VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behringer VX2496 processor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Behringer VX2496 processor Reply with quote

Hey folks, I am looking to get a processor and I'm looking at the Behringer VX2496 model. Anyone have any experience with this unit ? I've not had the opportunity to ever use a voice processor so this area is a bit gray for me, but the price on the unit is nice. I'm going directly from the mixer to the computer. Opinions welcome Smile Thanks for your input!
nick reed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: vx2496 Reply with quote

I had the Composer Pro-XL MDX2600, which is pretty much the same unit except that it does not have the mic preamp. I think it is one hell of a bargain for the money. Definitely a great introduction to the world of voice channels.

Nick
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Nick. I went ahead with the purchase. We'll see how it goes. This will be my first time with such a unit. I look forward to receiving it and trying it out.
nick reed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it works out. Maybe you could do a mini-review for us.

One piece of advice: Read the manual or you may become very frustrated, very fast. Actually, I think that everything will be pretty straightforward except the compressor, which I imagine will present a bit of a challege.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to investigate the Phonic Tube Vocalmax T8100.

It's a 2 channel tube voice processor. I'm using one now and have gotten quite a few compliments regarding the warmth and smooth bottom I'm able to deliver. Tube voice processors can really warm up a signal. It doesn't do much for my dynamic, Sennheiser 421. But it sure do nice things with a condenser mic. And at around $250, it's almost a steal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Drew, I'll look at the Phonic Tube too! Sounds like a nice piece of equipment for a nice price.

Nick, I'll definitely RTFM. Maybe that'll curb the sure-to-be-forthcoming frustration. Thanks for the tips and I'll letchall know how it goes cool
Edo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a strange one... The pros won't ever believe you that this unit actually does the job (more or less). As long as no one sees it, they'll say it sounds nice. Be careful what microphone you use though, it doesn't cut it with all mikes.

I've had the opportunity to thoroughly test the unit. It didn't really find that much to say negative things about it, although I decided not to use it. The enhancer is VERY good, but the eq is too strong for me and the ranges are strange.

Also It seems a bit to difficult to operate... it's not that intuitive. It works nice with a Rode Broadcaster, but downright sucks when using a tube... I decided to go for the TLA 5051 followed by a Yellowtec (analog) Vip1-processor.

But hey, find anything cheaper? Probably not. In Holland they sell for less than 99 euro now... (some $117)
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
the warmth and smooth bottom I'm able to deliver.

Phonic Tube and delivering a warm and smooth bottom end, all for $250? Dare I continue?
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continue? Not sure I understand your comment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I understood it...and if it's along the tracks I'm thinking, no, Kevin, you don't need continue!

(Of course, I could be wrong, and have just incriminated myself by revealing the way my own mind works)
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've paid less....come to think about it...for electronic components, I mean. :wink:
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading back, I can see how it would seem that way ... LOL ... dirty little minds.

At any rate, I was going to say, if you're using ProTools, there's a plugin from DigiDesign - BombFactory Fairchild 660. There's just no way to describe what it does. If you've already got a great sound going in, this just pushes it over the top. The Fairchild remains one of the best compressors ever made and the cost is now $25k for an original unit in somewhat good condition. The unit used tubes instead of solid state (UREI 1176) or optical based (UREI LA2A) circuitry. Now they put it in a plugin, I often wonder how close that plugin comes, but the sound is really nice. Cost $100 on Ebay.

At any rate, just something else to confuse your signal chain.

Kevin
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: tuning up Reply with quote

Okay guys/girls, I got the unit in the other day and have been playing with it, trying to tune it up for a nice sound. I think I've got it set up pretty good. I've posted a couple of demo links so you can see the difference. I would like to know what you guy/girls think of the sound. Just for reference, the demos on my website were done with software processing only. Just the mic, mixer and computer. No other outboard gear.

http://www.voiceoverallen.com/vx2496test1.mp3
http://www.voiceoverallen.com/vx2496test2.mp3

NOTE:
Test 1 was WITH the processor using the expander, compressor and equalizer.
Test 2 was WITHOUT the compressor or equalizer. I left the expander in for noise control.

Lemme know whatcha think.

Overall, I feel satisfied with it. It seems ruggedly built and is a quite handsome little guy.

Thanks!
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen, I listened thinking the first test was without the processor, and thought, gee, I don't think this was a good purchase. But I see I had it backwards. Hooray! Without the processor it sounds kind of muddy; with gives a clearer, more natural sound.

Cool!!!!
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks Mary Smile I appreciate you taking the time to listen and respond. I think it sounds really good. It's definitely clearer with than without and I can really tell it up against the stuff I did using only the software to process the vo track. cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: