VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Standing Up
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billelder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Standing Up Reply with quote

How many folks here work in a "stand up" home studio setup? I changed over about a year and a half ago and love it. However, the down side is I have to custom make everything because stand up computer desks are very rare...that I've seen.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always stand unless it's long form.

On a side note, Hergo sells products that allow you to build excellent ergonomical spaces and the cost "varies" but they're industrial quality products. Check out the "Flat Panel LCD Monitor Arms" section.

-g
Doc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

You may want to have a look around here: http://www.everythingofficefurniture.com/adhecode.html

I read on another board that these desks may be perfect for what you're seeking.

I'm even going to treat myself to one, following my next 4000 v.o.'s. Hehehe...
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, et al;

I used to do stand-up, now I am getting old, fat and sassy-er - can't do it anymore. I just sit straight, never lean back and relax, and GO for it!

Have had a physical thing the past few months and sitting is the only thing I can do, can't even do that very long.

I know you know these things, but I just thought I would remind you... and give others a chance to think about them, too.

If you are planning on designing something, do so with how you work in mind... do you use your hands to talk? - I do. Do you sway in and out when working with the mic? Do you feel comfortable with the copy "in your face" or further away on a stand - can you read it further away? Where is the lighting focused? Where are the reflective surfaces of your studio? Are they at 'right angles' to where you are speaking toward? Will you be using 'bass traps' or just relying on reflectivity and foam to keep your VO's from being 'boomy'? Do you have glass at an oblique angle away from the direct line of your "power zone" - vocally speaking, of course?

Most 'sit-down' studios have the reflective surfaces higher than the power zone, also they are designed to be tuned to a lower height than if one is standing up. So, think about how you are going to work and plan a little remodeling project to go along with it. Find wood products for your VO booth, not metal, not plastic, to keep the reverberation down to a minimum.

Also get a "bar stool" or tall chair to relax upon between takes... it helps!

Stand-up studios are GREAT when you need power and forcefulness in your sound, they allow your diaphragm to open-up and a VO Talent can take a larger breath while standing.

Keep soundin' great like you always do...

Frank F
billelder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and links. I did the last three years of my radio show with a stand-up board. I loved being on my feet, so after a few years of sitting I decided to make a temporary standup situation so I could see if it was going to work for me. Since I've decided to stay with it I'll have to think about how to do this on a more permanent basis. Thanks, Frank! I already have a couple of bar stools used when my Godson comes over to record his music. <g>

Half the fun is in the planning and looking.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standing is the only way to fly. I stand while on the air and in the clos...er...booth. My main day job is a sitting situation and I personally detest it. I like to sit sometimes...but seem to work better and quicker on my feet.
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to stand when working in my own space, but 95% of my work is done in other studios. It's normal practice here in Tokyo to sit for everything except anime and a lot of video game work.

Maiku

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Stand up! Reply with quote

IKEA has a desk that will rasie up and own for sitting or standing. It has electric motors that rasie and lower it at the touch of a button. It comes with a key to lock it so kids can't play with it and hurt themsleves or yout gear. I went with a sitting desk and a separate area for the mic and soon a separate booth to stand in. Like brain I will make one. Three grand for a Whisperroom is a bit miuch at this point in my career.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't, but should. We all should, really. Better breathing control, etc. When I build my dream studio, which I have drawings for, it'll be set up for standing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty much a hardened sitter at home, and a stander in the studios mostly, depending on how they already set the mic up when I get there. If they expect me to sit, I sit and if they are already set up for standing I do that. If it's optional, long reads I sit, short reads I stand.

At home though, I just started standing more - probably because I have worked out a way to do it and control everything without having to be up and down, up and down. So, it seems like right now it depends on how I feel, if the read needs more energy then standing is good.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I am setting myself up to be stoned (as in bombarded with stones. Shut uHobo Happy, but I very rarely stand at home. I use my "acting space" for my hands and am quite active with gesture as I speak. From my captain's chair.

I will stand for screamin' car spots, but, otherwise, at home-- I sit. At the big studios, I stand.

Last edited by Deirdre on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For performance, standing may give a voice that extra 10% but one has to be sure that the 90% is there in the first place.

In my "wee huttie" there is a very high stool upon which I sit.
Simon Fellows
Contributor III

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to stand or perch atop a stool at home but pretty much every session at another studio is sitting. That just seems to be the way most studios are set up over here. With the exception of dubbing/ADR (which I have never done myself, BTW) I don't think I've ever walked into a studio and found them set for standing.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I squat.

And I'm pretty sure that's all anybody wants to hear about THAT! :lol:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Ikea electric desk. You get the best of both worlds all in one spot. Stand to read and sit to edit. But you can sure hear the difference in results of standing versus sitting. I'll stand for a long narration, and as I sit to edit I'll sometimes hear a sentence I'd like to re-do. Being lazy (it takes all of 10 seconds to raise the desk), I'll try and record it sitting down, but the match is sometimes hard to make.

I'm sure it's partially acoustical (the position of the mic versus everything in the room, including me) but personal breathing space I'm sure has a lot to do with it.

Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: