. Once you learn this simple technique, you'll never want (or more to the point, NEED) to use a pop filter again.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, that's really cool! Great suggestion and advice. The secrets of the masters are being revealed to the initiates.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Charlie, but the real credit goes to Professor Anthony Georgilas at Pasadena City College, who taught this to me in Radio 101 when I was 18-years-old.

Professor Georgilas was definitely "old school" and had some terrific advice in terms of the mechanics of speech. Taught me how to cue up a record, also, but I no longer require that skill. Fortunately. :lol:

Speaking of old school. Stop and think about it for a minute. How many old time announcers -- you know -- the guys who had to do it LIVE on television, do you recall using pop filters? How many publicity stills from the golden era of radio and television do you see with pop filters in front of the RCA 44's and 77's? None that I can recall.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the studios I've worked in (bar 1) are set for standing. I have set my home studio up for standing as well.

The reason I've set it up for standing is because I move around too much if I'm sitting down and the chair makes some horrid squeaking noises ... the kind I can't seem to edit out.

If I could just stay still .... and stop my hands moving around ... and .....

:wink:
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:
If I could just stay still .... and stop my hands moving around ... and .....

:wink:

Oh for goodness sake they're hiring a voice over not a windmill. I remain perfectly still. Some producers are convinced I am one of the Undead.
MichaelJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note...

Whether standing or sitting (or squatting), do you tend to HOLD your script, leave it on a stand, or actually read from the computer screen (thereby sparing the lives of so many shrubs)?

Although I set up my "booth" with a stool and a music stand, I tend to stand and hold the script. The computer is next door, because it's too noisy. (The large brass nuts hanging on the music stand are more for encouragement than anything structural.)

What's the trend?
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trend?... Heck, who cares about trends! If I had followed every trend over the past 10-years, I'd have blue hair, 27 piercings, 19 tatoos, be wearing "professionally torn" blue jeans from the Gap that cost me $250, have on a pair of Doc Martin knee high purple boots, be listening to my iPod with oversized headphones, while driving in my pimped out Honda Civic with a nitros bottle, $6500 stereo system, lowered suspension and ground effect lighting...

Here's a question that keeps popping up on this board and I feel is very appropriate... what works for you?

As far as the script goes... I tend to be on the higher energy side, and my arms flail around like a little girl running from a ghost :wink: ... which makes holding the script without noise, let alone being able to read it, next to impossible :lol:.

I have a flat 17" monitor mounted in my booth, from which I read most scripts, however in the event that I have a faxed script I also have a butterfly clip stuck to the monitor housing to which I can attach a script. You can take a look at picture of booth setup if you like (www.brianforrester.com/delivery.html#studio)

I find working with the monitor above my line of sight forces me look up, which in turn opens my throat etc... I feel less restricted and more able to move around, than working with a music stand in front of me. When I'm in somebody elses studio, I really try to move the stand as far away from me as possible and as high up as I can.

I personally, would never recommend holding a script while performing. Even assuming that you can find some kind of stiff paper that won't flop around and make noise (good luck, unless you mount each script to piece of cardboard)... from personal experience (being a hand talker) it immediately restricts my ability to move, which dramatically affects my performance, not a good thing! Use a stand, or heck... post a cork board on the wall of your booth behind your mic and in your line of sight and thumb tack your scripts there... although that may bring in another issue of sound reverberation off of the board, but that's for another thread! :wink:

However, that's just me any my lolely opinion.

Happy Holidays
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
Oh for goodness sake they're hiring a voice over not a windmill. I remain perfectly still. Some producers are convinced I am one of the Undead.

Heh.

I have to teach people TO USE their hands when they do VO.
I always make a point to wear soft clothing and no wild jewelry when I have a studio session.

The windmiller
Deirdre
Audiogal
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in standing & seated booths, but am seated in my own. I was taught to smile & gesture in the booth, as it helps convey feeling through the mic. I have to remember to sit tall & not shift in my chair, but hand gestures are ok since I have plenty of space around me.

In someone else's studio, I always prefer standing if the only other option is a tall stool, as the lack of back support makes it hard for this short person to sit up straight & tall.

I agree with the suggestion to use a monitor or clip...holding the script is asking for paper rustling.
marko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff McNeal wrote:
Thanks, Charlie, but the real credit goes to Professor Anthony Georgilas at Pasadena City College, who taught this to me in Radio 101 when I was 18-years-old.

Professor Georgilas was definitely "old school" and had some terrific advice in terms of the mechanics of speech. Taught me how to cue up a record, also, but I no longer require that skill. Fortunately. :lol:

Speaking of old school. Stop and think about it for a minute. How many old time announcers -- you know -- the guys who had to do it LIVE on television, do you recall using pop filters? How many publicity stills from the golden era of radio and television do you see with pop filters in front of the RCA 44's and 77's? None that I can recall.

Jeff,

I have to also thank you for the advice with popping! One of the many things I love about our craft and this board is the amazingly helpful advice offered from folk such as yourself.

Standing is the only way for me, by the way. Every major studio here in Atlanta is usually set up for the talent to stand with the option to sit. Here's a question, what do you guys & gals use to hold your water or throat lubricant? I've seen some talent use a tall table and others have some sort of cup holder thingy attached to their mic stand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: