VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vacation?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Vacation? Reply with quote

Bill Elder made me laugh with this line today:

Quote:
That was when I remembered that I never go anywhere.

But seriously, how do you all manage vacations, or do you? I haven't been out of North America in 15 years, and haven't gone anywhere fun in almost that long, just making various schlepps to visit relatives. We went to the Adirondacks for 2 days over the Labor Day weekend, and that was absolute heaven. No cell phone service even. But I did get a call from a client on the trip home.

I guess I'm new enough to the VO business that I feel like I can't afford to miss a single gig. But vacations are important. I felt like a new person after that measly 2 days in the 'dacks. I agreed to go to France with my brothers and sister and their families next summer, we're renting a big house for 2 weeks, although I don't know if my own family will stay that long. And while we're there, might as well travel a bit. I don't think I want to be completely incommunicado the whole time, so will need to be thinking about a traveling rig (later, on the Gear Forum).

Just wondered what y'all do about vacations.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacation? What's that? :shock:
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to do it. Go somewhere, do something else and for goodness sake learn to talk about something else.

In the UK once a year there is a gathering of voice overs and producer called Vox. Needless to say this year it was called Vox 2005. One of the most interesting things was how many people could only talk shop. Those who attend are, for the most part, in the commercial radio market. Most of them are lovely people too.

"I have a new baby" announced one MVO.

"That's brilliant, congratulations"

"Wonderful!!! It's a Neumann TLM103".

In terms of time away from base I try to do it as often as possible. Last weekend away was to the Isle of Skye, next weekend will be Friday to Monday in the south west of England visiting friends. best break was a week in Norway.

Anyone getting withdrawal symptons ...Ok...Which colour XLR lead gives the best signal to noise ratio?
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Avatar Banksey!

In case you don't know, and maybe you do, prisoners in jail in the US wear an orange jumpsuit like that.

I didn't find out until I went out dressed as a pumpkin one day for Halloween, well, in bright orange baggy pants and jacket, and got chased up 42nd Street by a helicopter which even took photos of me with a flash. (At least I think that is what the flashing light was) Unbeknownst to me, a prisoner had just escaped.... and that was how I found out not to wear orange from head to toe in NYC.

By the way, which XLR cable?

It's a year or more since we went away, and I don't miss it - I could do with getting with nature a bit more though and only feel the pull when I see lovely pictures like DBs and yours of Port Gordon.

Traveling across time lines is so hard on us these days.

We have lots of fun at home though, always lots to do and different projects.

I needed to get away a LOT more when I worked in an office!
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought it was a prison suit myself, watch enough CourtTV you know the deal.

I use to hop on my motorcycle every weekend and just drive, then I got married and that ended, but I try to go somewhere for at least four days every three months and lots of day trips on the weekends with friends. At this point I'm in the "build a log house" mode so most of my trips are to see the regional logs homes.

Kevin
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my quote was because I was setting up a laptop to do emergency VO's while on vacation. In reality, I'm using the setup to be used when we have another storm season and I'm without electricity for a couple of days...again. I believe in backups...oops...having one right now! <g>

I used to do vacations until I started VO's. Haven't taken one since 2001. I used to go to the UK every year and visit my friends and hope to get back there soon. I'm sure everyone would understand if I were to tell them that I would be out of pocket for a few days. For a week's vacation I'd have to do some planning and give folks plenty of notice. I'm sure it can be done!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacations include my laptop, my VOIP adapter and before booking the room, making sure they have high speed internet access (which can make in dificult to find a room sometimes).

Got to Iceland, got a call to do a couple of VO sessions, spent 12 hours in my room on Day one, Day two - only three hours, Day three - two glorious of hours of sunshine, and two more hours in the room with my laptop set-up.

Day four, said "no more" (I had more than paid for the trip), Day five - get a call from a client who "just had to have it done today - I'll pay you double your normal rate" - couldn't refuse and offer like that. Day six, had time to go to the Blue Lagoon - just before getting on board the plane for my return home. Then I got some rest and relaxation.

Sometimes the best way to relax and take "time off", is just to GO, take nothing in the recording world along with you, and for several glorious, sensational, marvelous days - think about how much money your losing while your not taking calls.

The funny thing is... when I do choose to take some time for myself, I always get more work than I can handle in the few days prior to my leaving - - I just gotta plan mmore trips away....

Frank F
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm, Over the Sea to Skye... sounds so romantic. What's it really like, Philip?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know when I get there, Mary. Philip and I have a nice, week-long getaway planned.

What do you mean, this isn't a private message?
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip, you two-timing....

Sigh. DB robbed me of another one. I can't compete with that blonde goddess.....
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
The funny thing is... when I do choose to take some time for myself, I always get more work than I can handle in the few days prior to my leaving - - I just gotta plan mmore trips away....

Frank F

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Well people, Frank has officially forfeit membership for one count of letting superlative "secret" marketing tricks out of the bag, earning the maximum five (5) shocks Exclamation

I guess he left out the best part, sending post cards to inform clients, maybe he'll just get a warning!

-g
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Philips's 3 timing at least.

I've got a ticket to Portgordon to see the seals any time now....
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that really does explain the orange jump suit. Laugh
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, sorry Kevin....

I just thought since we were amongst fellow VO types... I guess that's what I get for doing my own thinking...

I'll take to drafts and say my penance later... I am I still in the club?

Frank F
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're still in the club. I'll just encrypt this page so that only VO professionals can read it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: