VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is a Neuman still a Neuman?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billelder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Is a Neuman still a Neuman? Reply with quote

OK! As per Mike's suggestion, here is a thread on mics besides the thread with DB's nice mic pictures.

So, with all of the excellent large diaphram condenser mics out there, is a Neuman still a Neuman? I don't own one and have never heard myself on one. But recent years have given us many options and pretty nice sound with some of the less expensive choices.

Your thoughts?

(Oh...nice mic, Mike, on the avitar!)
Edo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Neumann still a Neumann Reply with quote

Well, I do a lot of voice-work on a very relyable Neumann M147 and I must say that I like it very much. Apart from the fact that this microphone cost more than my vintage Mercedes, I just love it. The last couple of weeks I have been in studio's where Rode microphones are in heavy use and I own a couple of them myself (NT-2 and NT-V (valve)). As long as they're combined with a nice analog tube pre-amp (like a TLAudio 5051), they sound awesome!

Tomorrow I'll be doing some character work on a Brauner. That sucker will buy you a way more recent Mercedes Smile

The one thing I wouldn't recommend is the Neumann TLM 103, as it is not anywhere near the quality we know from Neumann's other 'standards'. For the money you spend on a TLM 103 there are a lot better microphones. available.

Regards from Holland

Edo
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a "valve"? is it an actual mechanism in the tube part of the mic?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out here in Tokyo it's something of a brand name culture. People aspire to own Louis Vuitton bags, Rolex watches, BMW cars and so on. Beyond the extra street cred you might aquire, these brands offer no tangible benefits over the cheaper competition. These days, mics are the same. Once upon a time there were very few mic makers of any quality, and to produce a decent sounding mic was a reasonably expensive process. With the development of cheaper production technology and a cheaper workforce in asia, production of high quality mics has become much easier. Neumann's are great mics, and the mythology is still strong enough to justify many studios having them because clients expect to see them, but in the real world and for many applications one could get equal or sometimes better results from a mic considerably cheaper. As is often stated on the other boards (and let me be the first to do it here) The choice of mic depends entirely on the source you wish to record, not on how much you paid for the mic. As I've said before, I use a Neumann U87 as my first choice because it sounds good on many people. However, I have swapped it out for other mics because they sounded on a particular voice. So on occasion my $100 SP-B1 beats the $3,000 Neumann.

Anyway...back to rebuilding my studio. I've just moved it out of it's own premises and into my apartment...What a mess.

Mike.
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Forgot to log in. :cry:

Yeah, that's me above.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looked like you.

Good luck on the compression of stuff into space.
Edo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
What is a "valve"? is it an actual mechanism in the tube part of the mic?

The Rode NT-V is a valve or tube microphone as the other model (NT-2) is a condenser mike. It's an Australian brand microphones and they are very popular in Western Europe because of their amazing specs and friendly pricetag. I only have a link in Dutch, but it will tell the story more or less. Currently the NT-V is sold as the NT-K. The NT-V was the previous model.

Pricewise, add about 10 percent to the stated price in euro and you know what the pricetag in dollars will be.

It's actually Rode with a stripe through the 'o', but I haven't found out how to write that thing on a keyboard yet Laugh

http://www.rode.nl/

Also take a look at Blue microphones as they are quickly becoming the hottest thing around in recording in Holland at the moment.

http://www.bluemic.com/
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Røde.

Type your "o" while holding down the "alt/option" key.

(I'm on a Mac, but I think it may work for PCs)
Edo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Røde.

Type your "o" while holding down the "alt/option" key.

(I'm on a Mac, but I think it may work for PCs)

Nope... won't work on my PC and I'm pretty sure I'll never attach my G5 on the net... my Pro Tools HD system has to function whenever I want it to... I spent a bundle on that aluminium masterpiece and I don't think it's very smart to take any chances :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neuman ceased to be Neuman when Sennheiser came into the picture. I've owned a U87, an M147 and a TLM103, I found someone who made U47 remakes and that's what I use today - along with the Sennheiser 416P48.
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Microtech Gefell mic Reply with quote

This is my first post, and I'm very glad to be here.

When I was setting up my studio last year I ordered and tested about five different mics. I finally found the Gefell M930, and I'm really pleased with it. Here's a review from Sound On Sound magazine.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan04/articles/microtechgefell.htm?session=5ec3533b3d32289cf29b9c6829550946

Georg Neumann founded the Microtech Gefell company in 1943, and it was the company in which he built his first commercial microphone. There's interesting history in the above article, scroll down to the box "East Meets West" and check it out!
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rode.com.au/

I use an NT-2 on both voice and saxophone, great bang for the buck, and I've had a few dealings directly wtih the company, good blokes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: