VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

any body use one of these?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steeleman
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: any body use one of these? Reply with quote

Borrowed an APHEX COMPELLOR from a radio station engineer.
Anybody on this forum use one of these in your mic or main mix line? Engineer encouraged me to USE this in my MAIN mix line
as opposed to the mic chain.

Can you share some settings? If I like it...I may not give it back!! Laugh The COMPELLOR that is..
Doc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steele,

BETTER be good for $1300! LOL

Let me know how you like it.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew, you must be an "old radio" person? The sound for radio is already tightly compressed and limited , due to the inherent bandwidth of the medium. When doing VO it's possible that you MAY desire the type of highly compressed, very heavy limiting, and peak limiting action from the Aphex 302a - but not very often.

Most of my clients prefer a much less compressed - natural sound - dry mix. They will then add the other dynamics as they prefer (not always to my liking, but that's the breaks :wink: ).

What I find I would use more often and DO use more often is an "Aural Exciter" oftentimes called a "maximizer". This will add richer highs, deeper lows, better presense, and clarity to your sound without sacrificing your bandwidth and destroying the natural harmonics inherent in your voice. Certain male and some female voice are naturally a bit muddy - the exciter can sometimes clean the sound up to a decent sound worth listening to in the long haul.

For around $200.00 USD, you might take a look at the Aphex 204 Aural Exciter or (for a few bucks cheaper and a bit of a learning curve - also a bit touchy) the Behringer EX3200 Ultrafex Pro (around $ 90.00 USD). Each has it's place in the professional recording studio - provided you do NOT over-do it's/their use.

Good luck in your choices.

Frank F
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to steal the thread, but I use a multiband compressor because I'm one of those "naturally muddy" guys. I've never used an aural exciter, but I've been told by several people to buy one or the DBX equiv.

I'd rather use an RTAS plugin in Protools to achieve the same result ... any ideas?
steeleman
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: compellor Reply with quote

Whew, you must be an "old radio" personWell yes I am...but
may be not the OLD part just yet!! LOL... The compellor was essentially used at first for radio stations as a volume leveler on
the main mix. Made soft modulated stations loud and kept levels
good on the main mix!! They are still in use today. Lots of radio stations use the digital version of this 320D..Thought with this
being this useful on main mix of on air chain it would work with
a home studio.... I already have an aural exciter but it creates a
little bit much BASS to the mix.. I tried it out but it didn't seem to
do what I had hoped. I ended up connecting my main mix to an
OLDDDDDD DBX 166 compressor I've had and it did the leveling
thing I wanted. Bought an Behringer Ultramizer discontinued model
for $50 NEW and it did the leveling thing I wanted! Very nice
effect! One more thing...the older versions of the compellor
are going for 2 and 3 hundred max on ebay !!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I remember the "compellors" or what is commonly referred to as a compressor /limiter... used to crank ours up 'til your ears bled while on-air. Optomod was my favorite - however at $4,000.00 +- (still) it still hurts to think of it...(ROFL).

Sounds like your mic chain needs a little tweaking if the lows are painful with an exciter. Try a different exciter or opt for something a little simpler... an EQ.

Good Luck!

Frank F.

Oh, Kevin - Check out the "Waves Platinum bundle... might have just what you are looking for...

FF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: