VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strip Silence in Pro Tools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon Fellows
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Strip Silence in Pro Tools Reply with quote

I learnt of this from the only other VO forum I'm a member of last night and thought I would pass it on. Of course, you may all know about it already but it certainly was a revelation for me. You'll find Strip Silence under the Windows tab in Pro Tools. Play around with the settings until you find something that suits your style of delivery and hey presto - you have yourself an excellent de-breather. Laugh

If I'm the only fool who didn't already know about this then I apologise for taking up your time.

Cheers
Simon
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean--

There are OTHER VO forums?

fora?

heh.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Strip Silence in Pro Tools Reply with quote

TheLimey wrote:
If I'm the only fool who didn't already know about this then I apologise for taking up your time.

You'd be surprised how many don't know this.
Just be very, very, very careful of using Strip Silence too much - it's rather unforgiving, and makes alot of v/o's sound unnatural.
If you're breathing the same as you are when you're speaking, then there really isn't much need to worry about "breaths".

-Anthony
Simon Fellows
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Quote:
You mean--

There are OTHER VO forums?

Oh no. My secrets out. I feel so cheap! :oops:

AnthonyVO wrote:

Quote:
Just be very, very, very careful of using Strip Silence too much - it's rather unforgiving, and makes alot of v/o's sound unnatural.
If you're breathing the same as you are when you're speaking, then there really isn't much need to worry about "breaths".

All fair comment, Anthony. You can end up with a very gated effect if you're not careful. I guess the message is approach with caution and use subtly. I remembered seeing a few posts not so long ago about de-breathing, but being the lazy sod I am I didn't bother to hunt them out and just posted this as I figured it might be of use.

Cheers
Simon
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have to jam-a-lam a slightly too-long spot into a given, unforgiving time, I exise the sound of the breaths in the volume track and then pull about 2/3 of the resultant space. It's a smaller pause than a breath, but not an upcut.

Learned that from a production god in Chicago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: