VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Voiceover Talent Database Would YOU Pay For?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Which Voiceover Talent Database Would YOU Pay For? Reply with quote

All right, everyone. I have been reading this board trying to determine to which talent database I should subscribe. Although V123 has been getting a bit slammed recently, seems as though the positive posts to V123 nearly balance out the negative ones. I'm here to take your recommendations. I also realize that selection, as well as your suggestions, are purely subjective. But, I'd be extremely interested to read and review your comments on them... especially if you use them currently.

I need to drum up some biz here, so the added exposure certainly couldn't hurt. However, I do not want to flush my money down the proverbial commode!

If you do not wish to publish your comments publicly, please feel free to e-mail me at doc@docphillips.com.

Okay... I'm ready - let me have it! :lol:
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Returns Reply with quote

For me, I have made my money back and a lot more on all the boards I joined.

I may well gripe about V123, but it has netted me the most work, and repeat work. Law of averages mean it also gives me the most problem clients.

Interactive Voices also, though quieter, has brought me an important client.

I also get work from Voicemodels.com, and pay no money for that.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't subscribe to any of them, so I don't really know what I'm missing, except that I experience vicarious rage through my colleagues here. Have not seen/heard anything that would make me want to join.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have around $300 to spend on marketing yourself as a voice over I would suggest that it could be better spent. The pay web sites work for some and not others. From the experiences of most people, assuming equal ability, the work load is more a case of good luck rather than a good site.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, here Phillip. You are correct. Luck is it.

I've been on both Interactive Voices and on Voice123 for some time now and have gotten nary a job from either one. I don't imagine I'll be renewing my subscriptions to either. I'll just keep the free page on both and use my own site. I also have a page on Voicemodels...with the same result, no jobs from it either.

I have not tried submitting to an agency yet. I don't know if I want to get tied up with that or not. I am working...but would like to have a few more clients. Currently, I only have one, Rusty Faulk Outdoors. It's once a week thing for narrating his outdoor show.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belong to both and I agree with Phillip, 100%, too. You may do better enjoying a piece of hardware, using the money to get to a NAB convention, buying tequila for Christmas presents and delivering it to potential clients, etc.

The icon is the Bay-to-Breakers foot race run in San Francisco. I don't know if you've ever seen it. But, that's what the servers seem like to me.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having paid for 1 year on both V123 and IV, I would say none.
Yes, I've made my money back from leads generated, but the inexperience of the clients/producers looking for the right "voice" (not the right "read") and the time involved in collections, was a deal-breaker for me.

I've gotten more out of applying the same amount of money in reproducing my demo, mailing, and postcarding in NYC than I have online.

It seems that the more "unique" your voice (again, not your talent or read), the more you will stand out online. That's not the same for the "real" world in my market at least.

-Anthony
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't renew but I will keep my free posting... on as many sites as possible!

I get a lot of direct traffic to my website from V123 and IV and have made my money back from V123 many times over, but I'm finding it more of a hassle to deal with the ridiculous leads.

The $$$ that I'll save on my listing I'll invest into direct marketing, because I truly believe that there's a better opportunity to build my client base through that method than the hit or miss method of these sites.
Doc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL interesting reads, to be sure. I very much appreciate the response this has generated.

Keep 'em coming!
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't -- and won't pay to be on any VO site. One came after me in a very aggressive way a couple of years ago -- I can't remember which, but they wanted $100 or something. I told them that I would rather give them half of whatever first job I developed from them, than give them $100 on their promise of future work. In other words, I asked them to put their money where their mouths were -- and they seemed quite flustered by that proposition.
steeleman
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: voice 123 Reply with quote

I did the Voice 123 thing and got a good bit of work on it. I only answered the ones I felt good about or type of vo's I excelled at.
I did get stiffed by one moron in california for only $25..

The thing that flustered me was you can answer all those
ads and if you are not voice 1-say 50...you ain't gonna get the gig.
A LOT of those posting jobs and gigs on the site want it CHEAP!

I liked it and it was fun but I just didn't have the time to keep
answering ... The site is just TOO crowded!! TOO MANY PEOPLE!
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the principle has been articulated loudly by experieneced artists: If an agent makes you pay for their service, don't use that agency.

In biz, to increase velocity of transactions, DISINTERMEDIATION (what a word) was the buzzzzz. I believe that's what the technology offered. You and client can get together and the "server" is just a vehicle to make that happen.

The problem is that "casting" is a function that must be performed. Either the client does it, a casting agent does it, or an agency does casting (by sending the client a short list of talent). That job must be done, one way or another.

In order to produce it's got to be done.

The servers sort of work. Mostly, the function is advertising, aggregating and somewhat casting talent -- all at the same time. And, to finance it, the Huckleberry Finn principle is put in effect.

So, talent pays for the wonderful opportunity to paint the casting fence. It works for the aggregator. I probably works, somewhat, for the client. And, it works for the talent to a lesser degree.

I think many of us have been poking around and playing with technology, because it has facilitated so much change. And, we're all learning because we're really on the cusp of the Information Age.

I'd guess that five years ago, very little of the way we're doing things in this business, on a daily basis. Comcast just got high speed Internet delivery somewhat stable in the Palo Alto area. Some of us early adopters paid for really crapy service for a long time, and the cable company that delivered Internet changed ISP's at least three times.

Anyway, I'd say that this has been a learning experience. And, in mhy book, the voice123, IV and other servers have their place. ROI, from the viewpoint of talent, may or may not be good -- depending on ?????? Producer's skill. Talent's skill. Client's skill. Internet connectivity. Lots of factors in the mix. New technology and paradigms ... just how DO you spell PodCast -- no longer broadcast but narrowcast.

I think that's what makes for excitement and checking out where this stuff will take us.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made quite a few bucks from V123. And a few from IV. Maybe I got in early when the pond wasn't so packed and managed to pick up a half dozen regular clients who keep me busy on a steady basis. Now, I'd say neither's worth the investment. IV gets as many job leads in a week as you see in one day on V123. But neither caps the talent base and they're packed in the thousands!. If you can pony up the bucks to join, you're in. Hence, it becomes a numbers game and the odds for the talent are growing more difficult.

In a related note have any of you V123 members received an invitation to take part in their trade show presentation? I was asked to be available for 2 and a half days to play the hungry talent who responds to demo leads at some NAB show next week in NYC. I replied that I'd be more than happy to work the show. My trade show demo rate is $500 per day, so for the entire run, my rate would be $1,200. "Thanks for thinking of me! And let me know if my price is fair." So far, as I pitch my ear toward the Big Apple, all I'm hearing are crickets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Drew - I'm happy to do the V123 thing at the show - great networking opportunity.

I'll let you know if I do it.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kat, they want us to stay chained to our home studios and send demos via their system to potential clients who stop by their booth. At least that's they way I read the pitch.

I'm all for glad-handing, card passing, netwoikin', etc. I just don't see much networking potential whilst I sits on me arse here in Texas answering pretend leads so V123 can impress some broadcast executive who might happen to stop by their booth.

So, if'n they wants me to play, it's their turn to pay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: