VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it on purpose?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Is it on purpose? Reply with quote

Now maybe it's just me, but over the past week or so I have been hearing a radio spot for a rather large bank. The female VO has a very nice quality to her voice, but throughout the spot she says"...Bankin accounts..." it comes up twice early in the spot maybe once later and again at the end, and the last time is the only time she says "banking." A male VO takes over for the tag.

At first the dropping of the "g" just irritated me, then it got me thinkin.. :shock: Maybe they had her voice it that way on purpose. It surely caught my ear, and the spot stood out because of that pronounciation.

But to be honest, while I may remember the spot and the bank's name, it turned me off and they won't be gettin my Bidness Bankin bidness.

are we in for another "trend?"
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean "Bankin'" like we say down south kinda bankin'?
Or is it the more insidious and increasingly prevalent "bankeen"?

The morning newslady on NPR says "workeen" and findeen".
I hate it.

I hammer students who have that pronunciation crutch.
It's lazy, like "git" and "jist".
billelder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I'm in the south. You should see local Tv commercials. When owners introduce themselves they usually start with the word "Hi!" But in the south it sounds like "HA!" It's funny because it almost sounds like they've just discovered something! Like "Ah Ha!"

Ha! I'm Bill Elder Laugh
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Ha" thing reminds me of a commercial on TV right now with a NASCAR driver who gets rear-ended and calls his insurance company for assistance while his car is airborne and he's spinning into the air. As far as the "een" for "ing", I believe my late father used to do that, and to my endless chagrin, so do two of my three kids. Guess it skipped a generation or something. Drives me up the wall, but they're my kids and I still love 'em. Not that that won't prevent me from try"een" to break them of the habit!
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,

Maybe that's a form of rebellion! LOL They know it drives you crazy so....

I always liked to do that to General Managers.
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill, I never thought of it that way, ha ha. I don't think so. To tell the truth, I rarely mention it to them because neither one appear to be interested in following my footsteps, so to speak. If they were interested in announcing, I'd be all over them about it, but as any parent knows, you've got to pick your battles and this one isn't worth stressing over. Besides, it's nice to have a reminder of my old man every now and then. I just thank the stars above that none of them say "idear" intstead of "idea" the way my Dad did. But considering his family immigrated from Portugal, and he learned to speak Portuguese before he learned to speak English, he did just fine. It's hard for me to criticize someone who can fluently speak more than one language. It's an impressive skill that I never picked up, unforunately. Living in or near San Diego for the last 15 years, I could have picked up even more work doing Spanish language stuff had I learned it in school. Instead, I took French to be able to sit near the girl I was interested in at the time and dropped out after 3 weeks because I couldn't hack it. Got to date the girl, though, so mission accomplished. She spoke French very well, but she couldn't kiss worth a damn:wink: Oh well. Live and learn!
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! I'm Allen Scofield. Like Bill, I'm in the South too....and you guys crack me up! It's great fun just to sit and read the posts Smile
AmysVoice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I too, would put the "EEN" thing at or near the top of the list..... I was surfing around the radio dial on the way home from the mall today and I tuned into some sort of drug spot (I think) just in time to hear the following:

"......haveen trouble focuseen, or haveen trouble sleepeen or concentrateen......"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!

>^_^<
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breens tears to your eyes, dunnit?
AmysVoice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know it, PJ!

Make it staaaaaaaahhhhhp!!! >^_^<
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: