VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joe Cipriano - NBC ISDN Session
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Morss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Joe Cipriano - NBC ISDN Session Reply with quote

This is a about 2 years old, but I just stumbled on it and thought it was just way cool. It's a Video Podcast of Joe recording Promos for NBC via ISDN from his home studio. He seems like such a character.

Enjoy.

http://blog.joecipriano.com/?p=7
jessespringer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, fun to watch! Joe's the bomb.
Craig
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: abq's Reply with quote

The engineer on the other end referred to 'ABQ's' or something like that several times.

Anybody know what that means?

Craig
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that he is surrounded by highly reflective surfaces, no sign of sound-proofing and isn't using a pop filter.
Am I missing something?

(not missing cake ... just had big piece of chocolate cake after lunch ... mmmmmm, naptime ........
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe's the Chuck Norris of VO. He just wills the room into silence.
Jon Morss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob -

I asked Joe about this since I was surprised that he was able to get such a great sound from what appears to be a not so great sounding room.

Joe states:
"The room is treated with padding and fabric on all walls and ceiling and carpet on the floor"

Also, his signal path is Neumann U87 to Avalon M5 to ISDN. Simple, but very impressive.
Rob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Morss wrote:
Rob -

Joe states:
"The room is treated with padding and fabric on all walls and ceiling and carpet on the floor"

So, Joe works in a padded room ... reminds me of a quote about writers :

"A lot of people in this world hear voices in their minds. Some are called crazy, and they lock themselves away in little rooms where they bang their heads against the wall all day. The others are called writers and they pretty much do the same thing."
Craig
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

It looks like a mixer is involved too, but I can't tell what it is. At one point the audio switches from whatever is recording the video to his U87. The audio from the video recorder is rather noisy, but the U87 isn't at all.

Nice and clean for sure.

Craig
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised at how the mic didn't seem to pick up any of his chair and body movements. Could he actually be using a gate/expander?
Ed Gambill
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question was asked about ABQ’s and I believe that this is the answer. What sound like ABQ’s is actually A-B Cues.

Film and video editing was done using an A and B roll, allowing for picture element on two different reels of film and for audio to be on two different mag tracts. Thats the way I learned to cut film.

A “Cue” is both a visual and audio element. On listing to the audio in the blog video you can hear first a cut from West Wing and then Joe’s VO. There is very little overlap on these audio tracks. I believe that in their DAW they have an A and B setup and that what is what you hear them talking about. Joe’s audio is most likely on the B roll.

This definition may help and were found at:
http://www.thomsongrassvalley.com/docs/Miscellaneous/Dictionary/DictionaryB2_A.html

A-B roll: Videotape editing arrangement in which scenes on tape are played alternately on VTRs A and B and recorded on VTR C. Typically, the final output recorded on VTR C contains some scenes from VTR A and some scenes from VTR B with transitions (cuts, mixes, wipes etc.) between the scenes.
Cue: Video editing term meaning to position a videotape at a specific point.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorting the A/B cues is probably just engineer referring to dropping Joe's voice into the SOVT items (Sound on VT although it probably isn't on VT at all). In Joe's headphones he sounds like he's hitting every cue point but becuase of the slight ISDN delay to the people in New York he's late for every one. Getting the timing right for cue 1 will mean sliding the audio back on the timeline a few frames and in so doing with the entire take it should then make everything on time.

On Tuesday a producer and sound engineer decided to take my voice tracks in wild and fit them to the pictures later. It's was first time we'd tried this and it worked like a charm. It meant that I was nice and early for my 11.45 session which was cancelled ....Isn't that always the way?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ed and Philip.

I'm continually delighted by what I learn here.
Craig
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, thanks.

I learn something new every day. It helps make up for all the stuff I forget everyday.

Craig
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
It looks like a mixer is involved too, but I can't tell what it is. At one point the audio switches from whatever is recording the video to his U87. The audio from the video recorder is rather noisy, but the U87 isn't at all.

Nice and clean for sure.

He recorded that video on his MacBook Pro laptop from what I understand. The audio/video (built in iSight camera and mic on the laptop) was being recorded by the computer at the front end of the video. Then the audio picks up from his session audio so you could here the ISDN connection to NBC.

Whenever I have recorded video with my Mac laptop, it was noisy like that too. Buy hey, it is being picked up through a tiny pin hole size mic built in just above the laptop screen. He may have added the session audio later to his video.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also surprised to see (hear) that he read to the track. When I was engineering these types of sessions, we just had the talent (usually via ISDN) just read to timings. Makes the session go a lot faster. We're going to slide it around anyway.

In fact, we sometimes recorded the VO first, then fine-tuned the SOT around the VO. (The producer was known to change his mind about what clips we'd use, so he'd have a few options from which to choose.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: