VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behringer VX2496 processor
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes the test sound good is that it's not over processed.
donrandall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen, I believe the first sample (with processing) sounds better - it has more presence and life. It appears that this thing is a good and useful piece of equipment!

In listening, it sounds to me as though you are also using a de-esser.
Are you editing that carefully, or is your technique that good? I ask, because I am not hearing any hissing to the "s" sounds, nor am I hearing any pronounced sharp edges to the "t" sounds as is common to most of us. Good job!
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil and Don!

**Don: I was not using the de-esser on those samples. The unit has one but was not active. Only the expander, compressor and equalizer was in use at the time. I do have a 6" Nady pop filter in front of the mic (AKG c3000b). I did do some "clean-up" on the audio, mainly the breath sounds and those other assorted mouth sounds (saliva pops, clicks, etc.). I would like to think my technique is good. Wink I appreciate the compliment! cool
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little unit. The "processed" file was more full bodied, with a cleaner taste, er sound. Sorry. Sitting here with a beer in my hand.

Really, sounds nice in my cans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Drew, pass me one of those would you? Thanks cool
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unprocessed one sounded good enough, but the processed one made it sound muffled and pressed flat by comparison...it really brought you out into the room with my ear. And at a hundred bucks, how can you go wrong...You sold me...I want one!

Earlier someone mentioned tube emulators working great with condensers but not doing much with dynamics...is that the case in general? I'm starting out with a cardioid; if it wont make much difference I'll wait 'til I upgrade before I get one.

Pat
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardioid refers to the pattern of sound pick-up. Both my condenser and dynamic mics are have cardioid patterns. Studio condensers use a diaphram element to pick up sound and require either phantom power or their own power source. Dynamics use a combination of magnets to transduce the sound waves and are simply plug-n-talk.

As for tube processors not doing well with dynamic mics, all I can say is that mine didn't do much for my Sennheiser dynamic mic. I can't say that would be the case across the board. People with far more knowledge about this stuff have told me that condenser mics generally fare better with tube processors.

In my personal experience, the tube amp made gave me really muddy rusults with the dynamic mic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it amazing what just one little change can do for sound quality? Both sounded fine but, you can hear the improved quality in the first spot.

I'll have to keep this in mind when I get my home studio set up. Won't be doing that until I get moved and settled in Tennessee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: